Would you get hyped for a Star Fox: Assault 2?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I suddenly got in the mood to listen to Star Fox: Assault's soundtrack, and I'm finding out that it's way better than I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGCZaZEcR4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avG-ibaS-9k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6543T0HI50
Also, recently Emily Rogers wrote an article about why it's difficult for Nintendo to make a new Star Fox game, and it got me thinking about Star Fox: Assault. Back when I played it, I was one of the few people that weren't so disappointed by it, though I could recognize that it was far from the instant classic status that Star Fox 64 was. But the more I think about it, the more I feel like it was actually pretty close to greatness, and that the flaws it had back in the day would not be so prevalent these days. Case in point, the controls. Many people complained about the controls of Star Fox: Assault back in the day (though option C was alright), citing it as one of the reasons the on-foot sections were not enjoyable. But if that game were to come out for the Wii U today, it could easily take advantage of either the Gamepad or the Wiimote to improve its controls greatly. The Wiimote, in fact, would be beautiful for both vehicle and on-foot sections, greatly improving the game overall.
In addition, there are great developers that could lend Nintendo a hand in making the game, such as Treasure (Sin and Punishment) and Platinum Games (Wonderful 101, Vanquish). These guys could probably even handle the game on their own.
Beyond that, I think a new Star Fox: Assault could be a perfect candidate for Nintendo to push the console graphically, but more importantly, in the online department. If Star Fox: Assault 2 were to have online modes, particularly competitive, great times would be had. I spent hours upon hours playing the barebones multiplayer mode that Star Fox 64 had back in the day, and would give a nut for a refined and more complete version of that.
What do you guys think? Am I alone in wanting more of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJfuNcW5s8
As long as the game could have better controls, better enemy AI, and more and larger maps like the one in the video above, I think it could be amazing.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I had posted this on the private staff forums, like a complete idiot. It's here in its rightful place now.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It could be like a Nintendo themed Titanfall.... Nintendo needs a huge multiplayer shooter type game for Wii U.... MK8 and Smash are comming.... Having a game like this would fill a huge void on the Wii U....
Monster hunting is great and all, and I'm sure Ghost is as fun online as BO2, but I think Nintendo needs a game like this on Wii U desperately....
I would definitely be interested in buying an Assault 2 or any other Starfox game that has a focus on multiplayer.... I want single player Star Fox too, but this could be amazing if handled correctly and given to the right studio....

Never played Assault. Only SF game I played was SNES and 64, which I still love.
Right now, I would just like more Arwing. I'm not aginst on foot segments, cause 64 had tanks and submarines, so more variety the better, as long as it's well crafted and balanced (i.e. on foot doesn't take 40 minutes while Arwing takes 5 per level.
Online third person shooting? Great. Maybe even a "battlefield thing" where players can jump into tanks and arwings. While I'm at it, I'll wish for world peace as well...

Never played Assault. Only SF game I played was SNES and 64, which I still love.
Right now, I would just like more Arwing. I'm not aginst on foot segments, cause 64 had tanks and submarines, so more variety the better, as long as it's well crafted and balanced (i.e. on foot doesn't take 40 minutes while Arwing takes 5 per level.
Online third person shooting? Great. Maybe even a "battlefield thing" where players can jump into tanks and arwings. While I'm at it, I'll wish for world peace as well...
Fun Fact: SF64 actually had on-foot bits..........in multiplayer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQtIuNQbQXE
Anyways, Assault has some vital ingredients in order to serve up some spectacular Star Fox. We need a new game which as a campaign and online segments. The campaign will be like a combination of SF64 and Assault, with a side dose of steroids. Take SF64's structure, add more levels, Assault's epic-ness, etc. I think about 70% of the game play should be on rails arwing action. On-foot could be REAL good if worked on. Assault's on-foot was good, but not great. If they worked on this the campaign could be really varied and awesome.
Online will be like assault really with it's modes and maps, some maps being arwing only, on-foot only, all vehicles, etc. Have team battles, free-for-alls, CTF, etc, adding these would make for a game amazing enough to make me fan-gasm. And hell have some co-op missions to tackle, go through the campaign and have Halo 4-esque Sparton Ops or something. Voice chat is a must too.
Oh and imagine the HD graphics, my word it could be something to behold.
Star Fox has the potential to be gad damn astonishing, but I don't think Nintendo realizes it. Doing all this with advertising would probably sell quite well!

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Fun Fact: SF64 actually had on-foot bits..........in multiplayer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQtIuNQbQXE
Anyways, Assault has some vital ingredients in order to serve up some spectacular Star Fox. We need a new game which as a campaign and online segments. The campaign will be like a combination of SF64 and Assault, with a side dose of steroids. Take SF64's structure, add more levels, Assault's epic-ness, etc. I think about 70% of the game play should be on rails arwing action. On-foot could be REAL good if worked on. Assault's on-foot was good, but not great. If they worked on this the campaign could be really varied and awesome.
Online will be like assault really with it's modes and maps, some maps being arwing only, on-foot only, all vehicles, etc. Have team battles, free-for-alls, CTF, etc, adding these would make for a game amazing enough to make me fan-gasm. And hell have some co-op missions to tackle, go through the campaign and have Halo 4-esque Sparton Ops or something. Voice chat is a must too.
Oh and imagine the HD graphics, my word it could be something to behold.
Star Fox has the potential to be gad damn astonishing, but I don't think Nintendo realizes it. Doing all this with advertising would probably sell quite well!
Does talking animals sell though?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Before the convo goes there, I want to clarify that I'm not arguing that this would be a good way for Nintendo to sell games, Wii U systems, or Nintendo-themed socks.
I'm just saying that a sequel to Star Fox: Assault could be awesome, and asking whether people would be hyped for it, granted that it looked like it could turn out great.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Before the convo goes there, I want to clarify that I'm not arguing that this would be a good way for Nintendo to sell games, Wii U systems, or Nintendo-themed socks.
I'm just saying that a sequel to Star Fox: Assault could be awesome, and asking whether people would be hyped for it, granted that it looked like it could turn out great.
Show me some more Conker's Bad Fur Day and I'll get hyped

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think the modern shmup needs to be rebooted.
It reminds me of adventures games. For awhile, the adventure game was said to be a dead genre. Then games like the Walking Dead come around showing good scores and sales.
Just like designers did for the adventure genre, they need to look at the SHMUP and figure out the core elements people loved about these games.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I would think maximizing the re playability would be an interesting approach rather than on-foot adventure. One possible key could be a transforming Arwing. Have the player be able to swap between Flight and Tank/Submarine modes at will, so each level would be fleshed out to be engaging from either vantage point at practically any time (with some strong incentives to favour one over the other at moments perhaps). Add to that a wide variety of branching paths within levels, and the standard SF sub-goals to unlock different tracks towards the end fight, and you have a game with a high and obvious level of incentive to replay. Also a concept distinct enough from Sin & Punishment (allowing that delicious collaboration with Treasure to continue).

There is also no reason multi-player couldn't become central to the campaign itself. Or, if that interferes with level design somehow (certain predicaments of your team-mates are staged in Star Fox in a way that forms part of the level design) perhaps you could all link up at the end boss fight having taken differing paths, or perhaps a whole new secondary campaign that emphasizes a cooperative squadron mode. Nintendo loves it some cooperative multi-player. Local and/or online could work.

Interesting Emily Rogers article though. I loved Silpheed on PC growing up, the similarities at points were never lost on me. Speaking of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3N8qXLBmR4

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Having never played SFA, It's difficult to say exactly if that is something I'd want from Nintendo, or some collaborative developer. Truth be told, I grew up playing Star Fox as an on-rail shooters originally on the SNES, and of course SF64 on the N64. That being said, I was always open to Nintendo expanding the franchises into new heights, but then the issue becomes does it stay true to what the series is all about. If I recall correctly, Fox, Slippy, Falco, and Peppy are mercenaries contracted by General Pepper to carry out specific missions (Basically the same concept as Samus with the Federation) So it's not out of the realm of possibility for the team to get into situations outside of their confort zone, specifically in Arwing missions and do ground-based missions.
The question becomes though do the characters alone make the game Star Fox, or is there more for the franchise than simply the names? Is the on-rails mechanic that crucial to the core design of the franchise, or can it be expanded and still be good when used as an action-adventure, whether it be Star Fox Assault, or Star Fox Adventures. I've never played either of those games, but I would be interested in at least trying them out at some point.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I never played assault, but I do want another starfox 64. Adventures was hot garbage, and if that game is why Nintendo isn't continuing the franchise then that's a true shame.

I didn't care much Assault's campaign mode, it wasn't bad but it wasn't really great either, but the multiplayer was fantastic. It seems to be the inverse of SF64, which had a great single player mode, but just an okay multiplayer mode.

If they did make a new Starfox game, I would really want them to have a single player mode more like the original Starfox and SF64, with the branching paths and secret exits, with a much heavier focus on vehicular combat, as opposed to the out of vehicle combat, but with an online multiplayer almost exactly like what was in Assault. That would be a dream SF game for me.

Odo

I haven't played SF Assault, so I don't know.
In fact, I'm not into Star Fox.
I think Star Fox and F-Zero are dead forever, but I can see that Star Fox could work today with Wii U.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Haven't played Assault, but sure, why not? As you said, the Wiimote could greatly enhance the TPS portions of the game. Construct the game with more open level design (not the claustrophobic feel of that final vid) and you'd sort out most of the camera problems.

ZyroXZ2

When I look at a game like Sin and Punishment on the Wii, I can imagine Nintendo making StarFox the most amazing on-rails shooter ever...
So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd rather a game like Sin and Punishment in the StarFox universe :p

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
When I look at a game like Sin and Punishment on the Wii, I can imagine Nintendo making StarFox the most amazing on-rails shooter ever...
So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd rather a game like Sin and Punishment in the StarFox universe :p

Keepin' the dream alive

GaemzDood

Star Fox: Assault had some good ideas. The best one had to be in the form of the levels. They were big, somewhat open, and allowed for objectives to be completed whenever you wanted. It reminds me of EDF, even though EDF crushes Star Fox: Assault...with the exception of Insect Armageddon.

It could be like a Nintendo themed Titanfall.... Nintendo needs a huge multiplayer shooter type game for Wii U.... MK8 and Smash are comming.... Having a game like this would fill a huge void on the Wii U....
Monster hunting is great and all, and I'm sure Ghost is as fun online as BO2, but I think Nintendo needs a game like this on Wii U desperately....
I would definitely be interested in buying an Assault 2 or any other Starfox game that has a focus on multiplayer.... I want single player Star Fox too, but this could be amazing if handled correctly and given to the right studio....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Online multiplayer should definitely be a focus if there is ever another Starfox game to some degree.... Whether that's coop campain or some type of competitive multiplayer, it should definitely be a focus....
Now I'm not saying you couldn't package this multiplayer part of the game with a full fledged Starfox sequel.... In fact that sounds more likely than anything else.... I'm sure this much dreamed about StarFox U will have some kind of multiplayer component, but chances are whatever we get, that single player will be the biggest part of the game....
That's pretty much a given.... But man they could do something special with online multiplayer on Wii U with a new StarFox.... It would fill a huge void in the Nintendo library, especially in the online multiplayer department.... It would also send a message that hey, look, Nintendo got dat online multiplayer shooter shit too dog....
I think about an FPS StarFox where like in SF64 there would be that first person cockpit view and then you could hop in and out of your Arwing and have little FPS fights and then your Arwing could also transform into the tank mode and maybe and underwater sub mode to have battle with other players....
Or make it First and Third Person, but focus on the First Person as the primary view as far as gameplay is concerned....
I mean you could have lazer sword like lightsabers for melee attacks.... What if the Arwing went all Starhawk and transformed into a mech or something...? The possibilities are endless for how awesome you could potentially make a multiplayer mode in an HD StarFox on Wii U....
And it would be a great chance for Nintendo to stretch its legs into that online shooter market that they haven't had a piece of ever....

Definitely. Believe it or not, Assault was my favorite Star Fox. Sure the on-foot missions need some work but they were already good imo.The multiplayer on Assault is where the game really shines. Making it online would be even better.Just wish this hypothetical sequel would be longer. 10 missions is too short.

hogge

Keepin' the dream alive
IThat's a good suggestion, BUT Nintendo have to fight the perceived software drought. It's a droudht we'll probably see for the duration of the consoles life span. If we won't see Nintendo turn things around soon, the Wii U will receive just about nill third party support. Indies will bring some cool stuff, but in all honesty, it won't make up for third party support.What Nintendo and their second parties need to do is to create the variety needed. And to do that, Nintendo need to STOP saturating the console with games in certain genres and ignore others, which is what they've been doing up to this point.

Anyhow, what I'd like from a new Starfox is a good flying game, where Nintendo mix on-rails levels with Rogue-Squadron esque large, free-flying levels. It should be a high-octane all-action fest.
OR Nintendo could make a Starfox that's like Star Wars Battlefront, with a wide variety of vehicles, as well as third person running sequences. Although knowing Nintendo, if they make a Starfox that's different, it'll be Fox McCloud's Epic Yarn.

the_randomizer

If it was just comprised of flying missions (on-rails shooting, etc), then I'd be fine with it. For some reason, the game bothered me with the inconsistent framerates. 60 FPS while flying around, but 30 FPS when on-foot, I liked the 60 FPS more.

solitanze

RoboPosterâ„¢
A new Star Fox game on a Nintendo home console that expands on the original Star Fox Assault, improves the ground missions further, takes some inspiration from Rogue Squadron for some more open flight missions, features online multiplayer for competitive dogfights as well as possibly even online leaderboards for score rankings, I would be totally down for.

The name Star Fox Assault 2 wouldn't get me hyped like simply naming dropping some other potential titles would. If they showed it and it looked great then I could get hyped though.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
It has some of the best music from a Starfox game. I won't mind another one, but prefer Fox and his team in a vehicle than going all third person shooter on me. Been recently listening to the Remember Me soundtrack. I'm sad that this game isn't getting a second chance. It's almost in the same position as the Starfox series.

The soundtrack of star fox in general is just amazing.

I liked the flying missions, the on foot where tolerable, but I wouldn't play that again. I would kill for a proper relaunch of the series with no gimmicks anymore.

Sent from Xperia ZL

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point I think a lot of people's image of StarFox comes from Smash Bros, so the only way you could go that could get those people hyped is to make a Starfox Assault-like game and have a studio like Platinum handle it, and I think that'd be great.
And only Platinum.