Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

Always love the article from Games Industry (and the comment section is mostly mature too).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-02-yoshida-i-dont-understand-people-who-only-want-aaa

Take a read.

------------------------------------------------
Some nice things he said about Nintendo.

"I was very happy to get a very positive reaction when we announced LittleBigPlanet 3. We are concerned a little bit when we work on a game like LittleBigPlanet 3, about how people will react, because people want those big-budget, realistic, military shooters. But there were lots of cheers, a lot of affection.

"And the reaction to Nintendo's games in general, or a game like Splatoon. If you look at the whole industry, and you consider Nintendo, I think the balance is actually better than past years."

------------------------------------------------

Odo

People have said that, but we must say it again: Splatoon is the only real innovative shooter of this generation.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
People have said that, but we must say it again: Splatoon is the only real innovative shooter of this generation.
I honestly think Titanfall is pretty innovative. People will point to parkour, jetpacks, and mechs being old ideas, but had anyone really played a game with all these things being the core mechanics at the same time in a Team Deathmatch-centric FPS game? Titanfall is freaking sweet.

Splatoon looks great too of course.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I honestly think Titanfall is pretty innovative. People will point to parkour, jetpacks, and mechs being old ideas, but had anyone really played a game with all these things being the core mechanics at the same time in a Team Deathmatch-centric FPS game? Titanfall is freaking sweet.

I'm inclined to agree, and I haven't touched Titanfall at all. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily have any actual original ideas. Rather, it uses existing ideas which have been present in past games, and simply combined them into one thing. When some people talk about innovation, that terms can mean more than simply having an entirely new original idea. What about taking an already existing idea and simply giving it a new take on it?

As an example, a hydrogen fuel-cell car is still a car, but the process of powering it is totally innovative and new. The car itself is over one-hundred years old, and the idea of having an electric car is also nothing new. But the whole process of how it's powered is what's new.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
GamesIndustry puts up some good stuff.

And I think Yoshida-san is right; the balance now is better than it was a few years ago. We talked a little about it here on the forums, although it was mostly about color palettes and saturation. Indies and smaller-scale games are much more likely to take some risks with their art and gameplay. Those sorts of games are rapidly filling in the old mid-tier "A/AA budget" games, and it makes for a more diverse catalog of available games.

Sometimes innovation isn't about a never-before-attempted mechanic. The freshest FPS last gen was COD4, even though class-based FPS and light RPG elements weren't new. I haven't had a chance to play Titanfall, but just watching matches on youtube shows that it has brought back Quake-y agility and combined it with everything the FPS genre has learned since Halo.

Splatoon, OTOH, just relies on a very simple change - shooting the environment takes precedence over shooting other players. For years, devs have tried to make environmental interaction a bigger part of gameplay. Well, this seems like the easiest way to get there, I think.