Xenoblade Chronicles 2

BobSilencieux

But I'm almost done with this game. Have beaten every superboss in the game, have awakened and maxed out every blade (except Ursula, obviously), done practically every side quest and Merc mission... As good as these updates sound, there will be nothing for me to come back to this game for!

BobSilencieux

Has anyone here maxed out Ursula by chance?
Since I finally managed to bond Ursula, I've realised why she has a reputation as being one of the most hated blades on the internet. I read that, ideally, you want to get her early, so naturally I only managed to pull her as my second-to-last blade, at the very end of chapter 10. Trying to level her up to level 5 is possibly the most bullshitty bullshit out of all the bullshit in this game. It takes a frankly absurd amount of time, repeating the same boring bullshit ~150 times, if you want to even unlock the 5th tier of her affinity chart. It's probably even more skull-fuckingly boring than that time I actually tried to bond all the rare blades! And let me tell you, farming legendary crystals over and over and fucking over just for the chance to piss them all away on a bunch of hopeless common blades was a particularly boring and unsatisfactory endeavour. But this is worse. I've taken to just letting the game run while she's away on missions and I'm reading a book or playing cards because I've got literally nothing else left to do in the game. Nothing but wait for her to get her stamps and her 5000 fans... Then fill out her chart and be done with her forever!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Since I finally managed to bond Ursula, I've realised why she has a reputation as being one of the most hated blades on the internet. I read that, ideally, you want to get her early, so naturally I only managed to pull her as my second-to-last blade, at the very end of chapter 10. Trying to level her up to level 5 is possibly the most bullshitty bullshit out of all the bullshit in this game. It takes a frankly absurd amount of time, repeating the same boring bullshit ~150 times, if you want to even unlock the 5th tier of her affinity chart. It's probably even more skull-fuckingly boring than that time I actually tried to bond all the rare blades! And let me tell you, farming legendary crystals over and over and fucking over just for the chance to piss them all away on a bunch of hopeless common blades was a particularly boring and unsatisfactory endeavour. But this is worse. I've taken to just letting the game run while she's away on missions and I'm reading a book or playing cards because I've got literally nothing else left to do in the game. Nothing but wait for her to get her stamps and her 5000 fans... Then fill out her chart and be done with her forever!
Damn

Yeah, I thankfully had her running in the background while I filled out other charts. At first I thought it was broken because I kept doing quests and nothing happened. Then I found out you just have to keep sending her off. Real bad.
All for naught because her quest story sucks too. I dont even know if she's worth having for combat because I never fucking used her in combat. Rarely if ever.

At least when you're farming for cores you're fighting something and getting into a nice rhythm. No redeeming value for Ursula imo.

The charts of the other blades I have thus far are not on that level. Maybe Gorg and Vale, who have those extra crafting bits where you have to make desserts and textiles, but even there you can gather up everything pretty easily and quickly. Ursula was like a week long endeavor.

I've got 270ish real, not-in-sleep-mode, hours in the game and still have a lot to do. So idk how you speedran it that fast. Or do you just have an insane hour count too?

Koenig

The Architect
Nothing quite like stopping the game every 5 minutes to fiddle with your mercs and do it all over again for the last 20 hours of gameplay... I think I unlocked her "Final Concert" right before fighting the final boss; however I can't be bothered to go back and actually finish it now.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If I was a completionist, this game would have driven me bonkers. 90 hours and beating it with a select few blades was enough. I'll come back to it every now and again to do sidequests I missed, but that's about it.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Nothing wrong with being a completionist IMO, but it sure would be nice if more games had them in mind when being designed.
completionism is like ocd for gaming, but like willful OCD... if a game wants to feel massive ins cope they need to do things to make experience you muight never come across in a single playthrough... the same measures that insure this also make games annoying for completionists

monolith should just make everythign easier to acquire on new game plus or post game... but like even there, if you brought a character that was a pain to level up into a new game plus as an already acquired blade it probably wouldn't even phase you to upgrade the character then... so it is really ONLY feeding the OCD monster for a fix that is driving people crazy

it would probably take you less time to beat the game twice, with the second win acting as a completionist run then it would to try and get everything before you beta it (or atleast once the ng+ rolls out)

that is why I say that completionists are driving themselves mad, it isn't the game, it is your need to ebat it your way with everything

I have come to a hybrid between completionism and acceptance.. I satrt out as a completionists, but as I start to burn out I just move forward and progress for a while without paying that nagging voice any mind... then I go back to being a completionists for a while, until it unnerves me, and then I move on... I tend to finish a game like this at about 80-90% like, I get all the blades, but I don't max them... I do all of the important quests, but leave a few open, and I don't really bother with the super bosses, except maybe just a few... like I did it to complete the collectopedia in the first game, but only that far

with all of that done... I leave the possibility of returning later, but probably wont... as there is too much else to play/watch/read/listen to

I mean... I could spend another 100 hours in pure frustration tryign to finish out every last detail in xc2... ORRRR I could watch altered carbon.... I could spend hours upon hours sending a blade on merc missions to level her up... ORRRR I could read the new Berserk chapters...

thankfully, the nature of the switch means you could still do some of this in an unfrustrating way... like send the blade on merc missions in handheld mode while watching altered carbon on your tv... just checking in every 10 minutes or so

y'all weak. I get antsy not having this game in my hands for a few hours. And its not because I need to complete it, its just that its still really fun to go in and mess around with. Completing it is just a bonus, the only frustration comes when I am done with everything. Then I just have to wait for the next big thing.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It takes a lot for me to play a game as a completionist these days. Mario Odyssey? Hell yes. Just moving around is so much fun in that game, I'll do whatever they ask me to do. Xenoblade Chronicles X or 2? Hell no. Playing a rhythm game with the Arts is not fun enough for me to do it 1,000 times to finish tedious affinity charts or to gather 20 bear asses.

I used to be a lot more willing to play games like that in earlier days. I probably completed about 95% of the quests in the first Xenoblade, and they weren't Oscar-worthy storylines or anything. Then again, I'll still be a completionist for particular things that I really like about games. When it comes to exploration, I'll always try to fill out the map and see every area, no matter the game. Or to beat all the optional bosses, like in Souls games.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I like Ursula.

Then again, I have no intention of seriously completing her chart.

She's just Morag's Ice blade. That's it.
I use Ursula with Zeke and like her quite a bit. I'm pretty bummed that she has such a ridiculous affinity chart. I plan on kicking her off the team beary soon along with her little fishies she loves so much.

Koenig

The Architect
The more I think back to X2, the more I grow to resent the game. I don't like feeling like this at all.

I really hope that X3 (If one ever does happen) takes a very different route in how its story and characters are handled; I am simply not a fan of the route they went with in X2.

With that said... It remains to be seen how these tropes and styles would work in a much more open game like XCX. I would not necessarily be apposed to them trying it with XCX2 (Although I would prefer a direct follow up to XCX rather than a rebooted or indirect one.

XCX SPOILERS
Considering we still never found out how everyone was still alive with the memory banks of the Lifehold destroyed, or what the ancient Mech was, or what was even up with Planet Mira. I reallly want to see a proper conclusion to that before they change the thematic direction of the series.
)

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Have anyone had an issue in XC2 with the R targeting not working?
I can't seem to target enemies anymore. I could early on in the game.

Don't know if it's my controller or if it is a bug in the game.

sjmartin79

Damn. Steve2's been out of town for work. (and has his Switch with him)
Tonight I'll have to try his right joycon in my Switch to see if it's just an issue with my Joy Con.
If not, then it just sucks.
So, last night, I got to a new area of the game, and something about getting to the new area fixed the R targeting.
Don't ask me how.
I went back to the area that was having so many problems, and it worked there (for the first time).
Can't explain it, but I'm glad it's all good now.

I tried other games, and the R button works just fine. So it was some weird temporary blip in the game.

EvilTw1n

https://local.theonion.com/man-who-has-clocked-137-hours-in-rpg-can-t-believe-he-h-1823333583/amp

You've truly made it, Xenoblade. You've been part of an Onion article.

Oh, and the DLC drop is imminent, right?
So, last night, I got to a new area of the game, and something about getting to the new area fixed the R targeting.
Don't ask me how.
I went back to the area that was having so many problems, and it worked there (for the first time).
Can't explain it, but I'm glad it's all good now.

I tried other games, and the R button works just fine. So it was some weird temporary blip in the game.
Hmm, that's a weird bug. I had some gather points that refused to follow initial button prompts, but nothing like that.

theMightyME

theMightyME

@theMightyME I wasn't sure that OPRainfall was worth it until this very moment.
I thought it was the second soraya saga cheered us on using twitter, and then again as the sales picked up in Japan in a way that told me it was definitely due to the news,and then as x and 2 were revealed without even the consideration that it wasn't coming to the US

there have been many moments in which I felt the pay off

but yeah, it is just absolutely insane seeing commercials for the game during south park episodes, or seeing the game break a million units in a very short amount of time, and any coverage of the game at all really, just another cool moment

Koenig

The Architect
The moment that the original XC clicked for me was the moment I realized that all of operation rainfall was worth it. XC was definitely the standout and one of the best games made in the past decade, but Pandora's tower was also a nice hidden gem. I can't say much for The Last Story.

theMightyME

The moment that the original XC clicked for me was the moment I realized that all of operation rainfall was worth it. XC was definitely the standout and one of the best games made in the past decade, but Pandora's tower was also a nice hidden gem. I can't say much for The Last Story.
The last story had it's strengths, I really liked the tavern in the game and how natural it felt for your party to be hanging around there, there was also some clever stuff in the battle system, and the graphics were well beyond what was expected of the Wii... I thought the boys trust at the end if the game was cool too...I do think it was the worst of the 3 though..
But I think a the last story 2 could have been amazing, same with Pandora's Tower

Patch/Update with new game plus and a whole lotta other goodies is up. Just in time for another round of core bonding.

Issues Fixed
  • Fixed an issue occurring in chapter 7 and onward, in which specific conditions caused bonded blades and drivers to not appear in the Manage Blades menu.
  • Fixed an issue associated with acquiring Perun’s Key Affinity Gift in which the counter for “small good deeds” required to earn it would stop, making the item unobtainable.
  • Fixed an issue associated with acquiring Perceval’s Affinity Gift, “Brandish,” in which certain monsters failed to count toward the requirements “Defeat Igna enemies in Uraya. (Excludes unique monsters.)” and “Defeat Tirkin enemies in Tantal. (Excludes unique monsters.)”.
  • Fixed an issue associated with acquiring Perceval’s Affinity Gift, “Brandish,” in which defeating high-level Tirkin enemies (around level 80) failed to count toward the “Defeat Tirkin enemies in Tantal. (Excludes unique monsters.)”.
  • Fixed an issue in which Blades with the condition“Deal a certain amount of damage in one hit” to acquire Affinity Gifts would not meet the condition if they were not present at the start of a battle, and were brought in via Blade Switching instead.
  • Fixed an issue in which Rare Blades, once released, could not achieve a level of Trust higher than S1, even if bonded with a different Driver.
  • After applying this update, performing an action to raise Trust (clearing quests, using pouch items, etc.) will raise the rare blade’s Trust to the correct rank.
  • Fixed an issue with Poppiswap in which if the player possessed a combined total of 1023 or more Skill RAM and Skill Upgrade parts, and equipped the 1024th part, they would be unable to set or crystalize any additional parts, even if they had enough energy to do so.
  • Fixed an issue in which the descriptions for the Silver Feather and Phantom Feather accessories was switched.

Advanced New Game has been added
  • Players with save data from the final chapter and who have cleared the game will now be able to select “Advanced New Game” on the title screen and carry over some of their data from the previous playthrough.

Elements carried over into Advanced New Game
  • Driver levels
  • Driver and Blade equipment and growth
  • Awakened Blades
  • Acquired items and gold
  • Town development status and Merc Group level
  • Status of Events Theater and defeated unique monsters
  • Play time

New system features added to Advanced New Game
  • Bonding with certain Blades from Torna will allow them to join your party.
  • Meeting certain Blades from Torna in the game world will allow them to join your party.
  • All Blades can be dispatched on Merc Missions.
  • Driver Hidden Affinities have been unlocked. New skills can also be learned.
  • Zeke’s “Eye of Shining Justice” has been unlocked. (The skill can be learned by developing Zeke’s Hidden Affinities)
  • Levels can now be decreased at inns, with a corresponding amount of bonus EXP being granted for the number of levels decreased.
  • Traveling Bards that will exchange Bonus EXP and special items have been added to various locations throughout Alrest.
  • Traveling Bards are displayed on the mini map as green shop icons.
  • Among the newly exchangeable items, there are those that will increase the number of accessories a Driver can have equipped.
  • Level 4 Specials have been unlocked for certain Blades.

Things to note in Advanced New Game
  • Quests, Heart-to-Hearts, and Skip Travel points will all be reset.
  • Cleared Merc Missions will be reset.
  • Saving after beginning an Advanced New Game playthrough will overwrite the save data in which you initially cleared the game.

Other Updates

• Easy difficulty has been added. Due to this addition, the default difficulty will now be “Normal.”
  • This only adjusts the balance of elements of battles. Game difficulty can be changed at any time via the Options menu.
  • Added a “simple mode” option allowing players to skip the lottery animation when bonding with Blades.
  • Added the ability to “lock” Blades so that they can’t be mistakenly released.
  • Added a “Sort” option to the Blade List, Accessories, Aux Cores, and Poppy’s Skill Parts.
  • Map icons will now appear on the mini map.
  • Adjusted AI to perform Blade Switches with no regard for Driver combos when using Drivers that prioritize Driver combos while fighting enemies against whom those combos aren’t effective.
  • Added the ability to receive the 4th round of items distributed via the Expansion Pass.

EvilTw1n

Siliconcera flagged (and apparently translated) this interview with Takahashi-san.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/0...xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

Original, un-translated link:
http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/180202

If anyone was wondering why this game felt a little rough, well, there's your answer.

The core XBC2 team was only made up of about 40-something people.

(Yes, they outsourced some tasks and then edited that outside material...but still. Approximately 40 people.)

sjmartin79

Steve2 finished the game last night. He thoroughly enjoyed it.
Because I was playing Skyrim and then Doom when he started, he had a huge head start on me, so I'm only in Chapter 3 right now.

theMightyME

Siliconcera flagged (and apparently translated) this interview with Takahashi-san.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/0...xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

Original, un-translated link:
http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/180202

If anyone was wondering why this game felt a little rough, well, there's your answer.

The core XBC2 team was only made up of about 40-something people.

(Yes, they outsourced some tasks and then edited that outside material...but still. Approximately 40 people.)
it definitely felt rushed and under developed to me, I wonder what monolith could pull off with the development resources of botw

EvilTw1n

I have only put a few hours into Torna, but...wow.

Before BotW launched, I remember talking to @Juegos about "what would happen if Monolith actually made a game that was accessible to the masses?" Zelda stole that thunder by giving a Monolith-sized world with simpler, easy-to-understand combat. I'm only a few hours in, but so far it seems that Torna is as close as they've ever come to doing it on their own, under their own banner. The vanguard switching sounded like it would needlessly complicate things, but I think it's an easier pick-up-and-play system than XBC2.

Monolith comically undersold the updated rendering system. There were some areas that were flat-out rough in XBC2, but the very first area you see in Torna has plenty of detail in vegetation/underbrush. It's not a night-and-day leap, but it's noticeable. And the characters seem to blend in to the world better.

Lora and Jin have actual chemistry, too, which is nice.

So far, so good.

EvilTw1n

So...Torna was pretty awesome.

I can't decide if it's better than XBC2, primarily because it only feels like the opening act of a bigger game. It starts off far better than XBC2, but it doesn't reach the heights of the full game because it doesn't have enough time to build up to them.