WiiU advertising campaign vs MS and Apple

Cubits

The WiiU's US TV push launched with the now familiar "cube world" ad, and ended up competing with Microsoft's "movement" marketing for the Surface AND Apple's new "Bounce" campaign.

Here we have three commercials with a similar visual style, all vying for recognition of their touchscreen-based devices. It's a curious coincidence, well except for Apple obviously trying to turn the surface ads to its benefit.

For reference:

"Movement": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

"Bounce": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_vLjaN6HE

WiiU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

I find it really interesting that this is all running concurrently, they must be taking shots at each other. Opinions, thoughts?

TL:DR? Casted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJuVn66CKZI

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Out of those, I still think the WiiU's US comercial is the best. The Surface ad is catchy as all hell, in fact I think they outdid Apple with that one, but it also doesn't really show what Surface is about beyond a few screen-sliding fingers and keyboards snapping into place.

The WiiU commercial is really peculiar to me, in that it is not only hip as all hell, but also really demonstrative and accurate to the WiiU'd "something for everyone" philosophy: you have the music wildly changing tone and rhythm, different colored rooms, multicultural families, diverse demographics, multiple game genres, and they're all ultimately tied to the many uses of the gamepad. It's pretty brilliant in my opinion.

While the Surface and Apple ads tell me "this thing is hip as hell for 20-somethings", Nintendo's add tells me "there's something somewhere here for you, no matter who you are" (unless you're a flight-sticking space-sim ultra-geek, I guess).

Which one did you like best, though?

Cubits

"juegosmajicos" wrote: Which one did you like best, though?
Well as a flight-stick space-sim ultra-geek...

I thought the MS ad made a lot of noise, it's memorable but i can't help but think that the surface and keyboard looks significantly like the iPad and smartcover combo. I'm betting that the Apple ad deliberately plays off of that familiarity, and also works in the "stompesque" visuals of Microsoft's effort. Their ad is definitely in response.

I liked that the WiiU commercial showed many varied applications, and did so without being confusing. The divison of the cubicles really helped isolate the instances, and it turns out that people of all races can enjoy the device (good to know!).

But then, i never had an issue with the UK campaign like some did. I thought the "informercial" ad they ran was perfectly suited to the target audience of that specific timeslot, and it included every detail required to pique interest in that demographic.

Either way, the stock until christmas is pretty much already sold to people who aren't being advertised to yet, so the hype-train only has to be just starting to ramp up at this point.

I did really like the old "Wii would like to play" ads, i always found them to be quite geared towards the "gamer" and projected a very strong/precise message. But the world is a different place now... it has dubstep.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Cubits" wrote: Well as a flight-stick space-sim ultra-geek...
Hah, I only said that because I marginally classify myself as a space-sim fan, though I don't have a flight-stick. I've only played the X series, that's why I say marginally.

Menashe

I personally think the Microsoft ad was the best. It was very cool and made me want to get one even though I don't know much about it. The second best was the Wii U, I think. They made it seem pretty stylish although extremely casual. They also did a better job explaining what it was than the other two. The others seemed to be going for setting a tone and implanting an image in the viewer's head so the next time he heads to Best Buy he will think that product is cool. Although the Wii U ad is successful in that when you hear one of your friends just bought a Wii U, even if you're not a major Nintendo fan, you will want to go to their house just to see what it's all about.

Lastly, I think Apple's commercial didn't do anything for me. It wasn't bad, it just didn't win me over in any way.

Ex-Actarus

I really don't get the Wii U campaign.

I think it's absolutely TERRIBLE !

Nintendo really needs to improve its marketing.

Where is that "disruptive" vision that they brought with the Wii ?

Those Wii commercials were so different...

By the way the Apple commercial is by far the best.

it's simple and feels fresh and COOL !

The Microsoft commercial was too much !

And the Wii U commercial feels so "embarassing". Clearly is wasn't orientated toward core gamerz.

That's a mistake !!!

Cubits

"Ex-Actarus" wrote: And the Wii U commercial feels so "embarassing". Clearly is wasn't orientated toward core gamerz.

That's a mistake !!!
Preorders are sold out to "core" gamers, all they have to do is raise awareness amongst the casuals/general public to ensure whatever stock is left over after launch disappears by christmas.

The ads which appeal to gamers will be the game ads.

Ex-Actarus

"Cubits" wrote:
"Ex-Actarus" wrote:
And the Wii U commercial feels so "embarassing". Clearly is wasn't orientated toward core gamerz.

That's a mistake !!!
Preorders are sold out to "core" gamers, all they have to do is raise awareness amongst the casuals/general public to ensure whatever stock is left over after launch disappears by christmas.

The ads which appeal to gamers will be the game ads.
Ok, but can they produce proper ads then ?

Once again those Wii ads 6 years ago, were incredible !

The Wii U ad feels cheap, uninspired and boring...

Koenig

The Architect
I think the wii U ad covers the absolute minimal that it could have, rather than taking on a bold and truly helpful stance.
It showed of the controller well, but did nothing to describe to points about the system that are most important. Getting even more specific:
We were told it was all new, but not that is was a new "console". This is sure to confuse a lot of casual gamers, parents, and even some children into thinking the gamepad is a peripheral, and not a new system.

The advertisement did nothing to show of the software capability's of the system. The applications and internal functionality such as TVii, Mii Verse, Video Chat, Internet functionality, and Backwards Compatibility were completely bypassed. Games make or break a console, but features such as these are the deciding point for many customers today. Ignoring them essential ignore's half of the system.

The games were not listed. A lesser complaint, is that none of the games shown were even given a subtitle to identify them by. Many consumers who are either less game-savy, or have not done research lately will not know what game to look for in stores if they were interested in what was shown. On a side note, it also wasted a huge chance to show that the console will be getting 3rd party. If they had shown even a rapid slideshow of multi-platform games that are available, it could have bolstered the attention of many more potential customers.

Beyond its basic slogan: "How U will Play Next" I saw nothing memorable in this advertisement. A stark Contrast to the "Wii would like to play" add series the former console had at launch, which were advertisements I actually looked forward to back in the day.

"Koenig" wrote: Beyond its basic slogan: "How U will Play Next" I saw nothing memorable in this advertisement. A stark Contrast to the "Wii would like to play" add series the former console had at launch, which were advertisements I actually looked forward to back in the day.
This exactly. I was expecting to maybe see Japanese guys showing up at peoples doorsteps with a Wii U GamePad.

Aki

"NintendoMan" wrote:
"Koenig" wrote:
Beyond its basic slogan: "How U will Play Next" I saw nothing memorable in this advertisement. A stark Contrast to the "Wii would like to play" add series the former console had at launch, which were advertisements I actually looked forward to back in the day.
This exactly. I was expecting to maybe see Japanese guys showing up at peoples doorsteps with a Wii U GamePad.
I too enjoyed the Wii commercials with the bros just showing up at your door. I think they should have brought them back, it would have been way more interesting than the current commercials. From a marketing standpoint, they're good, they do what they need to do. They inform the consumer of the product, what's new, what's separates it from the competition, the price, availability, and so on. However, I feel as if they're bland and showing off the worst game of the console. I mean, seriously, NintendoLand? I know it has the most GamePad uses, but still. The Super Mario Bros. U commercial is a bit better.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The last few posts are interesting. I thought the commercial already showed the system's philosophy very well, but I totally agree with Koenig that so many features were completely ignored, and customers are bound to be confused as to which games they're looking for when they show up at the store.

The fact of the matter is, I think, that the WiiU has way too much ground to cover. Considering all it is, how extensive of a marketing campaign would they need to really cover everything there is to be covered, such as the system's philosophy, its casual games, it's core games, it's third party games, it's features like TVii and Miiverse, its controller, and so on?

it's probably a bigger task than any electronics manufacturer has ever had before, I would think.

"juegosmajicos" wrote: it's probably a bigger task than any electronics manufacturer has ever had before, I would think.
Yeah, it's a big task. But this is their chance to take over. I mean, this holiday season is theirs for the taking. They need to go big and loud, hit hard and fast, and show the diversity of the system and the games. This is Nintendo's moment to shine and set the tone for this next gen. They need to pull out a PaveLow before the others launch.

Koenig

The Architect
"SofaSpy" wrote: I think this eBay ad is a perfect example of how Nintendo should target their commercials, especially to causal gamers.

Agreed. Though it could be "Spiced up" a little bit and condensed to increase interest.
Something like that would simply be better than what they have right now.