Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Koenig

The Architect
A more interesting story and character development... and character designs that actually look good. Third-person gameplay that doesn't suck.
My thoughts on that are "Yes", "Yes", "No", "Yes". Granted despite both being RPG's, the two games are practically in a different genre from each other. Skyrim is all about player freedom, while Xenoblade is much more about telling a story of its own cast of characters.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
My thoughts on that are "Yes", "Yes", "No", "Yes". Granted despite both being RPG's, the two games are practically in a different genre from each other. Skyrim is all about player freedom, while Xenoblade is much more about telling a story of its own cast of characters.
I have issues with the clothing design for like the mc in xbc2... but c'mon comparitvely

this:

has emotion, soul, life

while this:

looks soulless, inexpressive, and dead

this isn't even an argument over realistic versus anime

because there are still western, realistic games in which the characters still have life in them... especially when performance capture is used

but man... Bethesda is the king of dead eyed soulless characters

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
  1. feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.
Sky·rim syn·drome
noun
  1. feelings of trust or affection felt toward certain games of mindless adventuring or skinner-box design by a gamer toward a developer.

Koenig

The Architect
I have issues with the clothing design for like the mc in xbc2... but c'mon comparitvely

this:

has emotion, soul, life

while this:

looks soulless, inexpressive, and dead

this isn't even an argument over realistic versus anime

because there are still western, realistic games in which the characters still have life in them... especially when performance capture is used

but man... Bethesda is the king of dead eyed soulless characters
Good points, but I do feel it should be pointed out that the comparisons being made aren't entirely fair ones. Comparing a screenshot from a pre-rendered cutscene to a standard dialogue is always going to look poor, especially when you consider the hardware they were built for are multiple times stronger than those when Skyrim was made.

For a more accurate graphical comparison, I would say to compare a standard dialogue cut from Xenoblade X; no cutcenes, no . (Granted, neither side would come up looking good in that case)

Art style on the other hand is another aspect to compare, although I would argue that it is also a bit pointless to compare the two in this regard as well; Skyrim and Xenoblade 2 both use very different art styles to fit their very different setting. The gritty and muddy style of Skyrim along side its surplus of celtic and "barbarian" imagery fits the narrative of the game well; while the "anime-ness" of Xenoblade 2 will undoubtedly benefit the game given its high fantasy world and narrative. (Although I still think the original did a far better job with its art style; I simply not a fan of the excessive "anime" look we have seen of Xenoblade 2)

theMightyME

Even in that bad shot of XCX, look at her eyes, not lifeless and soulless

As for which game adhesives is style better, that is easy, xc2 did... By a mile... It isn't about taste in styles, as I said look at any Witcher game, then compare that to skyrim

GaemzDood

A more interesting story and character development... and character designs that actually look good. Third-person gameplay that doesn't suck.
My main thing in open world RPGs is character interactivity, i.e. what can you do with the environment. Ultima VII and the OG Gothic trilogy still haven't been surpassed in this regard in terms of RPGs, though in terms of adventure games, Breath of the Wild definitely takes the cake.

Skyrim also has dynamic character schedules, which makes a huge difference in immersion since, while the quests are uninspired, the characters aren't just quest givers that stand there. The dynamic schedules affect a lot of aspects. Also, can you pick up cheese and put it on people's heads, or get blackout drunk? I like open worlds when I feel like I can do something in them that I would do in real life, besides just following a story.

As for ARPG combat interactions and gameplay, play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. That game tops both.

theMightyME

My main thing in open world RPGs is character interactivity, i.e. what can you do with the environment. Ultima VII and the OG Gothic trilogy still haven't been surpassed in this regard in terms of RPGs, though in terms of adventure games, Breath of the Wild definitely takes the cake.

Skyrim also has dynamic character schedules, which makes a huge difference in immersion since, while the quests are uninspired, the characters aren't just quest givers that stand there. The dynamic schedules affect a lot of aspects. Also, can you pick up cheese and put it on people's heads, or get blackout drunk? I like open worlds when I feel like I can do something in them that I would do in real life, besides just following a story.

As for ARPG combat interactions and gameplay, play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. That game tops both.
well first off, xbc2 is not open world, it is a massive scope narrative driven rpg

xbc2 is not going for the things you want, it is a different experience

can you put cheese on somebodies head? no... but instead it has a great story with characters that don't look like dullards, letting you put cheese on their heads

there are a few draws to xbc2 that are not even attempted by skyrim or other open world rpgs

1. a complex and over the top story with crazy plot twists
2. a truly alien environment that is unlike anything you have seen before... you aren't traversing lands, you are traversing gigantic inhabitable creatures, that civilizations LIVE ON, which are slowly walking/swimming/flying around a giant sea
3. you have an interesting and fun battle system with a full party of characters at your command

theMightyME

watching this trailer

knowing that a script writer said that this game's story is like distilled takahashi

Having played xenoblade, and xenogears, etc..

seeing some reviewers saying the story is better than the first xbc

knowing how takashi likes to explore ideas of exententialism

with the trailer talking about things like fading back into a core and losing memories

just all of that shuffling in my mind at once, with the game coming out in 3 days

and that isn't even getting to the battle systems and world design

and oh yeah...

that music

just.. just...

Odo

I've been watching XC2 footage and damm, it's good, really good. I can't wait to play.

However, my excitement for it doesn't compare with XCX excitement back then.

XCX was a king of presentation. I'll never forget my time driving those giant customisable mechs.

Although all its issues, my first weeks playing XCX were among the best gaming experiences of my life. I collected almost all colectibles, including the most rare ones.

XC2 is a new Xenoblade for my wishlist, but XCX was a instant must have with weeks of unbearable hype. I hope the fourth instalment in the future gives me that again.

theMightyME

I wonder if the "Grand Architect" will end up being the final boss? That seems to be a running theme in his work.
I have a few ideas from that trailer but I don't want to think too heavily about them until I finish the story myself

But I imagine that is likely

theMightyME

I've been watching XC2 footage and damm, it's good, really good. I can't wait to play.

However, my excitement for it doesn't compare with XCX excitement back then.

XCX was a king of presentation. I'll never forget my time driving those giant customisable mechs.

Although all its issues, my first weeks playing XCX were among the best gaming experiences of my life. I collected almost all colectibles, including the most rare ones.

XC2 is a new Xenoblade for my wishlist, but XCX was a instant must have with weeks of unbearable hype. I hope the fourth instalment in the future gives me that again.
have you played the original? I think most fans of the original were let down by X, myself included

It is the story, X had some cool side quests with xenophobia themes and such, but the original had a great character story with some killer twists and an absolutely bonkers (in the best of ways) ending

comparatively, X just felt like a point a to point b story

also, while X had the big open world, the world in the original was massive as well, but also far more interesting

I can only think of 1 area in X that was on par with the crazy alien world of the original, that being Sylvalum

and the music was a MASSIVE step down, the original xenoblade chronicles has a top 10 soundtrack of all time for video games... up there with ff6, chrono trigger, etc..

Mechs were like the one amazing thing in X IMO

but I imagine some kind of mech stuff will be going on in this game... all of the xeno games have some form of mechs, just not always usable...

I want a xeno game with mechs AND a good story... like the original xenogears

Odo

have you played the original? I think most fans of the original were let down by X, myself included

It is the story, X had some cool side quests with xenophobia themes and such, but the original had a great character story with some killer twists and an absolutely bonkers (in the best of ways) ending

comparatively, X just felt like a point a to point b story

also, while X had the big open world, the world in the original was massive as well, but also far more interesting

I can only think of 1 area in X that was on par with the crazy alien world of the original, that being Sylvalum

and the music was a MASSIVE step down, the original xenoblade chronicles has a top 10 soundtrack of all time for video games... up there with ff6, chrono trigger, etc..

Mechs were like the one amazing thing in X IMO

but I imagine some kind of mech stuff will be going on in this game... all of the xeno games have some form of mechs, just not always usable...

I want a xeno game with mechs AND a good story... like the original xenogears
Yeah, I did, I have more than 100 hours tracked for XC and more than 150 for XCX.

XC is far better, one of the best RPGs of my life, but XCX is also incredible. I didn't like the story (like everybody else I reckon) but I loved that multi-quest hell. and the mechs obviously, they're just amazing..

Even though XC is superior, I had a lot of fun with XCX, maybe a bit more than in XC.

I felt back then when XCX came out a real step further, u know? Because of the massive size of the world and the mechs. Today, even though XC2 looks and sounds truly extraordinary, I just don't feel the same excitement. I'm more into the game just because of the franchise than because of the instalment this time.

I just hope to see some jaw-dropping story link between XC2 and XC and that would be the thing that could make me sold.

theMightyME

Yeah, I did, I have more than 100 hours tracked for XC and more than 150 for XCX.

XC is far better, one of the best RPGs of my life, but XCX is also incredible. I didn't like the story (like everybody else I reckon) but I loved that multi-quest hell. and the mechs obviously, they're just amazing..

Even though XC is superior, I had a lot of fun with XCX, maybe a bit more than in XC.

I felt back then when XCX came out a real step further, u know? Because of the massive size of the world and the mechs. Today, even though XC2 looks and sounds truly extraordinary, I just don't feel the same excitement. I'm more into the game just because of the franchise than because of the instalment this time.

I just hope to see some jaw-dropping story link between XC2 and XC and that would be the thing that could make me sold.
Did you watch the newest trailer? That sold it some more for me, I don't need a link to the original, just a great story, with great characters, and great music

It appears to be delivering on all of those fronts

Also, unlike XCX I can play it in japanese

Koenig

The Architect
I would argue that X had the better world, However it just did not do anything with it. So much potential for lore and stories, and yet less than 2% of it was ever used for anything other than pretty scenery. Xenoblade (1) by comparison definitely had the better story and side quests, no question.

Odo

Did you watch the newest trailer? That sold it some more for me, I don't need a link to the original, just a great story, with great characters, and great music

It appears to be delivering on all of those fronts

Also, unlike XCX I can play it in japanese
Looks great. I can see a lot of improvement from the first footage back on the announcement

Odo

I would argue that X had the better world, However it just did not do anything with it. So much potential for lore and stories, and yet less than 2% of it was ever used for anything other than pretty scenery. Xenoblade (1) by comparison definitely had the better story and side quests, no question.
XCX is a playground. The ultimate JRPG playground (plus mechs, gorgeous big mechs, that you can customise).

Call me a nutter but I'd love a XCX2.

GaemzDood

I retract what I said earlier since this game and Skyrim are kind of polar opposites.

Side note: I want a completely uncensored Xenosaga trilogy remaster for the Switch. It doesn't have to be a fancy remake, they can just update the textures and post processing in addition to using all of the uncensored content. However, Xenosaga 2 could definitely use actual tweaking to the combat to make it more like 3.

Like real talk, the censorship in Xenosaga 3 is egregious. Look at this shit.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
XCX is a playground. The ultimate JRPG playground (plus mechs, gorgeous big mechs, that you can customise).

Call me a nutter but I'd love a XCX2.
I want to think of XB2 as filler while XCX2 will be the real incredible JRPG of BOTW proportions. But right now even XB2 is looking great, and I can't contain the hype anymore.

Especially when Nintendo posts a music video that is both unexpected but perfectly fitting for what I want out of Xenoblade games: the feeling of a vast world, and beautiful music.

theMightyME

it is the bigger world, not the better... the first game had a more interesting world, the verticality of it, the varried and alien landscapes, etc.. the on in X is just a more advanced (because of better hardware) and larger world with 1 area that is interesting in the way much of xbc's was

the entire world of xbc told a story... it was on the body of 2 gods, and you travered them, and traversed OVER them to the other one, and back, and even to the resting place of a severed limb the whole place told a story as you progressed, and the vistas showed soemthign different then you had ever seen before.. a massive sword blade over your head on a giant plains field... a view of the mechanical side of the world MOVING when it is woken up far in the distance

There was also more in the way of hidden mysterious temples with a lore to them guarded by giant spiders or titans who emerged on your trespass

hell, you could even do more in the world... like slide on the ace and launch yourself to find hidden areas

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I honestly did feel that Sylvalum, Noctilum, and Oblivia were amazing to explore. There's definitely as much verticality to Noctilum as there was to any area of the first Xenoblade. Primordia is more interesting than the Bionis' knee, save for the fact that it doesn't have the Mechonis looming above it. Cauldros is incredible if you traverse it by foot, but it does get monotonous after a while.

The biggest problem for me was that the desaturated colors brought all of the game's art down with them, and that there was much less variety in areas in general. In XB1, the difference between Satorl Marsh, Makna forest, and the Eryth Sea is like night and day. In XCX, areas blend in with each other a bit more.

And also you're just not walking on the top of living gods, which is a big deal.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I forgot to mention this here, but Amazon sent me an email saying that they upgraded my pre-order from "two-day delivery" to "release day delivery." So if you plan on buying physical and have Amazon Prime, you can take advantage of the 20% discount they offer on Switch games and still get your game this Friday.

I don't know if this applies to the Collector's Edition.

I can't believe we're so close. I was this hyped for XCX and, though I ended up making my peace with that game, I was somewhat disappointed since day 1. I hope this game delivers.

theMightyME

I forgot to mention this here, but Amazon sent me an email saying that they upgraded my pre-order from "two-day delivery" to "release day delivery." So if you plan on buying physical and have Amazon Prime, you can take advantage of the 20% discount they offer on Switch games and still get your game this Friday.

I don't know if this applies to the Collector's Edition.

I can't believe we're so close. I was this hyped for XCX and, though I ended up making my peace with that game, I was somewhat disappointed since day 1. I hope this game delivers.
I wasn't as hyped for xcx, I was worried about the story on that game from long before

Odo

it is the bigger world, not the better... the first game had a more interesting world, the verticality of it, the varried and alien landscapes, etc.. the on in X is just a more advanced (because of better hardware) and larger world with 1 area that is interesting in the way much of xbc's was

the entire world of xbc told a story... it was on the body of 2 gods, and you travered them, and traversed OVER them to the other one, and back, and even to the resting place of a severed limb the whole place told a story as you progressed, and the vistas showed soemthign different then you had ever seen before.. a massive sword blade over your head on a giant plains field... a view of the mechanical side of the world MOVING when it is woken up far in the distance

There was also more in the way of hidden mysterious temples with a lore to them guarded by giant spiders or titans who emerged on your trespass

hell, you could even do more in the world... like slide on the ace and launch yourself to find hidden areas
Yeah, the world connected to the lore in XC is really extraordinary. It's so incredible that I think why nobody thought about that before. A world which is two immense creatures in a more immense ocean that was the planet of those creatures. Only thinking about that makes me thrilled.

But, gameplay wise, XCX is better for my taste. And you can traverse it in your own custom built flying mecha in all the true freedom that I've been dreaming since N64 days: the real open world no-invisible-wall dream.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I got a notice from Amazon that mine shipped last night. While it will be nice to have it, as I mentioned, it will be a 2018 game for me. Skyrim is consuming my life for the foreseeable future.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I can't believe we're already here. Monolith releasing two of the biggest RPGs ever within two years of each other is up there with the top achievements of any modern developer.
I got a notice from Amazon that mine shipped last night. While it will be nice to have it, as I mentioned, it will be a 2018 game for me. Skyrim is consuming my life for the foreseeable future.
I'm sure I'll still be playing it in 2018. I played the original in marathons to finish before BotW. I plan on savoring this one.

(And darn...I always meant to do a podcast with you on our playthrough.)

Last edited:

Odo

What would make XC even more extraordinary would be a disaster of Majora's Mask proportion to happen involving the two titans.

Something like that on XC2 would be amazing. Imagine if all the living titans of XC2 live in the same ocean of XC and the two titans of XC are awakening and the signs show that they're gonna be fully awaken and wild in 2 months, but their level of awakening right now have already killed all the creatures living on them and once they're fully alive they gonna hunt the living titans of XC2, because in the past those titans were some sort of Tyrannosaurs Rex of the planet so that's gonna be the end of the world for XC2 protagonists.