Wii U so far and the future of the Home Console

Fadelzz

So you've all heard of the up's and downs the Wii U console is having at the moment right? The Wii U's problems isn't the lack of games, because trust me, the console has a lot of exclusives ( We'll get to that), the problem is it's lack of publicity, especially after the release of the PS4 and the XBOX one, I feel like the Wii U is never talked about in the console war. It didn't help either that they didn't have a big E3 conference, but they're having a lot of trouble spreading the news.
Let's go back to it's release in 2012. It started off pretty good with a decent amount of sales, with companies willing to put games like NBA 2K, Fifa, Assasin's creeds, Batman Arkham city, etc. It even released with Nintendo land which is an insanely fun party game that came with the console, and right off the bat a New super Mario bros game. (Which is my favorite in the series) and many other games. The console seemed like it was headed in a good direction.
Now the problem started in 2013. The first actual game that was exclusive to the Wii U, Game and Wario came out in June. JUNE. that's almost 5 months into the year without a Nintendo exlusive, in other words, it was 5 months of the year with no reason for someone to buy the console. So it lost hype, The next big thing was Pikmin 3 that was supposed to launch in march, got delayed to may, then july, then finally Released in August. So that was basically 8 months, without an actual Nintendo exclusive. Sure other games from other publishers came out like Monster hunter 3, Injustice, Resident evil etc. to fill in the bank between the first 8 months. It didn't help that games like GTAV, NBA2K14 Fifa 14, and other big games that release on PS3 and xbox 360 weren't releasing on Wii U. Not only that, but during those horrid 8 months, Sony and Microsoft announced there new consoles, so while Nintendo hadn't been releasing games, they were losing hype,Losing sales, and were buried by the news of the PS4 and XBOX one, which set them back. Even me as a Nintendo fan was sitting there waiting for a game to come out that I really wanted. Game and Wario isn't even one of them, I even heard that game was really bad. And as much as I love Pikmin 3, it's sadly not a game everyone loves and is the reason to by the console, but it is a fantastic game none the less
It was in June in E3, where Nintendo had there chance to kick back in there Hype train by announcing some new titles. They did poorly at getting attention because there E3 conference was a online Nintendo Direct rather than an on stage big show, but they did a good job at showing some fantastic key games like Mario Kart 8, Smash bros, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey-Kong Tropical Freeze and a good amount of 3DS games (We'll eave 3DS to another post). So they had gotten some attention back. by August 2013 , people started buying the Console because there were games on the horizon, but not many were selling because of lack of huge hype, ads etc. But it was really, what i feel should have been the release of the Wii U. Pikmin 3 was release in August, a week later a DLC to new super Mario bros U was released, in September we got Rayman Legends finally ( Which was a Wii U exclusive but delayed from January to September), The Wonderful 101, in October we got the Legend of Zelda wind Waker HD to fill in the gap between the new Zelda Wii U game, Sonic Lost World (Exclusive to Wii U), Assassin's creed, Batman Arkham Origins, and many other games. In November we got the Wii U's juggernaut, Super Mario 3D world, The next entry in the fantastic 3D Mario Game series (I'll put up a review of that soon) and that concluded the year for Wii U.
The sales of the Wii U are at 4.5 million by this point of I'm correct, and we don't know what the sales were this holiday season. It's really this Christmas sale that decides the fact of the Wii U and what Nintendo is going to do next. I think they have a big enough library right now to have bought it this holiday season, and there's plenty of reason to have one in 2014. The PS4 and xbox Ones have already sold 2 million units of there console and they've been out for a month and a half now. So that's not too great for Nintendo, and we gotta hope this holiday brought them good sales, and I'm very curious to know how many units they sold
2014 Is also a big year for the Wii U. In fact the first real big title of 2014 is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze which releases in February. In fact the PS4 doesn't have a big game coming out until march when infamous comes out, and Xbox doesn't have one until March as well which is TitanFall, which isn't even an xbox One Exclusive, it's on PC. I'm also strongly assuming Mario Kart 8 is coming in either march or April since it's release is in spring, then they have smash bros as there other big title, and then E3 comes by and were gonna get some more gaming news, who knows! maybe some Nintendo Direct's will come before then and show us some more stuff. There's also X coming up, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi and Hyrule Warriors, and even that little clip of the next console Pokemon game, that looked really good. So 2014 looks bright for the Wii U.
So yeah, it was long, but it was everything I had to say. I hope the Wii U continues to sell well so Nintendo can keep providing us with fantastic titles and new gameplay experiences, and I believe they can and will. Thank you if you read through all this, and let me know in the comments below what you think! Was I wrong on some points? right in others? What's your stance on the console? Let me know! (It's my first real post, so you can give m feedback :D) e-space:pre">

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

"Wiil Wii U become the family gaming appliance? Or Will The PC boxes replace cable boxes, rendered defunct by ChromeCast and Steam? Find out Next time on DragonBall Z!! "

If Nintendo pull their finger out and actually advertise they will compete. But they love to save money by refusing to advertise, which loses them money by not selling much. In Britain when they do advertise it is solely targeted at 3 year old girls, completely alienating blokes.

Im still holding out hope..........but its purely selfish though. I just dont wanna see my 400 bucks go down the drain. With all the games skippign the console sometimes i feel like i should have just bought em for PS3.

People say the WiiU will do fine.

Though from what I've come to understand is that the WiiU is the slowest selling Nintendo console ever.

I still love it, but the future for the system is bleak.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Though from what I've come to understand is that the WiiU is the slowest selling Nintendo console ever.

It will still be out for 5 years. So don't worry about all that just enjoy

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

It will still be out for 5 years. So don't worry about all that just enjoy

What he said!

Odo

Now the problem started in 2013. The first actual game that was exclusive to the Wii U, Game and Wario came out in June. JUNE. that's almost 5 months into the year without a Nintendo exlusive, in other words, it was 5 months of the year with no reason for someone to buy the console. So it lost hype, The next big thing was Pikmin 3 that was supposed to launch in march, got delayed to may, then july, then finally Released in August.
Pikmin 3 released on the first 12 months was a big mistake. Pikmin is not a game for everyone. It's the same error Nintendo did when they released Animal Crossing in the GC era. The work done for Pikmin would have been more valuable for Wind Waker for example.
So, I think 2014 is the year of Wii U. When I say "the year" I mean 3 things:
1 - 2014 is the first real chance for Wii U be successful. It's got a good library of games, AAA games and many games coming.
2 - After 2014 I will be able to answer if Wii U has future. For me it's hard to answer today.
3 - I hope 2014 will make Wii U successful. This is a fan hope :)

*Also you can check out my Youtube Channel. I recently put up a Top 10 games of 2013, and I have some videos put up if you guys wanna watch, lemme know if you'd like me to make video discussions, reviews etc. i'll do it if you want me toO SO CHECK IT OUT :
http://www.youtube.com/user/superfadelxx3454

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
It'll likely have N64-level sales with a traditional 5-6 year Nintendo home console lifespand with good indie support, stellar 1st/2nd party support, and low 3rd party support, aside from a couple of 3rd party exclusives here and there. Regardless of what happens, I know I'll like it, just like I liked the GameCube and the N64, despite their low sales and inferior 3rd party support in comparison to their competitors (Although the GameCube actually had good 3rd party support, at least from Eastern developers)

elder

Anyone know if Rareware ever plan to come back with Nintnedo someday? Rareware made the Nintendo 64 and GameCube memorable (well, at least for me).