World of Light - 2019 Games Completed Thread

Iconoclasts (PS4)

Jeez, I don't even know where to start with this one. One the surface and for the first few hours it's a beautiful Metroivania (more so Fusion than Super with separate levels) with upbeat music and fun gameplay. By the end, I legit feel drained emotionally.

As the game goes on the dialogue and cutscenes do go on longer, and some levels become smaller. It's a gradual shift in tone and style but the first few hours are definitely different than the end hours.

There is a lot of moments in this game that will stick with me for a long time. The thing is though, I don't fully understand this game. The story admittedly starts off throwing a bit too much at you in terms of lore and such, so it took awhile for me to have the basic grasp of it all, but by the time I did more shit is happening. A lot of characters talk about topics of religion and philosophy, and maybe I'm just a stinky brain dumb dumb but a bit of it flew over my head. Side characters come and go, villains die sooner than expected, the main issue at hand feels bigger than you yet at the same time (without spoiler) you solve it in the end by simply dealing with it.

One particular character throughout the game I was waiting to see what their beef was. Towards the end it's explained a bit but I still didn't understand her motivations, yet when you fought them, and then what happens after, I couldn't help but being really fucking sad despite them being a huge dick throughout the whole game.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't form a coherent write up about it. I guess some people would say the story is pretentious or poorly written, and I wouldn't necessarily argue with them, but even just having a basic grasp of the story at large and not fully understanding quite a few character motivations and such, I can't help but feel attached to it all. The music really helps too, it almost tells the story as much as the dialogue at points.

Other than that, my main gripe with the actual game is the hidden stuff. You know how Metroidvanias work, hidden power ups and health pick ups. Not this one, all you get is one of four materials which you use to make buffs like one free hit, power up melee, faster movement, etc. The problem is, none of it really feels important besides longer breath underwater, which stops being a thing early on. Towards the end of the game I completely stopped caring. The game has it's fair share of puzzles which I loved, so I only found the materials if there was a puzzle, I stopped backtracking to earlier areas because I didn't need any of it.

So at the end of the day, I love this game. As a game, it does have some structure issues but it controls very well, is one of the most beautiful pixel-based games I've seen and the music, holy fuck the music. The story: as muddled as it can be, I simply can't hate it. Despite being in the dark about a handful of things, it made me feel so it's doing something right.

It reminds me of playing the ps1-era Final Fantasy's as a kid. I didn't fully understand the themes and what exactly was happening at times, but I still think about them to this day. I have a feeling Iconoclasts won't be leaving my mind for a long ass time.

I need a "dumb fun" game now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Iconoclasts (PS4)

Jeez, I don't even know where to start with this one. One the surface and for the first few hours it's a beautiful Metroivania (more so Fusion than Super with separate levels) with upbeat music and fun gameplay. By the end, I legit feel drained emotionally.

As the game goes on the dialogue and cutscenes do go on longer, and some levels become smaller. It's a gradual shift in tone and style but the first few hours are definitely different than the end hours.

There is a lot of moments in this game that will stick with me for a long time. The thing is though, I don't fully understand this game. The story admittedly starts off throwing a bit too much at you in terms of lore and such, so it took awhile for me to have the basic grasp of it all, but by the time I did more shit is happening. A lot of characters talk about topics of religion and philosophy, and maybe I'm just a stinky brain dumb dumb but a bit of it flew over my head. Side characters come and go, villains die sooner than expected, the main issue at hand feels bigger than you yet at the same time (without spoiler) you solve it in the end by simply dealing with it.

One particular character throughout the game I was waiting to see what their beef was. Towards the end it's explained a bit but I still didn't understand her motivations, yet when you fought them, and then what happens after, I couldn't help but being really fucking sad despite them being a huge dick throughout the whole game.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't form a coherent write up about it. I guess some people would say the story is pretentious or poorly written, and I wouldn't necessarily argue with them, but even just having a basic grasp of the story at large and not fully understanding quite a few character motivations and such, I can't help but feel attached to it all. The music really helps too, it almost tells the story as much as the dialogue at points.

Other than that, my main gripe with the actual game is the hidden stuff. You know how Metroidvanias work, hidden power ups and health pick ups. Not this one, all you get is one of four materials which you use to make buffs like one free hit, power up melee, faster movement, etc. The problem is, none of it really feels important besides longer breath underwater, which stops being a thing early on. Towards the end of the game I completely stopped caring. The game has it's fair share of puzzles which I loved, so I only found the materials if there was a puzzle, I stopped backtracking to earlier areas because I didn't need any of it.

So at the end of the day, I love this game. As a game, it does have some structure issues but it controls very well, is one of the most beautiful pixel-based games I've seen and the music, holy fuck the music. The story: as muddled as it can be, I simply can't hate it. Despite being in the dark about a handful of things, it made me feel so it's doing something right.

It reminds me of playing the ps1-era Final Fantasy's as a kid. I didn't fully understand the themes and what exactly was happening at times, but I still think about them to this day. I have a feeling Iconoclasts won't be leaving my mind for a long ass time.

I need a "dumb fun" game now.
Alright, I get notifications for this game on sale pretty often and always ignore it but I guess I'll buy it next time.

Wolfenstein 2009 (PS3)

So I said I wanted some dumb fun, and my word is this game dumb. It isn't Metal Wolf Chaos or Resident Evil 6 dumb, but Nazis using the power of a parallel dimension to fuel super weapons to attack a city in Germany is pretty fucking out there.

At the time of release this game garnered some "meh" reviews and I can honestly see why, but in this age of looter shooters and seasonal updates and Activision being garbage, it's refreshing. You can carry all the games weapons at once and while you don't run 60 mph like Doom Guy, you do get to use some fun yet generic powers like shield, extra damage or slow down time. I didn't use these too much until the end levels where the difficulty jumped up, but the basic power of just going to the alternate dimension speeds your movement up so I used that quite often.

New Order might be my favorite Wolfenstein game but I really do like this and Return to Castle Wolfenstein's absurdity. It's a video game and has a silly concept so they just run with it. New Order is fantastic minus a couple of segments, but I think the writing is what elevates it, which is sadly mishandled in New Colossus (along with other issues).

Hard to imagine being nostalgic for generic mid Gen 7 shooters but that's what years of garbage AAA publishing does to ya.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PC)

Got the true ending because well, about 20 to 30 percent of the game is behind getting it (story wise, too). Very fun, old school JRPG that has me interested in playing more of the series that I never played much of.
If you never played Dragon Quest V, that's a phenomenal entry in the series. The DS remake is great.

Goldeneye (n64)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

Over the course of the past couple of weeks I've read three 007 books: Goldfinger, For Your Eyes Only, and Thunderball. Couple this with the recently announced title of Bond 25: No Time To Die, and I was in the mood for a 007 game. I never actually owned Goldeneye but I did borrow it off my step brother in high school. I hunted down a copy and spent the weekend with it.

Besides how sensitive aiming is, I think this game mostly holds up. Levels like Facility, Frigate, and Silo are still some of my favorite levels in a FPS. I love how different difficulties add more objectives to the stage. Everyone goes on with how influential and amazing Goldeneye is, yet I wonder why more games don't copy this. All I can think of is Perfect Dark and maybe TimeSplitters (never spent much time with that series).

Some elements do suck though. Some stages prefer if you stealth by but the stealth sucks. Most levels you get a silenced PPK but one level you have to stealth with an assault rifle. Fire it normally and goons never stop coming, but fire it while in aim mode you fire a single shot and suddenly no one hears it. Okay...Enemies spot you quick but there's really no way of seeing around corners so it's pretty weird. It seems like some sections of the levels summons the goon brigade yet other sections don't.

The frame rate can also suck, and some levels are suuuuper dark (maybe it's my tv). Still, I do love this game despite it's age, there's just nothing quite like it in terms of structure and atmosphere (the music is also baller). As much as I enjoy the Wiimake, I hope the stars can align and they do an HD Remaster like with Perfect Dark. It's been too long since a new 007 game came out and I really wonder why no one snagged the license since Activision moved on. I really want someone to do to 007 what Rocksteady did to Batman or Insomniac did to Spiderman.

So after played 007 I was in the mood for a FPS from this millennium. Wolfenstein Young Blood's recent release got me thinking of the series again, which caused me to picked up Wolf '09 awhile back. I remember "liking" Old Blood but after this playthrough, shit, I adore it. Everything just comes together so well. It's amazing to me how balanced the tone is. It has Nazi Zombies, a guy in a mech suit screaming at you about his dog, and a giant monster hidden underground. Yet the characters and dialogue are written in a way that makes it not overly zany to the point where the tone is all over the place *cough New Colossus cough*. There's a true sense of weight on BJ's shoulders that makes everything feel important. The best way I can sum it up is when I watch the end cutscene, followed by the fantastic ending credits song, I kinda just sit there soaking it all in.

Oh, it's also like, super fun shooting Nazis with dual wielding auto shotguns.

I really want to replay The New Order again, but I don't have a copy anymore and I really shouldn't buy it since I just bought a new tv, but knowing me I'll be playing it tomorrow night.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Goldeneye (n64)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

Over the course of the past couple of weeks I've read three 007 books: Goldfinger, For Your Eyes Only, and Thunderball. Couple this with the recently announced title of Bond 25: No Time To Die, and I was in the mood for a 007 game. I never actually owned Goldeneye but I did borrow it off my step brother in high school. I hunted down a copy and spent the weekend with it.

Besides how sensitive aiming is, I think this game mostly holds up. Levels like Facility, Frigate, and Silo are still some of my favorite levels in a FPS. I love how different difficulties add more objectives to the stage. Everyone goes on with how influential and amazing Goldeneye is, yet I wonder why more games don't copy this. All I can think of is Perfect Dark and maybe TimeSplitters (never spent much time with that series).

Some elements do suck though. Some stages prefer if you stealth by but the stealth sucks. Most levels you get a silenced PPK but one level you have to stealth with an assault rifle. Fire it normally and goons never stop coming, but fire it while in aim mode you fire a single shot and suddenly no one hears it. Okay...Enemies spot you quick but there's really no way of seeing around corners so it's pretty weird. It seems like some sections of the levels summons the goon brigade yet other sections don't.

The frame rate can also suck, and some levels are suuuuper dark (maybe it's my tv). Still, I do love this game despite it's age, there's just nothing quite like it in terms of structure and atmosphere (the music is also baller). As much as I enjoy the Wiimake, I hope the stars can align and they do an HD Remaster like with Perfect Dark. It's been too long since a new 007 game came out and I really wonder why no one snagged the license since Activision moved on. I really want someone to do to 007 what Rocksteady did to Batman or Insomniac did to Spiderman.

So after played 007 I was in the mood for a FPS from this millennium. Wolfenstein Young Blood's recent release got me thinking of the series again, which caused me to picked up Wolf '09 awhile back. I remember "liking" Old Blood but after this playthrough, shit, I adore it. Everything just comes together so well. It's amazing to me how balanced the tone is. It has Nazi Zombies, a guy in a mech suit screaming at you about his dog, and a giant monster hidden underground. Yet the characters and dialogue are written in a way that makes it not overly zany to the point where the tone is all over the place *cough New Colossus cough*. There's a true sense of weight on BJ's shoulders that makes everything feel important. The best way I can sum it up is when I watch the end cutscene, followed by the fantastic ending credits song, I kinda just sit there soaking it all in.

Oh, it's also like, super fun shooting Nazis with dual wielding auto shotguns.

I really want to replay The New Order again, but I don't have a copy anymore and I really shouldn't buy it since I just bought a new tv, but knowing me I'll be playing it tomorrow night.
My goodness now more than ever I also want the objective based FPS. The extra requirements when going up each difficulty was awesome!

Try PD next and see how it holds up also. Man you got me over here wanting this kinda game right now !

My goodness now more than ever I also want the objective based FPS. The extra requirements when going up each difficulty was awesome!

Try PD next and see how it holds up also. Man you got me over here wanting this kinda game right now !
I am tempted to pick up PD as well, but I do plan on one day, one far in the future day. to pick up a Xbox One and Rare Replay. I am hoping though, seeing as how Banjo is in Smash, and Cuphead and Ori is on Switch, that we'll somehow get Banjo and PD on Switch too. We'll see.

I'm also hoping for a TimeSplitters collection.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I am tempted to pick up PD as well, but I do plan on one day, one far in the future day. to pick up a Xbox One and Rare Replay. I am hoping though, seeing as how Banjo is in Smash, and Cuphead and Ori is on Switch, that we'll somehow get Banjo and PD on Switch too. We'll see.

I'm also hoping for a TimeSplitters collection.
I loved all the TS on the Cube.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (NS)

So I'm right behind @Goodtwin as he is lining up a close-range shot on a Nazi general, but he's out of ammo and has to reload. As he's doing so, I aim a shot right over his shoulder with the LaserKraftwerk (a quasi BFG). The general turns into goop right in front of GT, who then has one of those gutteral "I can't believe that just happened" laughs.

This is my favorite gaming moment of the year.

Me and GT would spend the rest of our time in Youngblood playing this meta-game. Who would unexpectedly melt a Nazi at the perfect moment? This. Shit. Never. Got. Old.

You've either read this and nodded with a smile, or not. This game is only for people who laugh at the simple pleasure of melting virtual Nazis with a friend (as a single-player experience, I'm sure this is nothing special; you have to have a buddy).

Oh, there's a good game in here, don't get me wrong. If Youngblood released a decade ago, in the L4D era, it would have been belle of the frickin' ball. It's got some neat ideas, and some obvious Prime influence (vertical levels built around double jumps, weapons that act as door keys, a female BAMF in a power suit, some rudimentary map interconnections), but time has passed this design by.

Sure, the game runs surprisingly well on Switch (apart from some fog issues), and is a technical showcase for idTech. It also requires more teamwork than you might expect - reviving your fallen buddy makes this feel like a real "us against the world" battle (the only drag for me were some bullet sponge enemies). But people want something else out of Wolfenstein now, not a maze-y co-op with RPG leveling.

But me? I want that big catharsis. I want to laugh so hard that it hurts, at something I'm probably not supposed to find so funny, but that the flayed and burnt part of my soul can't resist.

Last edited:
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (NS)

So I'm right behind @Goodtwin as he is lining up a close-range shot on a Nazi general, but he's out of ammo and has to reload. As he's doing so, I aim a shot right over his shoulder with the LaserKraftwerk (a quasi BFG). The general turns into goop right in front of GT, who then has one of those gutteral "I can't believe that just happened" laughs.

This is my favorite gaming moment of the year.

Me and GT would spend the rest of our time in Youngblood playing this meta-game. Who would unexpectedly melt a Nazi at the perfect moment? This. Shit. Never. Got. Old.

You've either read this and nodded with a smile, or not. This game is only for people who laugh at the simple pleasure of melting virtual Nazis with a friend (as a single-player experience, I'm sure this is nothing special; you have to have a buddy).

Oh, there's a good game in here, don't get me wrong. If Youngblood released a decade ago, in the L4D era, it would have been belle of the frickin' ball. It's got some neat ideas, and some obvious Prime influence (vertical levels built around double jumps, weapons that act as door keys, a female BAMF in a power suit, some rudimentary map interconnections), but time has passed this design by.

Sure, the game runs surprisingly well on Switch (apart from some fog issues), and is a technical showcase for idTech. It also requires more teamwork than you might expect - reviving your fallen buddy makes this feel like a real "us against the world" battle (the only drag for me were some bullet sponge enemies). But people want something else out of Wolfenstein now, not a maze-y co-op with RPG leveling.

But me? I want that big catharsis. I want to laugh so hard that it hurts, at something I'm probably not supposed to find so funny, but that the flayed and burnt part of my soul can't resist.
Reading this kinda made me realize I've fallen into the hive mind of the internet. I try to keep an open mind but from the sites and reviews I've seen, most people seem to be down on Young Blood. Admittedly the ideas implemented threw me off too. Level system? Bullet sponge enemies that take no damage if you're not high enough level, forced co-op (single player has an AI partner), and microtransactions. After the Fallout 76 shitshow, Bethesda seemed to be chasing the "live service" stuff other publishers are going for. As a huge fan of New Order and Old Blood, and the strong disappointment I felt with New Colossus (I will play it again some day), it was very easy for me to be turned off by Young Blood from the get go, and the shared opinion of the internet only made it easier.

But your write up made me think that, you know what? Perhaps I should just play the thing myself. At the heart of Wolfenstein is the Nazi killin', and your experience with GT made me smile. Perhaps, maybe, I was just looking too deep into this franchise where you can shoot Nazi's on the moon and crush zombies with a robot mech.

EvilTw1n

Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)

2:38 / 55%

When I first played this game, I thought it might be my favorite Metroid. But every subsequent replay convinces me of how much better Super and Fusion are. I can't quite put my finger on why. It might be because this is such a streamlined game. There is no filler, no fat. But y'know what brings flavor? A little fat. It's that little bit of room for wandering that makes Super the GOAT.

Still, ZM is a great, great game. It's the perfect weekend videogame. You boot it up and beat it in two sittings. And it never disappoints.
Admittedly the ideas implemented threw me off too. Level system? Bullet sponge enemies that take no damage if you're not high enough level, forced co-op (single player has an AI partner), and microtransactions.
Think of it like Triforce Heroes or Federation Force. It's not a mainline game; it's an excuse to hang out with a friend in that game's universe.

(Me and @Goodtwin beat the game in its pre-patch difficulty, and I never felt like microtransactions were in the way.)
At the heart of Wolfenstein is the Nazi killin', and your experience with GT made me smile. Perhaps, maybe, I was just looking too deep into this franchise where you can shoot Nazi's on the moon and crush zombies with a robot mech.
If you like the idea of "shoot Nazis in a RoboCop-sort of setting," it's a good time. But you do have to take it at a sort of relaxed pace.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

So big shocker, I splurged on buying a PS4 copy of TNO. What's not a big shocker is that the game still kicks ass. Besides one sewer level that's kinda "meh", the game is great from top to bottom. The variety of levels are great, in not only their setting but structure. One level takes place in a narrow and cramped U-Boat, so the game introduces bullets for the shotgun that reflects off any surface, making for some awesome run-n-gun segments. Another level involves trying to cross border patrols into Berlin which can be a more stealth focused affair. The pacing is pretty tight all around.

Some story bits are a bit weird. One scene has you in London, and shit is getting dicey in Berlin, you jump in a car, then you magically appear in Berlin which said shit is still happening as if no time has passed, it's really weird. But going to the moon? I'm fine with that. Like Old Blood, it's crazy how well that managed to have very crazy set pieces without feeling like it's jumping the shark. I think it does come down to the characters, in that you can relate enough to them that you can accept the crazy world in which they inhabit.

After playing Old Blood and TNO close together, I'm not sure which one I prefer. Old Blood is tighter I think. The entire game is from B.J.'s point of view like Half Life, and the pacing between stealth and all out action is a bit better, but then TNO has you go to the moon, so it's hard for me to choose.

One day I will replay The New Colossus but I think that'll wait awhile. The next thing I buy is gonna be a Switch so I'm just gonna save my dollars to do that. Link's Awakening and Mario Odyssey I think. Followed by Luigi's Mansion 3. Then Doom Eternal is in November. There are also a few downloadable games I'm interested in too sprinkled throughout the next few months. Phew lad.

@EvilTw1n I think I realized what exactly turned me off of Young Blood (besides Colossus). When TNO came out, it kicked all the ass but another big thing about it was this was when there was an audience of people getting sick of CoD clones. So Wolfenstein came out and had health and armor pickups, and the ability to carry all the weapons and dual wield all the weapons. It had map screens, hidden collectibles that promoted some exploration, etc. It wasn't afraid to do it's own thing/go back to basics. Now with Young Blood, instead of being a middle finger to all the other "me too's", it's following suit with the RPG systems and whatnot.

I know you compared it to Metroid Fed Force of Tri Force Heroes, and I can totally get that, but it's also been 2 years since Colossus and it'll probably be another few years before the third game. So I can still see why people would be turned away a bit. Regardless, you got my curiosity peaked with it so I will give it a go one day.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

Steve2 and I decided to start doing 2 player games together, so over the last two weeks, we took some time most days to play some Super Mario World. I got to be Luigi, of course. The brilliance of this game really holds up. It's a solid game, with great mechanics (damn, I miss the cape), fantastic music, and fun sound effects. We beat every level, found every secret exit, and of course did all the Special levels. Next up on our duo gaming is Secret of Mana.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
My Friend Pedro (NS)

This game is a bit confusing to me because on the one hand, I absolutely sucked at it given I mostly was getting C Grades for various levels (Gave me Viewtiful Joe vibes playing it), the game design in general was quite unique. I wouldn't call it groundbreaking or anything, but it definitely has a unique charm to it, along with the humor throughout the play through that you just enjoy it for what it is.

Let me start off by saying that the controls sometimes feel convoluted because of how complex you can make movements in order to kill baddies. I at various times would forget I could do this, or do that, so there is a learning curve to be had. Truth be told, this game, like many old school SHMUPs, requires some level of memorization, and dedication to truly unlock its potential. This isn't a game you play once, and call it that. With all the difficulty levels, it begs to be played multiple times.

Going back to what I said though, I genuinely would put this game in the genre of a Shoot Em' Up, an almost literal sense at that. At that point, this game starts to make a lot more sense in what it is, and what it requires out of you. If you look at it as a typical 2D Action shooter, I think you'll be slightly disappointed, but if you think of it as a difficult shoot em' up, it makes more sense, and it is also why I loved it. Again, I wasn't very good at it, and it doesn't really hold your hand too often (some basic tutorials are present, but after that, you're on your own). It also is generous in auto-saving checkpoints, so if you do die, you're usually not far from where you last left off.

Going into the levels themselves, I wanted more variety as it seemed there was too many sewer/underground type levels. That being said, there were also some rather peculiar levels that definitely bring out the full humor of this game, and how it doesn't want you to take it seriously all the time (You have a talking Banana. Need I say more?). I did, however, wanted more on-rails type levels where you are on top of a moving vehicle, or falling from great distances. They were short, and sweet, but think could've used more of that.

I have no idea if a sequel will happen, but I think the core game mechanics lend itself to having a sequel, at least from a game design perspective. Whether or not it does happen is another story. If one does happen though, keeping that same type of music throughout the game would be quite welcome as I felt the music fit quite nicely. Some tunes were a bit dull compared to others, but overall, a nice addition to the whole package.

My Friend Pedro is definitely a budget title with budget vibes, but the game in general does not feel budget. It is a full-fledged game that beckons to be played multiple times, and is of a great value. It'll still only take you a few hours to complete the whole game, but in true shoot em' up fashion, play through times are nothing compared to how many hours you sink into it just to become better. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Banana to consume before it consumes me with its corny one-liners.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (PS3)

First of all I just want to put it out there that I'm a weirdo. I recently bought a new tv and what are the first games I beat? Wolfenstein, a game on an engine with a ton of texture issues, and a polished up PSP game. Really getting my money's worth out of it.

With that out of the way, Peace Walker left me feeling a bit mixed. I think the defining thing that left me feeling this way was the boss fights. Metal Gear has always been a solo experience but Peace Walker introduced teaming up with friends to do missions together. It also introduced the Mother Base aspect. Instead of finding what you need in the world, you have to level up Mother Base and to build stuff. So if you want a rocket launcher, you have to put enough people into R&D. You can essentially kidnap any enemy solider in the game to work for you. Put them into Combat, you get money, can play as them in side missions, and send them to other parts of the world in a text based mission list. R&D can make items and weapons, Intel can help plan out the next missions, etc etc. So with that, and the option to play with friends, boss fights can be super drawn out.

If you don't level up your equipment, some bosses can take forever. I imagine this also pushes players into seeking help online, but as someone whose playing in 2019 in a post-MGS 5 world, yeah hold on. The second last boss was the worst for this. So for the last boss I grinded enemy soldiers to get some really powerful guns...and then I S ranked the final boss in 6 minutes. Over compensated for that one. I don't dislike the Mother Base aspect, in fact I quite enjoyed it. It was pretty addicting level up different areas of it, do a mission and return to be greeted with a "your weapon is completed" message. Very much looking forward to this in 5.

The levels can be fun, but I'd say they are less interesting versions of MGS 3. Some side missions can be fun too, like "hold up all the enemy soldiers with a banana", or "shoot down enemy balloons" while 8-bit music plays. It's in good fun for sure. And I'd imagine playing this with friends must have been stellar. There's quite a few side bosses, and even some monsters from Monster Hunter weirdly enough.

The story isn't my favorite either. Kazuhira Miller is a total boss, and the fact he has the voice actor of Travis Touchdown made it all the sweeter. Having Travis tell me what to do and telling me what a great job I did never got old. As someone who is still relatively new to playing these games, it kinda seems like after 4 wrapped up everything, the game's stories just kinda repeat. I say that as someone who hasn't played 5 yet though.

So yeah, it's a good game. It can be frustrating solo'ing some bosses without grinding, but I did like the new gameplay systems. The story didn't feel like a necessary big chapter in the saga until the very end, but at least it didn't have 30 minute cutscenes either. At the end of the day, I look forward to the eventual playthrough of 5.

EvilTw1n

Super Metroid (NS)

4:38 / 64%

Still the GOAT. Still the same small issues*. Still without peer.
(*Sometimes wonky space jump; Maridia isn't bad, but it's not as great as the rest of the game.)

At this point, I'm just noticing small design things. Y'know, the thoughtful touches.

"New area! Oh, you have missiles so you get to open red hatches. Buuuuut you don't have the speed booster, so you can't run past this yet. Ah, but here's a missile expansion for you, anyways, scamp."​
"Oh wait, now you have the speed booster? Cool, 'cause the door right over there will now lead you to the ice beam. And when you aren't even thinking about it, I'mma use that speed booster to trap you into learning how to Shinespark."​

It's just so damn smart. I dig SotN, but some people give that one high marks because they think something like the upside-down castle is clever. Nah, Super makes that look like child's play. Everyone thinks they have free reign to explore Zebes, but...Super ever-so-subtly takes you on detours to retraverse areas when you get new upgrades. It took me until this playthrough to realize that they left that missile expansion in upper-Norfair's lava because they expect you to come back that way after beating Ridley - but this time you have the X-Ray visor and the Varia suit and can get that expansion without burning yourself. Plus, the upgrade pacing is this steady dopamine drip to keep you hooked.

The colors pop a little bit more, and seem a bit richer on SNESflix, compared to the Rasberry PI ROM I last played Super on. The one thing I do miss from the Wii U VC is being able to remap to the triggers - you only get the SNES layout here, and it always takes me some time to settle in with the run button under my thumb.

But it doesn't matter, because it's still freaking Super Metroid, man. The SNES had a lot of "Super (fill in the blanks)" games, but there's a reason that when someone simply says "Super," you automatically assume Metroid 3.
I know you compared it to Metroid Fed Force of Tri Force Heroes, and I can totally get that, but it's also been 2 years since Colossus and it'll probably be another few years before the third game. So I can still see why people would be turned away a bit. Regardless, you got my curiosity peaked with it so I will give it a go one day.
I totally grok why people were turned away. Same reason people were turned away from TFH and MP:FF. And just like those games, taken completely on its own, Youngblood probably isn't anything super-special that you have to plan around. It's all about what you bring to the game yourself. If you have an appreciation for the world, are in the mood to hang out there, and have a good friend to laugh with, you'll get 10 times the enjoyment from W:YB. Subtract any one of those things, and you might as well play something else.

sjmartin79

The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

I was in a Zelda mood last week, so I decided to do another playthrough of this amazing 3DS Zelda title. It was just as much fun, if not more so than I remembered. This far out, I wasn't trying to compare it to Link to the Past. Solid game, amazing music, great story, wonderful characters. 3D Zelda games are fantastic, but I hope Nintendo continues to make top-down Zelda games. There's just something so special about them.

I would be down for some HD remakes of old top-down Zelda games like the Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, and of course Link to the Past. I'm still holding out hope for big remake of Zelda 2.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
The fates aligned and I managed to finish up two games in one day.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
Blasphemous (PC)

Iceborne: Restarted a new save file on PS4 since I didn't want to wait for the PC release (also, I had a couple friends who have it on PS4 who were willing to hunt with me, alleviating the tedium). What a difference Master Rank (G rank) makes in a monster hunter game. Mostly used Hammer this playthrough until I got to Master Rank, then I dabbled with Dual Blades before settling back down in my comfort zone with an Insect Glaive.

Speaking of, I finished the final boss (did it solo) with a blow from my kinsect. The final boss itself was pretty tough, and pretty creepy looking. The new monsters introduced in this expansion were, for the most part, fun to fight. Namielle the Water Elder Dragon was a really interesting fight (her water breath attacks could "paint" the ground around her with water, that she could cause rapids to form on, or slam a giant electric attack through to clear everything before moving on).

Two major mechanics were introduced in this expansion (and were made available even to those in Low Rank) which were the Clutch Claw and the Raider Rider. Clutch claw is basically like a bionic commando claw attached to your slinger that lets you cling to monsters (not mount) and potentially wound them, opening up previously low damage spots into new (albeit temporary) weak zones. Raider Rider is basically a small monster (different for each zone) that you can call when not in combat so you can ride it in pursuit of fleeing monsters.

Haven't delved too much into post game, but from what I can see so far they've done something to make it a lot more interesting than vanilla World's.

All in all, glad I got this, and glad I took a week off to basically no life it and a couple other games. Speaking of.

Blasphemous: Think a mix between Castlevania on DS and Dark Souls. But with a Gothic Fantasy bent.

This game has absolutely gorgeous sprite work and a lovely soundtrack, interesting boss fights and plenty of secrets to uncover.

And just a few too many bullshit deaths.

Not gonna lie. I liked this game a lot. But instant death spikes and bottomless pits in a metroidvania are a cardinal sin of game design for a reason. And that reason is I shouldn't be punished for having to take a blind jump. (also the depth on the platform sprites was neat right until it was hard to gauge some jumps)

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

So brief history of From Software games and I: When my friends were buying PS4s for Bloodborne, I decided to buy my friend's PS3 and find a use copy of Demon's Souls. I ended up loving that game despite it taking awhile for it to click. Doing the game out of order probably didn't help, but I still have fond memories. Around a month later I picked up Dark Souls and loved that for about half the game. Then either the levels turned to shit or I just got burnt out, either way the last few areas were a slog.

Turns out these incredibly hard games that takes dozens of hours to get through shouldn't be marathoned. *Gasp*

Because of that, I slept on the others. It wasn't until last year I finally got around to Bloodborne and I really enjoyed that one. I was going to be smart and not jump into DS2 or 3, so I'm only playing 2 now. The verdict? Good shit despite some Dark Soulsy nonsense.

First off, just to echo ET, whoever says these games are perfect and is always on the player when you die can shut it. How is walking into a room only for a cyclops to crash through a wall and do half your health fair? Climbing up a narrow passageway for treasure only for the game to spawn 4 or 5 grunts to push you off, or have enemies magically turn on their axis mid-attack to still hit you, is all garbage. Admittedly, I didn't find the game to be too difficult. Some bosses wrecked me, but most took 2 or 3 tries, sometimes first try. The last boss was giving me shit until I use a bow and arrow and then it wasn't that much of a problem.

Also, this game felt long. The save file says 34:29:28, but it felt longer. I don't remember feeling that way about the others I played though. I never hated what I was playing, except a couple of bosses, but I was good and ready for this game to be over. I will play DS 3 one day, but hoo boy that won't be this year.

At the end of the day, I really dig From Software and these games despite obvious issues. I would like to see what they can do outside the realm of busting my balls. They're game history is widely varied, so now that they're more popular and whatnot, I would like more non-Souls-esque games. I also would like a 3D Metroidvania that includes more gameplay, like puzzles or upgrades that can open previous locked paths that isn't just a door needing a key. So yeah, Metroid Prime 4 I guess.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Also, this game felt long. The save file says 34:29:28, but it felt longer. I don't remember feeling that way about the others I played though. I never hated what I was playing, except a couple of bosses, but I was good and ready for this game to be over. I will play DS 3 one day, but hoo boy that won't be this year.
Probably doesn't help that you get to Nashandra's castle, then have to make a detour to get something else in order to fight her.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Probably doesn't help that you get to Nashandra's castle, then have to make a detour to get something else in order to fight her.

"Detour" is an interesting word for "there's still half of the game left." Then another 50% longer taking DLC into account.

I think DaS3 is actually about half the length of DaS2. A little too short imo, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be as long as DaS2, either. Though DaS3 + DLC feels pretty perfect to me.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
"Detour" is an interesting word for "there's still half of the game left." Then another 50% longer taking DLC into account.

I think DaS3 is actually about half the length of DaS2. A little too short imo, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be as long as DaS2, either. Though DaS3 + DLC feels pretty perfect to me.
The final part of the game kinda just blends together in my mind, to be honest. When you have your Elite 4 in the first half there's no "Area Boss" to break things up and so it comes across as fairly short to my mind.

I was thinking of that, how once you get the 4 Great Souls the game just continues on without much more happening story wise. Maybe it's the way I played, but it didn't feel like Drangleic Castle onwards was 50% of the game, but yeah it did feel substantial. Perhaps if all those areas mixed in with the rest of the game, and Drangleic Castle was bigger that the game would have flowed better. As it is now, the game is fairly open with multiple pathways, than it's just a straight line through the rest of the game.

Oh well, still a good time to be had.

sjmartin79

Super Metroid (SNES)

I had never beaten Super Metroid before. I knew had about a week before Link's Awakening came out, so I decided to fire up the SNES app on the Switch and play. I'm not sure why I never took the time to beat Super Metroid. I've played parts of it lots of times. So, for over 50% of the game, this was all brand new for me. There was a lot of exploring and backtracking. Probably more than was necessary. I ended up with a time of 12 hours 21 minutes and a 89% clear rate. What a brilliant game! It has held up so well. A beautiful and diverse game as well. I can't say enough good things about it.

sjmartin79

One, I'm jealous that you got to experience most of Super for the first time.

But two, I always forget that, without a guide, a first playthrough is actually pretty damn robust for a run-n-shoot game.
It was pretty amazing to do with mostly fresh eyes on the whole thing. And it being "years" since I had played it before. The game is much larger and has a lot more secrets than I ever would have guessed. One some of the bosses, I died a few times till I figured out the tricks. And I spent a lot of time using the X-ray scanner to look for secrets in every room.

Blazing Chrome (PC)

Not quite sure how to write about this one. On paper I should love this one. Graphics? Beautiful. Music? Baller. Controls? Mostly great. Yet this must be a record in how fast a game decided to ruin my mood for the evening. Now, I do get salty playing some games, but this just made me deflated. Perhaps it has less to do with the game itself and more with everything else that's going on, but boy did I not care by the end.

For those that don't know, this is basically Contra in all but name. It's developed by Joy Masher who made Oniken (not-Ninja Gaiden) and Odallus (not-Castlevania). Making homages is what they do, and I was all ready to dive deep into this. I just think this game is too hard. Admittedly, I haven't played a Contra in awhile, but even though those games are tough, I've enjoyed them. It's a short game (6 levels) but is made for replay-ability: 4 characters, 3 difficulties, mirror mode and boss rush mode. Perhaps if I were to play it again it would be better simply because I've seen it, but I don't have much desire to do so right now.

It does have the classic issue of sometimes there's a small bullet that blends into all the chaos and kills you. Sometimes enemies do pop out and surprise you too. It has unlimited continues on Easy and Normal, so it's just a matter of trying and trying until you either do it or quit. Hardcore mode limits it to 3 lives and 3 continues...no thank you.

I also had some control issues. In a game like this, you need to be on your A game with jumping, moving and shooting. Lots of time I'd accidentally roll instead of jumping then aiming down (roll is down + jump). Sometimes I'd fall of a platform to a lower one and suddenly be facing the wrong direction. Lastly, there's a melee move where if a enemy is close, pressing attack will do a melee move instead of shooting your gun. I really wish this was assigned to another button. Often I'd find if a flying enemy came diagonally downwards to me, I'd go to do a melee move but instead shoot my gun forwards and get hit.

Now I admit, I was using a new toy I bought. I was gonna buy a controller for the Switch but instead bought a 8bitdo wireless adapter that lets you use a variety of controllers on PC and Switch. I was playing this game with a Wii U Pro controller, so maybe there was some interference, but I don't think it would have changed things that much. I did play a couple of games for a few minutes to test it out and it all seemed to work smoothly.

I really did want to like this game, but it does fall in line with Oniken in how it's juuuust on the wrong side of the line that separates "hard" from "bullshit". Maybe I'm in a bad mood or something. I don't want to flat out hate this game. It reminds me of Wolfenstein 2 in that I should be praising the crap out of it, but something just doesn't click as intended. Perhaps I'll try it again some day with a different character, but for now, after this and Dark Souls 2, I need something mindless and easy.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Blazing Chrome (PC)

Not quite sure how to write about this one. On paper I should love this one. Graphics? Beautiful. Music? Baller. Controls? Mostly great. Yet this must be a record in how fast a game decided to ruin my mood for the evening. Now, I do get salty playing some games, but this just made me deflated. Perhaps it has less to do with the game itself and more with everything else that's going on, but boy did I not care by the end.

For those that don't know, this is basically Contra in all but name. It's developed by Joy Masher who made Oniken (not-Ninja Gaiden) and Odallus (not-Castlevania). Making homages is what they do, and I was all ready to dive deep into this. I just think this game is too hard. Admittedly, I haven't played a Contra in awhile, but even though those games are tough, I've enjoyed them. It's a short game (6 levels) but is made for replay-ability: 4 characters, 3 difficulties, mirror mode and boss rush mode. Perhaps if I were to play it again it would be better simply because I've seen it, but I don't have much desire to do so right now.

It does have the classic issue of sometimes there's a small bullet that blends into all the chaos and kills you. Sometimes enemies do pop out and surprise you too. It has unlimited continues on Easy and Normal, so it's just a matter of trying and trying until you either do it or quit. Hardcore mode limits it to 3 lives and 3 continues...no thank you.

I also had some control issues. In a game like this, you need to be on your A game with jumping, moving and shooting. Lots of time I'd accidentally roll instead of jumping then aiming down (roll is down + jump). Sometimes I'd fall of a platform to a lower one and suddenly be facing the wrong direction. Lastly, there's a melee move where if a enemy is close, pressing attack will do a melee move instead of shooting your gun. I really wish this was assigned to another button. Often I'd find if a flying enemy came diagonally downwards to me, I'd go to do a melee move but instead shoot my gun forwards and get hit.

Now I admit, I was using a new toy I bought. I was gonna buy a controller for the Switch but instead bought a 8bitdo wireless adapter that lets you use a variety of controllers on PC and Switch. I was playing this game with a Wii U Pro controller, so maybe there was some interference, but I don't think it would have changed things that much. I did play a couple of games for a few minutes to test it out and it all seemed to work smoothly.

I really did want to like this game, but it does fall in line with Oniken in how it's juuuust on the wrong side of the line that separates "hard" from "bullshit". Maybe I'm in a bad mood or something. I don't want to flat out hate this game. It reminds me of Wolfenstein 2 in that I should be praising the crap out of it, but something just doesn't click as intended. Perhaps I'll try it again some day with a different character, but for now, after this and Dark Souls 2, I need something mindless and easy.
You need a good pallet cleanser game like rocket league or Mario golf so that you always kinda have something mindless and easy in the rotation.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Blazing Chrome (PC)

I didn't know these guys had made another game already. I'm a fan, so I'm definitely getting this.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Luigi's Mansion (GCN)

First time I ever went back to this game since launch. Did it all in one sitting.

I'm going to have the main theme stuck in my head for weeks, lmao.

I liked how interconnected everything was. Made it truly feel like an actual Mansion, even if said mansion was simply something the Boos had made. I had most of the layout pretty much memorized by the time I finished and grabbed all 50 boos.

If I could nitpick, however, I'd say that 1) There should've been more Toads in the mansion for me to save with. Two of them are in the first area, 1 is down on the first floor, and then one is uselessly in the courtyard out back. 2) The hit detection for whether or not I actually grabbed one of the spiky balls for the King Boo fight was wonky and inconsistent as all hell.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I think my biggest issue with Luigi's Mansion is some Boos have 200 health, and they can keep darting out of rooms, sometimes making me loop around just for another chance. Sometimes the health also ticks down weirdly slow.

Still, I love the game so much.
I think there are two that have 300 HP, and yeah, I ran into that problem where I'd start to get one, then it would leave 1 second later, then repeat forever between a hallway and 4 rooms, until I eventually would get lucky and it for some reason wouldn't change rooms at first giggle.

BobSilencieux

Turok 2 - NS

The first Turok is still an absolute classic. 20+ years on it still holds up as a great game. Turok 2, on the other hand, man, what a load of crap. It's so tediously long and uninteresting. You spend literally half the game with basically only a pistol and a shotgun, then in quick succession you're drowned in another 10+ weapons, none of which are ever given a chance to resonate with you because of the rate at which they're all thrown at you. The individual levels are so unbelievably tedious. The mission objectives are so easy to miss. There's so much pointless backtracking or retracing of steps. It's all just such a long bore-you-to-tears frustrating mess. Not even the Cerebral Bore could rekindle my interest in this game that I remember enjoying back in the day.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

For a spin-off, this was a very enjoyable game I thought. Sure, it's more Uncharted, but if you enjoy the franchise like I do, this is a welcome addition, and I absolutely love the banter, and chemistry between Chloe, and Nadine. The actresses who portray them did a fantastic job capturing each character. Even the supporting characters were great.

But that is mostly why I love Uncharted to begin with. It's the storyline, and the characters. Sure, it's not Godfather in terms of story, but for a video game, they've always been quite decent, despite following your typical cookie cutter template. The landscapes, and areas to explore were quite nice this time around to give it a more open world feeling for part of the game, so there felt some bit of non-linear gameplay for about half of the game. Makes me curious how The Last of Us: Part 2 will expand on that.

Can't say enough about the graphics as Naughty Dog do excellent art work in capturing the emotions for each characters, as well as making the landscapes feel vast, and lush.

Another aspect of this why I enjoyed playing through was my Fiancee was very keen on watching me. She loved the main characters, their quips, and banter as much as I did, and was a bit sad when it was over so quickly. Might have to find some more character driven video games with strong female main characters in them since she is not much of a gamer herself. She was starting to get into it with helping me on puzzles, or encouraging me at different times when I did something good, or rolling her eyes when I did something bad. I died more than a few times due to stupid climbing fails.

Given it is October now, and with TLOU fast approaching next year, I might have to revisit the first game, while still keeping with the theme of Spook-tober.

sjmartin79

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (NS)

I loved this game on GameBoy Color, and I loved it even more on the Switch. The extra buttons for items got rid of most of the frustration from the original game. It truly was life changing. I enjoyed the added parts to the Trendy Game (especially the new physics for the game). It was a way to lengthen the game that didn't feel cheap or did change the story. The new sound was breathtaking, especially when the instruments played. And I loved the graphics so much! The only downside I had was the Zelda Maker section. I liked making the dungeons, but I didn't like the parts where they made you do things to their specifications.

Now I would like remakes of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons please, in the same graphic style.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NS)
Untitled Goose Game (NS)

Surprise! I own a Switch now. Bought it last Friday and already got two games done. Zelda was shorter than I remember but it doesn't take away from how great this one is. For the first ever handheld Zelda, the dungeons are surprisingly complex. The graphical style was beautiful and having dedicated buttons for dashing, shield, sword and grabbing made a big difference. Loved it.

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (NS)

I loved this game on GameBoy Color, and I loved it even more on the Switch. The extra buttons for items got rid of most of the frustration from the original game. It truly was life changing. I enjoyed the added parts to the Trendy Game (especially the new physics for the game). It was a way to lengthen the game that didn't feel cheap or did change the story. The new sound was breathtaking, especially when the instruments played. And I loved the graphics so much! The only downside I had was the Zelda Maker section. I liked making the dungeons, but I didn't like the parts where they made you do things to their specifications.

Now I would like remakes of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons please, in the same graphic style.
A bundle of both Oracle games that simplify the password system is my top dream for games right now. I really should go back to them soon.

Untitled Goose Game is pretty short as well but it's essentially perfect. It's easy to look at it and think of it as a quirky game like Goat Simulator or something, but there's a genuinely great and funny puzzle game here. I laughed quite a bit at the human reactions to what I did. I was talking to ET about it, and after talking to him I really want to bring this to a friend's house and watch them play it. Easily recommended even at it's current price.

Finally having a weekend off and playing these two games made for an exceptional birthday weekend.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NS)
Untitled Goose Game (NS)

Surprise! I own a Switch now. Bought it last Friday and already got two games done. Zelda was shorter than I remember but it doesn't take away from how great this one is. For the first ever handheld Zelda, the dungeons are surprisingly complex. The graphical style was beautiful and having dedicated buttons for dashing, shield, sword and grabbing made a big difference. Loved it.

A bundle of both Oracle games that simplify the password system is my top dream for games right now. I really should go back to them soon.

Untitled Goose Game is pretty short as well but it's essentially perfect. It's easy to look at it and think of it as a quirky game like Goat Simulator or something, but there's a genuinely great and funny puzzle game here. I laughed quite a bit at the human reactions to what I did. I was talking to ET about it, and after talking to him I really want to bring this to a friend's house and watch them play it. Easily recommended even at it's current price.

Finally having a weekend off and playing these two games made for an exceptional birthday weekend.
What’s that FC brother???

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

The freakin music in Animal Village is freakin super tight aswell as the music in the misty forest!!!

It very much reminded me of capt toad which I’m a super nasty for, so the graphics was fun for my eyes and gave me them capt toad vibes. But for real and I don’t ever really notice things like this, there really isn’t any reason for there to be slow down or hiccups in this game. And it does slow down and get a hair choppy at times especially in the starting village.

I reckon tho if they was to remake all the GB games or DS games whatever as long as it’s this style I’m buying it all day everyday!!! Freakin Links Awaking was bad to the bone, the story was trippy, the world full of secrets around every corner. And the dungeons didn’t make me want to pull my hair out except for 7.

In the end let me say bring on (I never played any of these) remakes to Minish Cap, The Seasons games, Link Between worlds (I did play that one and it’s killer), Phantom Hourglass and spirit Tracks, heck I’ll take a remake of LTTP in the same graphics style and upgrade.

Tight little game go out and buy it you will not regret it!

sjmartin79

The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

The freakin music in Animal Village is freakin super tight aswell as the music in the misty forest!!!

It very much reminded me of capt toad which I’m a super nasty for, so the graphics was fun for my eyes and gave me them capt toad vibes. But for real and I don’t ever really notice things like this, there really isn’t any reason for there to be slow down or hiccups in this game. And it does slow down and get a hair choppy at times especially in the starting village.

I reckon tho if they was to remake all the GB games or DS games whatever as long as it’s this style I’m buying it all day everyday!!! Freakin Links Awaking was bad to the bone, the story was trippy, the world full of secrets around every corner. And the dungeons didn’t make me want to pull my hair out except for 7.

In the end let me say bring on (I never played any of these) remakes to Minish Cap, The Seasons games, Link Between worlds (I did play that one and it’s killer), Phantom Hourglass and spirit Tracks, heck I’ll take a remake of LTTP in the same graphics style and upgrade.

Tight little game go out and buy it you will not regret it!
Yes, a million times yes to all those remakes! I'm totally down for it and will day one buy them all.