World of Light - 2019 Games Completed Thread

Iconoclasts (PS4)

Jeez, I don't even know where to start with this one. One the surface and for the first few hours it's a beautiful Metroivania (more so Fusion than Super with separate levels) with upbeat music and fun gameplay. By the end, I legit feel drained emotionally.

As the game goes on the dialogue and cutscenes do go on longer, and some levels become smaller. It's a gradual shift in tone and style but the first few hours are definitely different than the end hours.

There is a lot of moments in this game that will stick with me for a long time. The thing is though, I don't fully understand this game. The story admittedly starts off throwing a bit too much at you in terms of lore and such, so it took awhile for me to have the basic grasp of it all, but by the time I did more shit is happening. A lot of characters talk about topics of religion and philosophy, and maybe I'm just a stinky brain dumb dumb but a bit of it flew over my head. Side characters come and go, villains die sooner than expected, the main issue at hand feels bigger than you yet at the same time (without spoiler) you solve it in the end by simply dealing with it.

One particular character throughout the game I was waiting to see what their beef was. Towards the end it's explained a bit but I still didn't understand her motivations, yet when you fought them, and then what happens after, I couldn't help but being really fucking sad despite them being a huge dick throughout the whole game.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't form a coherent write up about it. I guess some people would say the story is pretentious or poorly written, and I wouldn't necessarily argue with them, but even just having a basic grasp of the story at large and not fully understanding quite a few character motivations and such, I can't help but feel attached to it all. The music really helps too, it almost tells the story as much as the dialogue at points.

Other than that, my main gripe with the actual game is the hidden stuff. You know how Metroidvanias work, hidden power ups and health pick ups. Not this one, all you get is one of four materials which you use to make buffs like one free hit, power up melee, faster movement, etc. The problem is, none of it really feels important besides longer breath underwater, which stops being a thing early on. Towards the end of the game I completely stopped caring. The game has it's fair share of puzzles which I loved, so I only found the materials if there was a puzzle, I stopped backtracking to earlier areas because I didn't need any of it.

So at the end of the day, I love this game. As a game, it does have some structure issues but it controls very well, is one of the most beautiful pixel-based games I've seen and the music, holy fuck the music. The story: as muddled as it can be, I simply can't hate it. Despite being in the dark about a handful of things, it made me feel so it's doing something right.

It reminds me of playing the ps1-era Final Fantasy's as a kid. I didn't fully understand the themes and what exactly was happening at times, but I still think about them to this day. I have a feeling Iconoclasts won't be leaving my mind for a long ass time.

I need a "dumb fun" game now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Iconoclasts (PS4)

Jeez, I don't even know where to start with this one. One the surface and for the first few hours it's a beautiful Metroivania (more so Fusion than Super with separate levels) with upbeat music and fun gameplay. By the end, I legit feel drained emotionally.

As the game goes on the dialogue and cutscenes do go on longer, and some levels become smaller. It's a gradual shift in tone and style but the first few hours are definitely different than the end hours.

There is a lot of moments in this game that will stick with me for a long time. The thing is though, I don't fully understand this game. The story admittedly starts off throwing a bit too much at you in terms of lore and such, so it took awhile for me to have the basic grasp of it all, but by the time I did more shit is happening. A lot of characters talk about topics of religion and philosophy, and maybe I'm just a stinky brain dumb dumb but a bit of it flew over my head. Side characters come and go, villains die sooner than expected, the main issue at hand feels bigger than you yet at the same time (without spoiler) you solve it in the end by simply dealing with it.

One particular character throughout the game I was waiting to see what their beef was. Towards the end it's explained a bit but I still didn't understand her motivations, yet when you fought them, and then what happens after, I couldn't help but being really fucking sad despite them being a huge dick throughout the whole game.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't form a coherent write up about it. I guess some people would say the story is pretentious or poorly written, and I wouldn't necessarily argue with them, but even just having a basic grasp of the story at large and not fully understanding quite a few character motivations and such, I can't help but feel attached to it all. The music really helps too, it almost tells the story as much as the dialogue at points.

Other than that, my main gripe with the actual game is the hidden stuff. You know how Metroidvanias work, hidden power ups and health pick ups. Not this one, all you get is one of four materials which you use to make buffs like one free hit, power up melee, faster movement, etc. The problem is, none of it really feels important besides longer breath underwater, which stops being a thing early on. Towards the end of the game I completely stopped caring. The game has it's fair share of puzzles which I loved, so I only found the materials if there was a puzzle, I stopped backtracking to earlier areas because I didn't need any of it.

So at the end of the day, I love this game. As a game, it does have some structure issues but it controls very well, is one of the most beautiful pixel-based games I've seen and the music, holy fuck the music. The story: as muddled as it can be, I simply can't hate it. Despite being in the dark about a handful of things, it made me feel so it's doing something right.

It reminds me of playing the ps1-era Final Fantasy's as a kid. I didn't fully understand the themes and what exactly was happening at times, but I still think about them to this day. I have a feeling Iconoclasts won't be leaving my mind for a long ass time.

I need a "dumb fun" game now.
Alright, I get notifications for this game on sale pretty often and always ignore it but I guess I'll buy it next time.

Wolfenstein 2009 (PS3)

So I said I wanted some dumb fun, and my word is this game dumb. It isn't Metal Wolf Chaos or Resident Evil 6 dumb, but Nazis using the power of a parallel dimension to fuel super weapons to attack a city in Germany is pretty fucking out there.

At the time of release this game garnered some "meh" reviews and I can honestly see why, but in this age of looter shooters and seasonal updates and Activision being garbage, it's refreshing. You can carry all the games weapons at once and while you don't run 60 mph like Doom Guy, you do get to use some fun yet generic powers like shield, extra damage or slow down time. I didn't use these too much until the end levels where the difficulty jumped up, but the basic power of just going to the alternate dimension speeds your movement up so I used that quite often.

New Order might be my favorite Wolfenstein game but I really do like this and Return to Castle Wolfenstein's absurdity. It's a video game and has a silly concept so they just run with it. New Order is fantastic minus a couple of segments, but I think the writing is what elevates it, which is sadly mishandled in New Colossus (along with other issues).

Hard to imagine being nostalgic for generic mid Gen 7 shooters but that's what years of garbage AAA publishing does to ya.