World of Light - 2019 Games Completed Thread

BobSilencieux

DOOM (NS)

Holy shitting fuck, this game is so good it makes me get my swears in a muddle. Picked it up with a 50% discount on the e-shop, 2 years late. I wish I'd paid full price and got in early. Played on Hurt Me Plenty and did 100% of everything in the game except for upgrading one single rune. Then immediately started an Ultra Violence run and got my ass handed to me by a possessed soldier in the first level. Fun times. I absolutely love this game.

One more for DOOM Enthusiast

Streets of Rage 2*** (PC)

The first SoR was pretty good, not enough to convert me into a believer of the genre but enough to make want to eventually play the rest of the series, especially considering how beautiful 4 is looking. I also think the developers did a great job with Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap.

To quote Bob above, "holy shitting fuck". I don't use this word often unironically, but this game is legit dope. First off, the music is so good. It may involve my philosophy of how music is a big part of making a game better than what it would be without it. This is some of the best stuff I heard made on the Genesis. Level 3 was always a joy to go through because of the music. Its setting is a carnival in the night, going on a pirate ship ride, in an arcade with bad guys playing the machines, to a horror house that is almost copy-right infringing on the Alien franchise (so extra bonus points there). The song is so fucking good.

There are 4 characters to pick from: Max, Axel, Blaze and Skater. Max is a beast that can deal out some serious damage and take a lot too, but is really slow. Axel and Blaze are very similar in terms of power and speed. Blaze has the additional benefit of being in a pleasingly short skin tight skirt. Skater is fast and very fun to use his moves, but is the weakest so he can be a bit troublesome for some bosses.

I admire the controls too. On my 4th playthrough I was still learning some moves. You can grab people and depending on what direction you hold while attacking, you'll do a different attack. If you "jump" while grabbing you'll flip over to do a suplex. On my last playthrough I learned if you attack while flipping you'll just toss them across the screen. There's surprisingly a nice bit to discover with three buttons.

That sad, it's a beat-em-up so there has to be some absolute pigs of enemies and sure enough there are a couple. Still, it's not enough to make me hate the game. I think Streets of Rage 2 finally broke down the wall. I'm gonna play 3 soon and want to try other games like Final Fight.

I played a bit all week after sessions of this game:

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (PC)

I've talked about how much I enjoy the Ys series, but I never played anything else by the developer Falcom. This was on sale for next to nothing so I decided to give it a go. It was made in 2004 for the PC but I swear it could have been a Dreamcast game from 2000. I wouldn't be shocked at all if I learned it was made on the same engine as Sonic Adventure. It also reminds me of when I use to rent weird N64 games from Blockbluster. It's because of these reasons this game gave me a huge feeling of nostalgia without even knowing about it until looking up Falcom's other games. Very weird, I don't think that's happened before.

I think that's a substantial reason why I love this game so much. Still, weird nostalgia aside it was a joy to play. It's an action RPG that if it was any cuter it would cause some singularity in space-time. You're a girl who moves to her Grandpa's in a town with no other kids. Most of the town works in the nearby mine. She eventually befriends a group of Monsters who lives in a parallel dimension accessed in the back allies. The enemies known as Phantoms destroys the town and scatters the Monsters. You'll rescue the townsfolk and at the end of each level you'll find something that belonged to them, like a bookshelf, boombox, rubber ducky, etc. As you return these items and make the monsters happier, more of the world map is accessible.

Combat involves using the drill as a sword. You can buy upgrades and new moves for it, along with different hats with benefits (heal on critical attacks, elemental attack bonus, have chests show up on the map, etc). It's a good system all said. I bring up Sonic Adventure because jumping has that particular jank that's really hard to explain. The camera can be finicky making platforming a bit tough at some parts.

It also took me 10ish hours and I feel like that was the perfect length for it. I unlocked hard mode and pajamas as a costume. When I went to change the outfit I noticed quite a bit of others that I didn't get so there is replay value, not sure if I will anytime soon though. There's also hidden Platinum medals throughout the game to find.

I'm really happy I played this one. The team over at Falcom are some unsung heroes for sure. They may not get a lot of attention outside their niche, but damn can they craft some enjoyable stuff. I recently read that the CEO of Falcom is a bit sad that people are turned off from their games due to their graphics. I liked what I've played by them so far visually, which is mostly older stuff, but compare the newest Ys game to what else you find on the PS4 and I can see why people would shrug them off. Still, considering how I'm more emotionally invested and fulfilled story-wise with Ys and Gurumin then I have been with Square "story DLC" Enix lately I think more people should give Ys a go.

(Sorry for that side rant)

(I now realize that I use these threads to fill the itch of writing since I no longer write for the main site - hope nobody minds)

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Shovel Knight - Shovel of Hope (NS)

I'm very late to the game on Shovel Knight, but I finally got around to playing it, and oh my is it a great game! There was definitely some precision platforming involved, and I died more times than I'd like to admit. Now I'm working on playing the next in the Shovel Knight series.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Shovel Knight - Shovel of Hope (NS)

I'm very late to the game on Shovel Knight, but I finally got around to playing it, and oh my is it a great game! There was definitely some precision platforming involved, and I died more times than I'd like to admit. Now I'm working on playing the next in the Shovel Knight series.
I’ve finished them all so far, and Shovel Knight is the easiest. The other 2 are freakin great tho!

BobSilencieux

DOOM * (NS)

The Ultra Violence run. God this game is incredible. The step up in difficulty over Hurt Me Plenty is pretty huge, and it's almost like you never played the real game before. I mean, if you only played DOOM on Hurt Me Plenty, you missed out on so much gameplay, so many tactics and techniques that are required to get past the enemy onslaught in higher difficulties. Because Hurt Me Plenty is so trivially easy in retrospect, you can just tank damage and not even notice, never mind have to worry about it. So you never have to learn and adapt to situations, never have to strategise, never have to improve your skills. Ultra Violence really tests you, and it's a much better game for it. It really showcases the true depth of the game.

Unfortunately, I also felt at times that it was showcasing the limitations of the Switch control scheme. In some of the harder sections, it seemed pretty obvious that the game is really meant to be played with KB&M. The accuracy and responsiveness just isn't there. Better motion controls probably would have helped, but as it is, some sections seemed needlessly (and unintentionally) harder than others. Still, this has been something of a revelation for me; it's not often that a game elicits a second play-through immediately after I complete the first.

Also, I love the game so much that I don't feel ready to consider myself 'done' with it just yet. Maybe I'll try some Ultra Nightmare runs just for fun...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Dead Space 3 (PC)

I thought of just moving past this game and not writing anything about it. But that would be unfair to it; it's not that bad. Besides, I don't want to be the type of writer who only writes about things that make him feel good. Hell, I wrote an article for Tyson's website, TheTotalScreen, titled "It's Good to Watch Bad Movies," where I argued that a bad movie should be cherished more than a good one because of what it can teach us about good storytelling.

So, let me take the same approach to Dead Space 3: I don't like it, and the things that are good about Dead Space are conspicuous by their absence in this third game in the trilogy.

I'll start with the most important absence: the horror. If Dead Space 2 departed from the eerie, quiet dread of the first game, Dead Space 3 goes further towards something of a carnival shooting gallery. It used to be that I worried about what type of necromorph I would encounter next, and once they did, I'd have a moment of panic as I tried to pull up the best weapon I had for that situation, and did my best to run away toward a safer area. In Dead Space 3, all enemies behave exactly the same, rushing me at breakneck speed. My answer is always the same: use the single one-size-fits-all weapon I've crafted to blast enemies away from me and shoot them all in the limbs before they can reach me again.

Not that weapon crafting is necessarily a bad idea. Sure, having weapons with limited abilities added an element of tension to a game, as I had to be thoughtful about how to spend my crafting materials and which weapons to bring depending on the type of encounter I could anticipate and what type of ammo I had scavenged. But the universal ammo and crafted weapons that allow me to make a weapon that fits my playstyle closely is not inherently bad. It just happens to be bad in this game because of the lack of variety in enemy encounters. As I said, most of the enemies have no need to differentiate themselves from one another, since they all move at incredible speeds, so that I'm fighting off an overwhelming rush of enemies 90% of the time.

The plot has become even more idiotic than the gory meet-cute rom-com of Dead Space 2. Instead, Dead Space 3 is a story about a depressed nerd trying to win back the girl that left him for a jock. It's not far from a High School love triangle story, but with gore. It's amazing that the writers went with that for a plot while also introducing a legitimately cool cosmic horror scenario that not only ties neatly the mystery of necromorphs and unitology but also paints a truly hopeless and maddening future for the human race in the story. However, you resolve this horror of the cosmos in the only way EA knows: you shoot it to death.

Apparently, there is one cool thing about this action game. When you play it in co-op, the other player, Carver, sometimes experiences hallucinations that Isaac can't see. Now imagine that you and your friend are playing this game while in voice chat. Suddenly he says, "whoa, that was trippy. Where did the scary thing go?" To which you say, "what thing? I didn't see anything...." In this highly rare scenario, you could have a cute little power-of-gaming moment that you would otherwise not even know about if you only played it in single player, like the previous two games in the series.

As for what the game itself tried to do that was cool and new: the first 5 or so hours of the game take place in an open world setting in space. There's tension, there's exploration, and there are surprises. But there's also a general feeling of playing a prototype. If the whole game had been developed in this game, it could have been memorable. As it is, I only replayed it to finish the trilogy a second time around, and I'll probably never play it again in my life.

Last edited:
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)

My Pokemon adventures continued with SoulSilver. I sank quite a bit of time into this one as a kid, and I can still see why. I love the scenarios in this game and the Gen 2 Pokemon are pretty cool from a design point. That said, hoo boy there is a ton of grinding in this game. I got 50 hours on the dot on my save file and no joke it feels like half of that was simply grinding. Maybe I picked a less than optimal team but my issue is with how battles are.

I get 6 badges, in the town for the 7th, I go to fight Team Rocket and one of them still sent out a level 16 Ratata. I mean, come on. The areas surrounding the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gym don't have that high level Pokemon in the wild so I spent quite a bit of timing just buffing some Pokemon. Same with the Elite 4 because Lance just got to have three Dragonites don't he?

Kanto went smoothly, I caught a Murkrow because I always liked it. Once I beaten all the 8 Kanto leaders I wanted to fight Red but I knew I was too underleveled so I went to grind the Elite 4 and to my surprise, they all get brand new higher level teams. So what does that mean? More grinding wild Pokemon. I had to catch an Articuno because I needed something to be super effective against Dragon types. I ended up getting my Pokemon team from the 50s to 65. My Espeon ended the game at 72.

One feature I did like was hunting down the gym leaders to rematch them and their new team.

In short, I do love this game still but if I ever do replay it, I might just play the OG Gen 2 games.

Next up, in time, will be Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby. I never played Gen 3 or 4 so I'm heading into some unfamiliar territory. The only Gen 3 or 4 Pokemon I'm somewhat familiar with is whichever ones popped up in SoulSilver post game, Black or Y. I never played Black or Y in quite some time (especially Black) so I know very little going forward.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)

Next up, in time, will be Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby. I never played Gen 3 or 4 so I'm heading into some unfamiliar territory. The only Gen 3 or 4 Pokemon I'm somewhat familiar with is whichever ones popped up in SoulSilver post game, Black or Y. I never played Black or Y in quite some time (especially Black) so I know very little going forward.
Thankfully the Gen 3 Remakes give you the EXP share, which will allow you to get experience for your entire party.

It should help keep the grinding down by a lot (but yeah, HGSS have a very jank difficulty curve because of how they made it possible to do some of the gyms out of order).

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (PS3)

Started this last week but just finished it up. It's not a long game but it's made by Platinum so every minute is great. Just gonna say it now, this may be my favorite Platinum game yet, although I can hear my copy of MadWorld screaming out to me.

It tackles some serious topics like Metal Gear but than it has Raiden slice a Metal Gear Ray in half. I'd say it's 85% Platinum and 15% Kojima in terms of tone and story. Some classic lines involve "Nanomachines son", "If America is gone to shit you're just another maggot crawling on the pile", and "The memes!". So yeah that's what we're dealing with.

Gameplay wise, it's just so damn slick. It hypes me up and the music compliments it so well. I can't comprehend how my teenage self would have reacted to this game.

Not much more to say really, besides Fuck Yeah.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (PS3)

Started this last week but just finished it up. It's not a long game but it's made by Platinum so every minute is great. Just gonna say it now, this may be my favorite Platinum game yet, although I can hear my copy of MadWorld screaming out to me.

It tackles some serious topics like Metal Gear but than it has Raiden slice a Metal Gear Ray in half. I'd say it's 85% Platinum and 15% Kojima in terms of tone and story. Some classic lines involve "Nanomachines son", "If America is gone to shit you're just another maggot crawling on the pile", and "The memes!". So yeah that's what we're dealing with.

Gameplay wise, it's just so damn slick. It hypes me up and the music compliments it so well. I can't comprehend how my teenage self would have reacted to this game.

Not much more to say really, besides Fuck Yeah.
I love this game, I hope it comes to Switch so everyone here can experience it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Resident Evil 2 (PC)

This is the best remake of all time. There is no competition except for the remake of the first Resident Evil, and honestly this is better, straight up. What a great game. Go get it if you haven't yet.

Alright, let me have at this with some discipline. I'll talk first to those that never played the original, and then to those that did.

Resident Evil 2 takes a very similar approach to design to the first game in the series: most of the game takes place in maze-like areas with unlockable shortcuts, puzzles, increasingly dangerous enemies, scarce resources, and a mystery that unravels slowly. Just like the mansion in the first game, the bulk of the game takes place in the excellently designed 4-story-and-a-basement police station. The game demands that you learn the layout of the police station and that you become familiar with the monsters roaming its halls and corridors, to ultimately solve a puzzle while running away from a deeply menacing foe. To say more would be spoiling the game.

Combat is simple: you point and shoot. You can use knives to fend off attackers, but unlike other games in the series, these are easy to lose and hard to replace. In actuality, monsters are hard enough to take down that, often, you're better off running away to a safer area, if you can find one.

The music is scarce and sets the mood minimally, which is alright because you need to be trying to listen to enemy sounds, anyway. These sounds are a real auditory treat, especially as they're very effective at communicating the type of threat that a monster represents: zombies moan and drag their feet along the ground, clickers clack and let a deep growl, and the Tyrant, well, I won't spoil that either.

Generally, the puzzles are simple but that works well with the constant stress of the scarce resources. The complex wordplay piano puzzles are best left to Silent Hill, in my opinion. Here, it's hard enough to remember where to use the crank when you have no health and need to keep running to the next safe area.

As the game progresses, the areas become more streamlined and more filled with action. While I would say the later parts of the game aren't the best, it's good that this variety exists to keep the game from becoming monotonous, especially with replays. This is especially necessary if you want to experience the full story of the game, as you have to play two different scenarios (Leon and Claire) in order to do this. Regardless of the order in which you play these scenarios, the second one will be harder, shorter, more open, and still have some surprises in store, so it's worth playing.

Now, to those that have already played the original Resident Evil 2 on the PlayStation or the N64: this is the game you remember, better than you remember it. Practically every little moment from the original is in here, but some things are changed to keep the surprise factor. The biggest of these is the way the Tyrant behaves, which, again, I won't spoil. Most importantly, the shift to an over-the-shoulder camera doesn't turn the game into a shooting gallery like it did for Resident Evil 4 (as good as that game was); to be clear, it has the fun of Resident Evil 4 with the horror of Resident Evil 2, all wrapped up in a shiny package with modern graphics and sounds that enhance the experience rather than replace it with something else.

My top wish for this game is that it would get a good rogue-like sort of DLC like Alien Isolation did. Otherwise, I can't wait for the inevitable remake of Resident Evil 3. Considering the changes done to the Tyrant in this game, I can imagine just how awesome they'll make Nemesis in the next one...

...Or so I would have liked to say, but the rumor going around says that the Resident Evil 3 Remake is being made outside of Capcom by a different team, and that it's not what we'd expect. My fingers are crossed.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Turok 2 (PC)

When I was just a wee lad visiting my cousins, my grandma would tell me to stop playing videogames and go outside to enjoy the nice weather. But I was too busy trying to beat Turok 2 without a memory pak. Turok 2 isn't the kind of game you beat without a memory pak - my final playtime on PC was over 16 hours.

As a kid, I thought it was so cool how the humanoid dinosaurs would walk around shooting, throw grenades, and have their heads blow up when hit with an exploding arrow from the zoom-in tek-bow. Over 20 years later, it's...uh, you know what? It's still cool as hell.

Playing it now that it's been beautifully ported to PC by Nightdive Studios (who now have the rights to the System Shock franchise and plan to release remakes of System Shock 1 and 2, as well as an original sequel) feels a bit like this:

...If you multiply that by 100. I played it at a buttery smooth 1440p60 (unfortunately the framerate is capped at 60 fps at the engine level, so I couldn't play it at 144 Hz), with all the graphics maxed out, and it still sort of looks like ass.

But at least it plays a lot better now thanks to the 60 Hz refresh rate and mouse aiming. I would like to say that it was easy to beat the game now that I could pop headshots easily, but, honestly, it's a pretty tense and punishing game, and that's even with my pathological need to use the Quick Save feature.

I need to mention that, now that I knew that a good part of Iguana Entertainment would go on to form Retro Studios, I could see that this game was an obvious predecessor to the Prime series. It's noticeable in the enemy animations, the boss fights, the level design, and the general game structure which requires you to retraverse past areas to find all the collectibles in order to progress through the game. It's nothing so meaningful as getting a double jump or the Gravity Suit, but it's there anyway, and it makes the game better than if it was just a shooting gallery.

On PC, for $20, it's a solid purchase; it's also coming to Switch sometime later. If the gyro controls are good, I'd recommend it. Especially if, like me, a younger version of yourself made an oath to one day beat this game.

Last edited:
Streets of Rage 3 (PC)

I beat 3 with my girl Blaze for obvious reasons. I did play on Easy for other obvious reasons but the jokes on me, it's one of those games where you can't do the last couple of levels unless you're on Normal or Higher. The "final" boss even says you fight like a beginner (along with a nice close up of his face in ruins). Well fuck you too game, let me just go into the options menu and unlock the stage select.

And with this I finish the game on Easy and all it costed me was a little bit of pride. The game itself? Yeah it is easy but the first few bosses are oddly some of the hardest. Most of the normal goons are pretty big chumps, but that wasn't enough to damper the amount of fun this was. Using the technology of a 6-button Genesis controller, you can now attack behind you without awkwardly holding the jump + attack button. You also get a new special button that depending on your inputs depends on what new attack you can do (along with the returning separate special from 2). The way to beat down street trash is pretty amazing.

That said, I think I prefer 2. 3 went for a almost dystopian cyber-punk flare. You fight robots (well, robots did show up in the other games to be fair), but this one the art style and levels really lean heavily on it. Now, you'll never hear me say "wow that game really should have lean off on the robots" but I just prefer the neon-soak 80's vibe from 1 and 2. Walking down streets at night, or the carnival level with an arcade in it, all top notch stuff. Even the soundtrack leans more towards the theme. On it's own it's one of if not the most technically amazing soundtracks on the Genesis, but again, the bumpin' techno from 2 just appeals to me more.

Great series overall. For a comparison I booted up 1 for a little bit and wow, what a leap backwards. One attack button and no stand still animation for the less detail character sprites. I think it's safe to say SoR 3 really works the Genesis to its limit.

Okay, bring on the gorgeous 4 now.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Nioh (PC)

Beat it first on PS4 (sunk well over 300 hours into that version, lol), and then got this version on sale (comes with all three DLC expansions). Base campaign was very different feeling since I had access to Tonfa and the Odachi, as well as having DLC enemies sprinkled throughout regular missions (like they did with the PS4 version with the higher difficulties).

Went with Tonfa this playthrough, along with light armor and a heavy emphasis on ninjutsu. Very different from my Heavy Armor/ Axe style of the first time.

Gato Roboto (PC)
Banjo-Kazooie (N64)

I finished it last week but just forgot to write about it. It's a Metroidvania where you play as a cat in a mech suit. You can control the cat out of the suit to navigate narrow passages but all the offensive capabilities come from the mech itself.

Overall, the game reminds me of an inverse Xeodrifter. Xeodrifter was a fun little game with really cool power ups, but the game was so short and the bosses so repetitive it didn't have the space or time to make the most out of them (despite some pretty cool sections). Gato kinda has the reverse problem where the power ups are pretty stock standard for the genre but the map is a bit bigger (still short though, Steam says 3 hours). You get missiles, a double jump and a dash. I completely forgot about the dash after I got it until I got the ability to dash in air for a make shift Space Jump from Metroid.

I like the game, and I admit making the main character a cat did draw me in, but like Xeodrifter, it needed a little extra something. I get it, it's indie and whatnot, and as is it's a perfectly serviceable glass of skim milk, but I would like to see a potential sequel bigger with more upgrades.

Also I did finish Banjo awhile ago, just forgot again.

Y'know, when I think of potential favorite games of all time a few comes to mind: Resident Evil 4, Mega Man X, Super Mario World, Pokemon Blue/Red, Pikmin, etc. Banjo-Kazooie rarely comes to mind but fuck if it ain't a great game to this day. Rare really were the star players in the 5th generation and Banjo remains such a fun and tightly crafted game even after all these years.

I finished up Celeste (NS)

Wow. Just. Wow. This was a super fun, super challenging, and incredibly charming game.

The last chapter in particular was a beast of a level to get through. 628 deaths, I believe.

I didn't do stuff like Side B or crystals or go out of my way to get cherries or anything like that. The game was plenty challenging enough, imo, just getting through the incredible adventure the devs laid out before me. (although I did collect the side B cassette for one level because I got lost)

What I liked, and really appreciated, was how the story and the gameplay were interwoven without seeming trite or tired. The story gave me just the push I needed (or the well deserved short little break I needed) to puzzle out the solution to the next challenge, and to give myself enough motivation to carry through with the execution. Madeline is a very relatable character, and the other few characters on Celeste Mountain are very memorable and charming in their own right.

About the only problem I had with the game enough to care about typing about it, was the occasional inaccurate controls, but it's hard to say if that's more the fault of the game, or the Switch Pro's Dpad. (sometimes I would want Madeline to jump straight up, and she just refused to do so. And although the default air dash is sideways to the direction she's facing, I only know this because holding forward didn't always have her dash straight on)

The music was great. Very catchy tunes that fit the tone of the stages they were attached to, and would fade in and out to build or release tension appropriately.

Sprite/artwork was great as well. The sprite work is fairly minimalist, but still really detailed at the same time, and the character portraits were well drawn, expressive, and sometimes did some interesting things that I wasn't expecting and yet loved because of that.

I don't really have a good way to close this, so lemme just say again. Wow.

What a great game.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS3)
The Messenger (PC)

I played Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain a couple of years ago and thought pretty highly of it. It was a bit clunky but nothing major. The world design and story/lore was pretty cool. Soul Reaver made me really invested in the world of Nosgoth. It takes place centuries after the true ending of Blood Omen and you really get the sense that this is a dying world, makes me wonder if my actions would really affect anything in the long run (in a good way story-telling wise).

Gameplay wise it ain't a top down adventure anymore, it's a 3D Metroidvania really. You explore the world and after getting new abilities you can access more parts of the map and find hidden power ups. It's not like Zelda where there is a clear overworld and separate dungeons, you can start in one section and seamlessly end up climbing a former cathedral now inhabited by vampires. It is a PS1 game so it ain't full on Breath of the Wild or anything, but this is one of the most impressive PS1 games I've played yet. There are even sections I definitely missed out on. There are 7 magic spells in the game and besides 1, they are all optional and I only managed to find 2. Each one has a puzzle too so it really is a game that you can sink some time into exploring everything.

The creature design is also badass. The second boss really stole the show in terms of design. The story revolves around killing different vampire factions, and over the centuries they evolved into different beings. One faction turned more aquatic, while another can cling to walls and cocoon their victims. Learning about them, the history of the world and what happened between games is pretty engrossing stuff.

The music is also badass.

The frame rate can be atrocious though. One area doesn't feel smooth at all and it can dip regularly making the whole game needlessly clunky or slow. I would love a remaster/remake/rewhatever, just give me a smooth framerate.

Onto part two of "games the impressed the shit out of me": The Messenger.

Just buy it.

I picked it up on sale (30-ish% off) and I feel kinda bad about it. I feel like I should have paid full price for it. It's just so damn good. The controls are butter, the music is great, the writing is solid that made me laugh a few times, and the mechanics are stellar. I really love the movement system in this game. You can jump, attack anything and get a second jump from that, and you can do this continuously. A wing suit allows you to glide, and a rope dart can pull you towards items and enemies at high speeds. All of these, plus wall climbing and jumping, can be used together to make some fantastic movement. Coupled with great level design, just...damn.

Katana Zero (NS)

I'll be honest, this game isn't exactly what I thought it was going to be from the trailer. The main gameplay segments were definitely still as fun as I had hoped, but there was way more emphasis on story than I had expected, to the detriment of my overall enjoyment.

Also, a little way in to the game, it suddenly and unexpectedly goes off into "fuck fuck bitch motherfucker" territory. Which would have been nothing more than rather jarring, had my 10 year old daughter not been sitting with me at the time, watching the screen and displaying her quick reading skills...

I finished up Celeste (NS)

Wow. Just. Wow. This was a super fun, super challenging, and incredibly charming game.
Wow.
What a great game.
I absolutely BLOODY LOVED Celeste. I loved it to the point that I remember doing all of the B-sides and even the first couple of C-sides. Your write-up has made me want to go back and play it again... not that I have the time...