Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I am so jealous of you guys because I won't be experiencing a Xenoblade game for the first time right away. Maybe I'll drain my sorrows by restarting XCX in return.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Xenoblade games are the kind of games that I'm scared to start because I suspect I'm going to need a good 4 or 5 solid hours just to get myself oriented. So just watching the title screen...
Same. FFS, it took me 5 years to come around to the original. But because I trust Monolith, I'll go along with 5-10 hours of foreplay before the game really clears its throat.

(Also, never change, Kotaku. For all of the people who say "reviews are opinions," this is the journalism you deserve. I even grok what the writer feels, because that's where I was with the original. But a media organization assigning a review to someone who is predisposed to disliking this sort of game? That's like having someone who hates gangster movies review Godfather. This is why "gaming journalism" isn't a thing.)

Goodtwin

I played through the intro on my lunch break. Not sure if I like the voice acting, and might download the Japanese voice acting dlc. So far so good. I like the character aesthetics a lot.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

EvilTw1n

I played through the intro on my lunch break. Not sure if I like the voice acting, and might download the Japanese voice acting dlc. So far so good. I like the character aesthetics a lot.
This is tortuous. I bought it at lunch. The game is in my jacket pocket. And I can't touch it for another 4 hours.

(I hated the English VA in the original. But it grew on me.)

Shoulder

This is tortuous. I bought it at lunch. The game is in my jacket pocket. And I can't touch it for another 4 hours.

(I hated the English VA in the original. But it grew on me.)
The VA in XC I thought wasn't too shabby, given the usual track record for JRPGs and their acting:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Okay so I have gotten into the game now, too the point where I don't get a tutorial every 3 steps, I can summon blades, and I have a nippon fighting with me... That is the best way I can describe how far I am without real spoilers I guess

Been doing some side quests... 1 is driving me nuts, I wish this game had the follow ball from XCX, I keep trying to find these 2 targets using the compass and it is frustrating because the main quest compass thing is getting in my way, making it impossible to judge distance... The map in general in this game is pretty shit (not the world, just the map of it)

This game is so much like the original, steep drops to nothing and all... Also the way death works is back which is a big improvement over XCX...

I kind of dig the new arts layout... Much faster and less cumbersome

Not sure about the menus yet, they are clearly designed to be easier to read in portable mode, which is good, the tiny unusable print of XCX is gone... But I keep hitting x for my menu and getting the warp map instead

Music is good, much much much better than x, not sure if it is as memorable as xbc though

Liking the story and characters so far

The characters are very exclusive in an anime way, I like that, some may not.

The equipment setup kind of sucks though, you can't change the look of your character at all, can't change outfits... They decoupled that from armor, I just how they eventually have costume options.

Graphically there are times the game looks great, but there are also some issues, my old enemy dithering rears is ugly head, especially on clouds... And there are areas with really bad textures and geometry... There is also a lot of clipping which is surprising considering the lack of outfit options.

But in general it looks good, just not as polished as botw

theMightyME

As for the Kotaku review, I saw who wrote it and just assumed

"Wah wah, not as innovative as people said, wah wah trails in the sky is better, wah wah I Masturbate to trails in the sky, wah wah"

All of that said, I like trails in the sky, but xbc was WAY better... And his obsession with trails and the way he uses his obsession to downplay anything that isn't trails is the worst kind of fanboy garbage I have ever seen.

As annoying as he is in text, he is like WAY way worse in podcast form too

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
As soon as he said that he didn't like the first game, I knew that he was not the person to have reviewed this game.
If you don't like a certain type of game or say you don't like "Mario" games, then don't be the person to review Mario games.

That would be like me saying, "Let me write a review for the Kardashians."

EvilTw1n

First thoughts:

-Way more JRPG at a way earlier point in XBC2 than in either of the other games. In the original, you got all of this room to explore Colony 9 and the surrounding fields right off the bat. It takes 5 hours to get that sort of freedom here.
-Cut scene pacing isn't bad like the original's Alcamoth stage "walk to cut scene, watch cut scene, walk two feet, watch another cut scene." But it's front-loaded. I'd rather be in a field, getting to know the world, but instead we're in a very narrow scope of storytelling. I feel like I'm playing a shōnen manga.
-Combat was terrible early. It was pretty much "watch auto attacks, maybe hit one art, fight over." I didn't feel involved at all.
-My expectations for the English voice acting were in the lowest gutter of hell. It's better than I thought, but my standards were exceptionally low. The repeating phrases can get a little grating, but...I'm pleasantly surprised, overall.
-To a certain degree, this kinda looks like an up-res Wii game in some places. I don't mean that as a put-down. I just went from playing DOOM to playing this, and the skeleton of how the visuals were built is obviously way, way different. I really like it, though. The original XBC only needs a higher resolution, and it would automatically be one of the prettiest games on the system.
-Anime art just works. I had my doubts, but I'm enjoying it. There's some BotW-ness to cel shading on NPCs, and also in the way the light makes a field positively glow during the daylight.
-Relatedly, the color palette is awesome. I get they were going for a sorta grittier, hard sci-fi look with the desaturation in XCX, but I'll take saturated colors in the original and this, thank you very much.
-The early music is a little too reminiscent of the original, like they're just outtakes from XBC.
-No Pyra ass censoring from the usual censor-happy Nintendo localization? I await the clash of internet fanbases on this (the "we don't want our Japanese games censored" crowd versus the "it's objectification" crowd), and I imagine Pyra screen captures from...uh, certain angles, are going to become memes. For the record, I don't care, just surprised.

So yeah. Honestly, I wasn't feeling it early on. But then...I got to the field in front of Torigoth.

And it all clicks perfectly and feels like Xenoblade. The sun rises, the geography is beautiful, a great field theme kicks in and the music is back on track, and there are high level enemies that will one shot you if you get too close. That's more like it. There are also some equally-leveled enemies with more robust health bars, and the combat takes off, because you can actually build up your arts. You start hitting the rhythm of auto-attack-to-art strikes, you use your arts more, and the blade arts finally start to work their magic. It's like a switch got flicked and the game comes alive. Can't wait to unlock Rapid Attack in Rex's affinity chart. Once I'm able to start a battle with one art already charged up, it's going to be fantastic.

The first 15 hours of XBC felt like the game wanted me dead. The first 5 hours of XBC2 felt like the game was flattering me.

I'm really, really glad to get past the flattering part. This is the good stuff now.
As for the Kotaku review, I saw who wrote it and just assumed "Wah wah, not as innovative as people said, wah wah trails in the sky is better, wah wah I Masturbate to trails in the sky, wah wah"
As soon as he said that he didn't like the first game, I knew that he was not the person to have reviewed this game.
If you don't like a certain type of game or say you don't like "Mario" games, then don't be the person to review Mario games.

That would be like me saying, "Let me write a review for the Kardashians."
Precisely. I'm not trying to say that negative reviews don't have their place. They do. They hinge on the review coming from a fair POV, though. If someone doesn't like racing sims, it makes little sense for them to review Gran Turismo.

But it gets worse. I read the comments. The dude reached out and requested to review this game. And he's a news editor for them. So he's feigning ignorance here of "well I just wanted to see if the game would be different" when a damn editor should know from less than 5 minutes of googling that this game was being built like the original. I shouldn't be surprised, but again, this is why "gaming journalism" isn't a thing - sloppy editorial standards.

Last edited:

theMightyME

He wrote multiple hit pieces about the first Xenoblade Chronicles, seemingly because he was offended that people thought it was a breath of fresh air for jrpgs, in pretty much every article he wrote about how amazing trails in the sky was, as a sort of parallel example

I get advocating for a game that people don't know about, but don't fucking leach off of the discussion of 1 game to belittle it as a means of promoting another... It is petty, obvious, and condescending... And as i said, he did it MULTIPLE times with the first game

It is like if I reviewed olive garden just so I could gush about macaroni grill, and then wrote several articles about macaroni grill disguised as negative stories about olive garden because olive garden was a big topic in the news

Pathetic

theMightyME

What is even more pathetic btw are the people defending him

Who just don't get his useless hits review is, who just think people are complaining because he didn't like the game, rather than because he didn't like what the game represents, and that he knew that going in, and still stole the review from somebody who could have provided context

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This game's still crack.

I did have issue with the first several hours of the game, though. The plot seems to be written for those of us that played the first one, as it immediately alludes to crazy plot twists and godly shenanigans. I preferred the way Xenoblade 1 started off as a revenge quest, it was very motivational.

I also preferred how Xenoblade 1 took only 20 minutes before dumping you into the massive Colony 9 area to do as you pleased. I remember spending about 5-6 hours running around before I even went into Tephra Cave. XC2, by comparison, takes about 4 hours before it puts you on Gaur's Plain 2.0.

And I had very mixed feelings about the combat initially. I didn't like how little choices I was making due to arts being so few and always on cooldown. I did like the new mechanical aspect to the combat via auto-attacks that increase in damage with consecutive hits, the fact that you can't attack while moving, and the canceling mechanic. I also discovered that you can perform auto-attacks faster if you move-cancel after an attack hits, making your 3-hit combos faster (which helps build arts more quickly), which I figure is intentional and is another mechanical aspect I enjoy.

Once I finally got a second blade, though, I appreciate the combat better. I'm still learning how the mechanics work, but it definitely feels great having the ability to change classes in the middle of a fight if, for example, I suddenly require more healing. It's also enabling me to do blade combos more easily, which were quite difficult for a while. And I can imagine there's a lot of creativity in this system later on, when I have arts that can break in one class, and topple in another, or buff/debuff in one, massive damage in another. The possibilities are endless, really.

I also think I'm about to get on a ship to sail through the clouds. I'm really curious as to how that's going to work. I'm hoping there are explorable islands in-between continents.

Oh, and the super-anime-fied story is ridiculous, as are the characters. I love it.

BobSilencieux

I like what I'm reading. I haven't had the chance to play as much yet, so am still in the restricted, less interesting, less engaging early stage that you guys have gone through. But just about to start chapter 2, so hopefully things are about to get interesting...

EvilTw1n

I like what I'm reading. I haven't had the chance to play as much yet, so am still in the restricted, less interesting, less engaging early stage that you guys have gone through. But just about to start chapter 2, so hopefully things are about to get interesting...
Yeah, the early stages are rough. It really does get better soon, though.
This game's still crack.
I looked at the time counter on my save file. 9 hours in one day. Still crack, indeed.
I did have issue with the first several hours of the game, though. The plot seems to be written for those of us that played the first one, as it immediately alludes to crazy plot twists and godly shenanigans. I preferred the way Xenoblade 1 started off as a revenge quest, it was very motivational.

I also preferred how Xenoblade 1 took only 20 minutes before dumping you into the massive Colony 9 area to do as you pleased. I remember spending about 5-6 hours running around before I even went into Tephra Cave. XC2, by comparison, takes about 4 hours before it puts you on Gaur's Plain 2.0.

And I had very mixed feelings about the combat initially. I didn't like how little choices I was making due to arts being so few and always on cooldown. I did like the new mechanical aspect to the combat via auto-attacks that increase in damage with consecutive hits, the fact that you can't attack while moving, and the canceling mechanic. I also discovered that you can perform auto-attacks faster if you move-cancel after an attack hits, making your 3-hit combos faster (which helps build arts more quickly), which I figure is intentional and is another mechanical aspect I enjoy.

Once I finally got a second blade, though, I appreciate the combat better. I'm still learning how the mechanics work, but it definitely feels great having the ability to change classes in the middle of a fight if, for example, I suddenly require more healing. It's also enabling me to do blade combos more easily, which were quite difficult for a while. And I can imagine there's a lot of creativity in this system later on, when I have arts that can break in one class, and topple in another, or buff/debuff in one, massive damage in another. The possibilities are endless, really.

I also think I'm about to get on a ship to sail through the clouds. I'm really curious as to how that's going to work. I'm hoping there are explorable islands in-between continents.

Oh, and the super-anime-fied story is ridiculous, as are the characters. I love it.
Yeah, we're of the same mind on the early going. Very little exploration, not much engagement with the combat...it's like there are 5 hours of training wheels on this game. I suppose this is because some people (like me) bitched about the first game being a little too daunting in the first 10-15 hours. They put in a lot of hand-holding here.

I'm going to need to look for an online tutorial of the combat* to get deeper into the weeds. What I'm doing is basically waiting for an art gauge to fill. When it's like one sliver away from filling, I time the button press with an auto attack landing, and it does an auto-to-art combo. I have gotten my second blade, but haven't been able to swap to it in a fight yet, either.

...yeah, alright. It's calling. Back to playing.

[*That is a legit complaint for this game, I think. Put the tutorials in a menu, please. This "read it once and it's gone forever"-thing is nonsense. Also legit complaints on the framerate hitching due to so many NPCs onscreen. BotW's Wii U version did this every time I went to a stable, but they patched it; I don't think the framerate hiccups can be fixed in XBC2, though.]

EDIT - Alright, just got through bosses at the end of chapter 2. 10 hours in, they're just now giving a tutorial on aggro. They're doling out combat info at a glacial pace (and still kinda not explaining the deepest intricacies too well).
He wrote multiple hit pieces about the first Xenoblade Chronicles, seemingly because he was offended that people thought it was a breath of fresh air for jrpgs, in pretty much every article he wrote about how amazing trails in the sky was, as a sort of parallel example
I didn't know he had wrote multiple articles like that; makes asking for this review copy all the more egregious. Hell, I'm trying to be generous (with my history of the game and all), but there's not much to work with. I mean, if I squint, I can kinda see why someone would be a little annoyed at the fanfare XBC got. No random/unskippable battles, no mandatory sidequests, no separate overworld map, no waiting around on day/night cycles if you're looking for something, save anywhere, insta-travel, linear story with really non-linear exploration...it isn't that Xenoblade invented each of those things. But XBC put them all in one game, in a relatively dead genre, and made it in a gigantic world that everyone else said "eh, too expensive to make those sorts of games now." That's why it was special and a breath of fresh air. Can't dismiss that just because you have other favorite JRPGs. :shrugs:

[Also, this is why it's humorous to me that some people are writing about how XBC2 can't compare to BotW or Odyssey, because it doesn't reinvent the wheel. C'mon, people. You were just saying a few years ago that Monolith had reinvented the wheel.]

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So my one HUGE complaint about this game... The map and compass... Seriously garbage... Seriously
Agreed. What I normally do is turn my character until the compass is centered and make a note of where I'm pointing on the minimap. That way I'll make sure I'm heading north east for example. Another thing to do is check the larger map for the red diamond (or blue) with the exclamation mark and try to figure out from where you are.

Im not too bothered because I'm managing to find some neat little hideaways and am going off the beaten path anyway.

EvilTw1n

This is a good combat guide, especially for blade combos, which the game doesn't explain that well. Or I'm just stupid.
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6369-x...ategy-tips-and-tricks-for-surviving-in-combat

For anyone following along at home, this...

...is just a damn tree.

Highlighted diamond is where the blade combo starts with your level I special.
You then have two diamonds to the right; you can go fire or dark for your level II special. If you choose fire...

...you eliminate the bottom half of the tree (because you didn't follow the dark combo).
Your level III special then has to finish on a red (fire) or yellow (electricity?). It's just follow the color.

Any time an ally has a blade combo available, you'll see it mapped to ZL or ZR. You only have to pay attention to color; it will always be the correct level special.

Pyra can't initiate break or topple, but she does a shit-done of positional damage with Driver Arts, and can pretty much do a blade combo by herself.

...although, I gotta say, all of this depth seems wasted in the first 10-ish hours. Auto-attacks, timing Driver Arts to charge your special, then using the special seems to kill anything of a similar level without much of a problem.
So my one HUGE complaint about this game... The map and compass... Seriously garbage... Seriously
I'm hoping they patch in something on the map, 'cause yeah, it's pretty much useless.

[Then again, I hope they would patch in more of a damn menu system for the tutorials.]

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Thinking more about this battle system...

On one hand, it can seem like a borderline train wreck. Driver Art combos - break, topple, launch, smash - seem tossed in for the hell of it (and if you stick with Pyra, it won't really matter to you). The UI isn't really intuitive for Blade combos. Cashing in with a chain attack to smash the opposite element seal you've created with a full Blade combo is damn right labyrinthine.

But...it's also effing brilliant. "Traditional" RPG combat comes in many forms, but the unifying thread is command attacks (in lieu of Zelda-y "press for instant gratification" attacks). Typically, that's been done in menus. XBC used the art wheel to keep you out of pages and pages of menus, but the art wheel itself was a simplified menu. XBC2 has no typical menu. The arts are tied to buttons. Blade combos have a tree, but it's not a menu you select from. It's all a matter of paying attention to the UI.

TL;DR - It achieves a pretty damn deep RPG battle system without the menu interface that scares people off of these types of games. If XBC2 actually bothered to explain itself well, it really could have been the "JRPG for the rest of us."

But...put another way...the screen and UI is the menu, which is why it can look so convoluted.

(I still prefer the original's system - shocker, I know - because I felt like I was managing the battles more by casting shield charms and heals while still attacking and managing aggro with Shulk.)

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Got two more rare Blades. Nia unlocked the Ice Rabbit lady, and Rex unlocked the weird lady who is also a book or something (but hey, at least I can drop my normy that only had Wind Mastery as a field skill).

I've gotten to the new town in Chapter 3, but I think I wanna spend some time grinding a bit, as I already feel low levelled.

praisegrima

Goodtwin

I am not very far into the game yet so I haven't observed a ton of these issues, but good grief, I am really surprised to see Monolithsoft release a product this technically rough after Xenoblade Chronicles X was so refined on Wii U. Sure, the tech is superior with XC2, but framerate issues seem less tied to visuals and more so tied to memory management. I mea WTF, walk away from town and you stay at or near 30fps, but turn around and head back and the framerate tanks? How was that missed in testing? I am sure in a few weeks it will be patched and the issues will be resolved, but for those of us playing day one, this means we will likely spend dozens of hours playing in a sub par state. The resolution is portable mode is pretty sad as well. We are talking lower than Wii here. Even on the smaller screen, 360p is pretty fucking terrible. The edge enhancer makes it stand out even more. Reminds me of Smash Bros 3DS vs Wii U.

I think we were all surprised that XC2 was ready to go only two years after XCX was released, and for good reason, that was an ambitious turnaround. XC2 wasn't quite ready to be pulled out of the oven. XCX screamed polish. Monolithsoft had taken control of the tech, and while some of the compromises were pretty offputing at times, the performance of the game was really good. I do not take issue with 720p docked, especially with some nice AA, but I take issue with framerates that are constantly under target. Looks like Monolithsoft has some finish work to do over the coming weeks, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed in them. Nintendo has released some really refined games this year, and its unfortunate to end the year with a game that obviously needed a bit more time.

Shoulder

I am not very far into the game yet so I haven't observed a ton of these issues, but good grief, I am really surprised to see Monolithsoft release a product this technically rough after Xenoblade Chronicles X was so refined on Wii U. Sure, the tech is superior with XC2, but framerate issues seem less tied to visuals and more so tied to memory management. I mea WTF, walk away from town and you stay at or near 30fps, but turn around and head back and the framerate tanks? How was that missed in testing? I am sure in a few weeks it will be patched and the issues will be resolved, but for those of us playing day one, this means we will likely spend dozens of hours playing in a sub par state. The resolution is portable mode is pretty sad as well. We are talking lower than Wii here. Even on the smaller screen, 360p is pretty fucking terrible. The edge enhancer makes it stand out even more. Reminds me of Smash Bros 3DS vs Wii U.

I think we were all surprised that XC2 was ready to go only two years after XCX was released, and for good reason, that was an ambitious turnaround. XC2 wasn't quite ready to be pulled out of the oven. XCX screamed polish. Monolithsoft had taken control of the tech, and while some of the compromises were pretty offputing at times, the performance of the game was really good. I do not take issue with 720p docked, especially with some nice AA, but I take issue with framerates that are constantly under target. Looks like Monolithsoft has some finish work to do over the coming weeks, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed in them. Nintendo has released some really refined games this year, and its unfortunate to end the year with a game that obviously needed a bit more time.
Yeah, from the sounds of it, the game was rushed to get out by the end of this year, and Monolith Soft will patch it later on. Why this might be the case is anyone's guess, but perhaps with all the pressure Nintendo is on with the Switch's surprising success, Monolith Soft might be in a crunch, which might also included another game in the works, and so maybe some of the programmers were not available.

The drop in framerate situation in DF with leaving and entering town is certainly ver peculiar, and might simply be a memory issue, which I would imagine could be easily patched.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The game does have a ton of NPCs in its towns, that definitely exacerbates the issue. Then again The Last Story had a more complex towns with more NPCs, and that felt fine.

Also I just want to mention that in the Japanese VA, they never say anything like "Architect," it's always just "God."

inb4 the politics thread explodes.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
The game does have a ton of NPCs in its towns, that definitely exacerbates the issue. Then again The Last Story had a more complex towns with more NPCs, and that felt fine.

Also I just want to mention that in the Japanese VA, they never say anything like "Architect," it's always just "God."

inb4 the politics thread explodes.
It's fairly clear that when they say "Architect" it's just another way of saying "God" in this game, since they flat out state he created the world the characters live in. (Also the way the Japanese said "God" could have specific connotations that the sub translators simply dropped and replaced with "God" since it was easier)

EvilTw1n

Sure, the tech is superior with XC2, but framerate issues seem less tied to visuals and more so tied to memory management. I mea WTF, walk away from town and you stay at or near 30fps, but turn around and head back and the framerate tanks? How was that missed in testing?
It does seem like NPCs drag down the framerate. TLS had complex towns, but not where you'd walk into an overworld like this. It makes you wonder if there's even a loading partition for towns in XBC2. But...
Nintendo has released some really refined games this year, and its unfortunate to end the year with a game that obviously needed a bit more time.
...Nintendo has already done this once this year. With Zelda. On Wii U, Breath of the Wild chugged like hell (we're talking teens to 20s) as soon as you walked into a horse stable. They patched it later, but after I was half-way done with the game (and there were frame hitches here and there on Switch that they also patched, where it seemed like load partitions were a little iffy - these also existed on Wii U, but in different areas, IIRC). Whether they'll patch this or not, I dunno. There are other parts of XBC2 (aside from the handheld performance, which is truly lamentable - apparently they blew their handheld dev time on 'dat huge text) that make me scratch my head - in act two, I was literally fighting enemies through walls. There are a few bugs here and there like that. And skip travel doesn't seem as quick as XBC, from what I remember. That'd be a lot of ground to cover in a patch, but maybe they can do it.

But the reason for these little things, I'm sure, is...
Yeah, from the sounds of it, the game was rushed to get out by the end of this year.
The turnaround on this game was insane. Monolith had just finished XCX for 2015 holiday, and they had staff working on field layout and topography for Breath of the Wild. That's a lot of development work. But they were asked to make a JRPG as big as this in under two years on top of that. I'm astonished the game runs as well as it does, tbh. It's got some chugging, and a couple of odd bugs, but overall? They're damn wizards in my mind.

Last edited:

theMightyME

It does seem like NPCs drag down the framerate. TLS had complex towns, but not where you'd walk into an overworld like this. It makes you wonder if there's even a loading partition for towns in XBC2. But...

...Nintendo has already done this once this year. With Zelda. On Wii U, Breath of the Wild chugged like hell (we're talking teens to 20s) as soon as you walked into a horse stable. They patched it later, but after I was half-way done with the game (and there were frame hitches here and there on Switch that they also patched, where it seemed like load partitions were a little iffy - these also existed on Wii U, but in different areas, IIRC). Whether they'll patch this or not, I dunno. There are other parts of XBC2 (aside from the handheld performance, which is truly lamentable - apparently they blew their handheld dev time on 'dat huge text) that make me scratch my head - in act two, I was literally fighting enemies through walls. There are a few bugs here and there like that. And skip travel doesn't seem as quick as XBC, from what I remember. That'd be a lot of ground to cover in a patch, but maybe they can do it.

But the reason for these little things, I'm sure, is...

The turnaround on this game was insane. Monolith had just finished XCX for 2015 holiday, and they had staff working on field layout and topography for Breath of the Wild. That's a lot of development work. But they were asked to make a JRPG as big as this in under two years on top of that. I'm astonished the game runs as well as it does, tbh. It's got some chugging, and a couple of odd bugs, but overall? They're damn wizards in my mind.
We also have to remember that the Xenoblade games sell in niche amounts... Like 300k versus like 8 million or so for BotW.. There is cost cutting

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
To be fair XCX did come out half a year earlier in Japan. But that's still a fast turnaround for a game of this scale.

And I take back what I said about the Last Story. That game's town felt populated and huge back when I played it, but looking at videos now, it doesn't hold up the same. XC2 towns are not just larger, more open, and probably with more NPCs, but they do have massive mountains, castles, and titans' limbs in the background.

Still, the game really makes me wish for a Switch Pro that could blow this game up to 900p and increase the draw distance for the vegetation. These games are the only ones that really make my inner graphics whore come out.

theMightyME

To be fair XCX did come out half a year earlier in Japan. But that's still a fast turnaround for a game of this scale.

And I take back what I said about the Last Story. That game's town felt populated and huge back when I played it, but looking at videos now, it doesn't hold up the same. XC2 towns are not just larger, more open, and probably with more NPCs, but they do have massive mountains, castles, and titans' limbs in the background.

Still, the game really makes me wish for a Switch Pro that could blow this game up to 900p and increase the draw distance for the vegetation. These games are the only ones that really make my inner graphics whore come out.
It would be easy to do, Nvidia has iterative hardware architecture... So they could release a Parker version of the SoC or better. I could totally see nintendo putting out a switch pro in like 2019 or 2020

Just a better faster chip with more Cuda cores, and like 8+ gb of ram, maybe a 1080p screen... Same size device, but larger screen with smaller bevels

Maybe 1 addition... Like maybe it will include a camera

Nvidia is already iterating on the SoC

Ideally it would run undocked at better than current dock spec, and run docked at a significant upgrade

Maybe they will release a cheaper console only version

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Got some good progress through Chapter 3, I feel. Opened up my modest collection of common and 4 rares and got a male Rare Blade for Nia and got the smol lightning girl Rare Blade (Electra) for Rex. So that puts my rare blade total up to 5 at present.

I've found my favorite blade combo to be this: Poppi (Earth) while I'm using Adenine to build up meter to get to level 2, then as soon as I do I switch back to Pyra and use (Volcano), then if things go lucky Nia will have Broken the enemy, and I get the Topple X Volcano bonus while I use the three pre readied arts to spam special energy. Then I switch back to Adenine, use her readied up arts, and hopefully can get the level 3 Blade Combo off with her before the Volcano timer runs out. If I can't, 9/10 Tora and Poppi have the Earth lvl 3 ender ready, and so I can go for that one, and then set up a Nia>Tora>Rex combo using a level 4 Wind art at the end to make even more damage.

(also I'm extremely glad I got a fresh, 4TB external to use to record footage from my Elgato, as it allows me to have flashback recording up the entire time I'm playing without worrying about running out of space) (Even sticking to mostly the main story I've got a ridiculous amount of footage, lol)

grimabepraised

theMightyME

I need a review on fanservice.

How good is pants customisation?
Haven't seen any outfit customization yet, you can rap accessories as armor but it doesnt change your appearance, maybe an outfit option will come into play, but so far nothing for me.

There is a lot of fan service in female clothing though, lots of scantily clad blades, and the main female blade is stacked

Goodtwin

I just finished chapter 2. I'm hooked. I dig the characters and story, and combat is starting to make more sense. This game is going to be a total time sink for me. Played 3 hours tonight, and it didn't feel like I really accomplished all that much.

theMightyME

I just finished chapter 2. I'm hooked. I dig the characters and story, and combat is starting to make more sense. This game is going to be a total time sink for me. Played 3 hours tonight, and it didn't feel like I really accomplished all that much.

That seems to be the hook point, the end of chapter 2

Seen a few others post that on reddit, and it was the case for me

BobSilencieux

That seems to be the hook point, the end of chapter 2

Seen a few others post that on reddit, and it was the case for me
Me too, really. I'm now 30 hours in, and just learned how to do a chain attack. Didn't know how to make elemental orbs. Still have one menu option unavailable. This is definitely a Xenoblade game...