Your final NX predictions before Offical info

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
We have had amazing threads and discussions about NX.......and all this without Offical information from Nintendo. So before this happens I know many of us have our own ideas about what NX is what it will launch with, and when etc etc.

Essentially this isn't a "quote / discuss" thread as its more of a "this is what I believe and I wanna see how close I am when the Offical word comes out" thread.

I've enjoyed so much reading yalls thoughts over many NX threads but this will just be the "oh yeah that's how he feels it will be" thread. So I'll start and get this party rolling. Anything you believe NX will be this is the place to put it. Let's begin shall we?:msrs:

- I am a 2017 NX believer.

- I think NX will be a "family of consoles with handheld / home console".

- I think Nintendo will go with a cartridge based medium with a twist. They will only build one game, but depending on which you plug that game into it will read the game as handheld or home console.

- I think Nintendo is gonna market NX as the "secondary console" for all homes. And leave MS/PS to fight it out at the top.

- These are the launch titles I think will be there.
1. Splatooner2
2. Monster hunter 5
3. LoZ
4. Mario platformer.

5. And this is my wildcard slot. This is the slot were it can nail a ton of people and we're all shocked. So this spot is reserved for games such as Wii Sports, Mario Maker, Animal crossing. Something of this nature at launch is a must.

- I believe that Nintendo comes in very aggressive with price point and models. I think you will be able to choose to buy a handheld or home console separate. Or that a deluxe version with both will be sold at an aggressive price point.

- I think NX will easily "speak" to other devices you may have. Phone / tablet / laptop / TV I think it's gonna be very connectable.

- First party and third party alike will be there. But it will be more unique titles not just "all of EA sports games". More in lines with games like SPLATOON from Nintendo, and W101 from platinum. That's the type of support I mean.

EDIT: - I don't think it will be much more powerful than a PS4. I predict some are gonna view it as "weak hardware". Any bump in power is fine by Nintendo. But they tend to keep power to a min to save money on selling the hardware. That's why I think I could be viewed as underpowered.

I think I've about covered it as far as how I feel and these are for sure my rock solid predictions I won't waver from until I hear Offical from Nintendo what the NX is.

Feel free to leave yours aswell that way when we get the true word we can come back and see if our predications were close or not. :mgrin:

Last edited:

FriedShoes

MLG
Please keep every thought in one post, as Matt said, not really a place to quote and discuss, thats the other thread. This is more a gallery we will look back on to awe and laugh at after official news. I guess at that point we can start a quotefest.

I'll be editing this post later when I get my thoughts and laptop in order.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I predict NX will be a home & portable console that will be sold and released separately. The home unit will be slightly to somewhat more powerful than the PS4, while the portable unit will be roughly as powerful as the Wii U while also having 3D capabilities. The systems will both use cartridges as opposed to discs in order to streamline playing games for either component of the family of systems. Backwards compatibility will only be available for games that the user has downloaded for both Wii U and 3DS family of systems. The home console NX will have 1TB of storage, while the portable NX will have 250GB of storage.

The Virtual Console service will be heavily altered from its current form and will be completely tied to your paid My Nintendo account service. Paid My Nintendo account holders will be able to download hundreds of classic games from all Nintendo systems, Sega systems, and TurboGrafX-16 for no additional charge. Retro gaming will become a larger part of Nintendo's overall business model and marketing.

The NX home console will launch in late 2016 with the new Zelda title, a Deluxe Edition of sorts of Smash Bros. 4 with all DLC, and a new IP as the heavy hitters. The NX handheld will launch in holiday 2017 with Super Mario Sunshine HD remaster and a new Monster Hunter title as the heavy hitters.

Nintendo will completely restructure their release schedule models so that there will be at least 1 fairly large game launch every month, and more than 1 per month during the runup to the holidays.

The NX home console will launch with a price of $299.99 while the portable system will launch with a price of $199.99.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
ok... so...

1 have 2 different prediction sets... 1 is what Nintendo should do, the other is what most people here seem to want nintendo to do

Should Do:
Hybrid System - larger device, like tablet instead of phone... probably about the size of a wii u gamepad, but maybe thinner, comes with a dongle for your TV to play on that screen compatable with all of nintendo's blutooth based controllers (wii u pro, wii remote), a little bit more powerful than a wii u, probably 32gb storage with micro sd support and a 3ds-esque card slot.... the system is basically a wii u in reverse... Late November 2016, retailing for about $250-300 ($300 with a game)

Games:
Splatoon (the original, not a sequel, maybe some additional content that could be paid dlc for the wii u version)
Mario Kart 8 (same deal as above)
Mario Maker (same as above)
Smash Bros for NX (same as above)
Zelda Wii U (on both wii u and nx)
new 3d Mario
New Game from retro (probably pushed back to 2017)
reveal of a new Pokemon for the system in development (no date given)
3rd party announcements from mostly japanese companies... Square Enix, level 5

What gamers say they want:
10X more powerful than ps4, built in 2TB hdd... retail price of $1000
ports of all of the big multiplats.. except the ones people actually care about (battlefield, gta)... all of the multiplat ports run worse than the ps4 counterparts... revealed later that the ports were done by a single person.. as in EVERY port was done by the same single person... who doesn't really know code.... every publisher refers to these ports as a "test" the day those ports come out they announce that significantly cheaper versions with mroe features are ehaded to the other systems as game of the year editions... nothign for NX.... Nintendo ports over mario Maker and Splatoon and Zelda.... no actual new games from nintendo at launch... 3d mario delayed to 2018.... nintendo looses billions... is taken over by Microsoft in a hostile take-over... all key Nintendo talent quits the company, pursues ventures outside of gaming... without nitnendo to spice things up.. the entire industry collapses in 2025... young potential gamers become angry and join ISIS like terrorist groups, those groyups get their hands on nuclear launch codes.... 10,000 years later a baren life-less Earth is visited by intelligent alien life-forms.... they determine that Nintendo trying to compete with power on the NX was the downfall of mankind.

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
pre-E3 predictions:

I think we'll get some sort of pre-E3 formal announcement about codename NX and what it is supposed to be (abouts). I don't think Nintendo will show all their cards st once though. Like I said, what I want is the opposite.--I think they should lay all the cards on the table at once at an actual E3 show floor event like the rest of the big boys. They won't though.

Some light will be shown on the system. Perhaps even some actual photos of the console itself and some current gen gameplay. Probably some games officially revealed, but no promise on the actual launch lineup. I think Nintendo will continue to be evasive and enigmatic about the console's hybrid functionality and architecture. I am guessing that the hybrid console/handheld business will be having a lot to do with the rumor that they will release their "handheld" portion before the console itself. More specifically, they are ditching their proprietary off-tv second screen and are building the NX to be compatible with tablets instead, but keeping second screen innovation. However, they are adopting some sort of OS for tablets to coincide with a new handheld lineup that will be fulling integrate-able with their NX console, releasing the OS early for tablets. That explains the half-truth rumor of them releasing the "handheld" portion separately and early. I hope this is what it turns out to be. It makes the most sense to me, but nintendo rarely does what I except.

Then we will probably get another Direct around the time of TGS 2016, further explaining more of what the NX is and does. A light lunch window preview will be shown, but again, not thee entire launch lineup. The NX handheld portion release date will be revealed to be (around TGS) soon or later in 2016. The NX console itself revealed for a firm 2017 release date.

The console itself will be about as powerful as the PS4/XOne, turns out people are looking way too much into that "900p" report.

Hopefully this push... Nintendo can start R&D on the NX successor and release it along side the PS5 and Xbox Next in the 9th gen instead of being late tot he party. Hell, it would even go along with Nintendo's forced 5-year console lifecycle. I am under no illusion that the NX will do anything but be playing catchup for the rest of this gen. No matter what the NX does or doesn't turn out to actually be or do... hopefully they plan on taking their momentum and returning as an actual competitor in the video game universe at the beginning of the next console generation

Laundry list of what I WANT from the NX:
  • Sacrificing resolution and frame rate rule, per release. All multiplayer games must sacrifice resolution for a stable, high frame rate. Single player games and modes should sacrifice 60fps for a locked 30fps and a higher resolution. NO dynamic resolution for any game.--the technique is jarring and ugly (Halo 5).
  • Wii U backwards compatibility and Virtual Console sync for the Wii U. All Wii U titles in the form of VC. Disc drive compatible. Gamepad compatible for all Wii U VC and BC titles.
  • Original Wii backwards compatibility and sync in the same way via Virtual Console. Uprezed. And Gamepad enabled for all titles.
  • General BC and VC. all titles, Wii U, Wii, CGN and otherwise, gamepad (and/or tablet) enabled for off-tv play. Wii remote enabled. All wired legacy and pro controllers enabled (Wii pro, GCN adapter, ect).
  • Standard controller... the standard. shipped with every system. Wii remote and gamepad options secondary. We're done re-inventing the goddamn wheel. Takes ques from Microsoft and Sony. Fully clickable bumpers and buttons. Pressure sensitive triggers. Vibration rumble build-in all around controller. 3.5mm jack. Rechargeable battery pack and (long) usb cord included.
  • Console designed for performance and feature, not to be a Japaneses tiny tool that looks "sexy" in the living room. Robust fans so the console doesn't slow burn like all the 7th gen systems. Power brick needed or not.
  • More console options. Simple buy-in options at a cheaper price. Premium editions for premium gamers. Controller standard mentioned previous, and a 2T internal storage available in cheapest model/bundle.
  • Wii U support NOW. Lead the next generation of consoles with a powerful cpu and gpu later (no earlier than 2019). Frontrunner in the console race, not taking a back seat in 2-3 years.
  • Achievement/Trophy system. Not a simple tack-on. A real system with unique Nintendo flair to entice gamers to play more and make gaming even more fun.
  • Robust and serious online storefront unified with the Nintendo brand. Retrieval option for all past digital purchases with the Wii U and original Wii. And into the future...! (Microsoft and Sony both still don't do this right either)
  • External memory options. SD cards. External Hard Drives. Cloud storage. Third party devices compatible.
  • Cartridge slot legacy games. Possible compatibility for non-Nintendo systems. Doesn't need to be out of the box, but software enabled and addon options.
  • Blue-Ray brand and drivers. No Nintendo patented optical discs.
  • Third party support. Real third party support.
  • More focus on Nintendo's blockbuster IPs. A big Metroid, Mario or Zelda AAA release every year.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So, without looking at everyone's posts I'll drop in my thoughts.

The system:
-Equivalent to an R 290x or slightly higher to allow Oculus Rift support or something similar in the future. It would be part of AMD's next generation of graphics cards that are open source to access low level support. AMD gets a win out of this by making it easier for NX games to be ported to PC with very little optimization needed.
-Solid State everything. Even the games you purchase at the store would come on a proprietary SD card that is incapable of being rewritten on. All the games memory would happen no the hard drive.
-External hard drives may not be solid state but there would be a warning against them regarding slow loading times.
-Ram will be at least 8GB.
-The system will be high efficiency.

The controller:
-The wrap-around screen on controller patents that were released are mostly true. There will be limited touch screen action areas in the center and we will see a (hopefully) similar button layout to the WiiU Gamepad. The Gamepad may be backwards compatible so there can be two ran simultaneously.
-This system is not about asymmetrical gameplay at all. It will be about giving people choices. Almost all controllers from Gamecube to WiiU will be available including cell support with an app for specific games. This will probably be abandoned later on or right before it really happens.

The games:
-Either Zelda U will be a launch title while launching simultaneously with the Wii or Mario will.
-Mario will be a Sunshine 2 using Splatoon ink stylization.
-Splatoon will not be a launch title. It is too soon. I think it will be a year later unless Nintendo tries to "pokemonize" it by making it nearly yearly.
-Eternal Darkness 2 will be a NX title but not a launch one. I think it will be at E3 in a playable form. Dyack dropped off the world after stating that he had a partner for his new game when the funding fell through. This silence plus his stated love in the game forums for Nintendo make me think its really happening.
-Miyamato's special project games have become free launch titles used as demos.

Crazy Rumors-
-NX will have an app for Miitomo on other systems but you will not actually play video games by Nintendo on those systems. It will be an avatar service. Minimally invasive.
-NX will be the hybrid system. You can buy one game and play it handheld or big tv. It will scale the resolution and fps down for handheld. Games will either be "DESIGNED FOR HOME" or "DESIGNED FOR ON THE GO PLAY" or "DESIGNED FOR HOME AND ON THE GO PLAY" If you purchase one for home you may have issues with tiny text on your mobile console. If you play on the go you may have issues with junky textures on the big screen.

Price-
-NX will be $399 at launch. We are past the point of 299 or even 199 gaming systems due to inflation. This will shock some people but they will get over it. They may release a $349 price later for people who already have a Gamepad controller and want to use that instead.

Release-
Winter 2016

Goodtwin

I'm going with the recent hybrid setup rumor. I have envisioned that as a logical direction for Nintendo to go, and believe it can work. They have the low latency streaming tech dialed in so having it work seamlessly on the tv is no issue.

Spec wise I think it will have a 700 Gflop gpu, the new ARM cpu function a similar to x86, probably 8 cores. I'm guessing 4GB of HBM memory. On paper, it will look weaker than X1, but thanks to the more modern components, they will get better performance per flop.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Koenig

The Architect
-I expect the NX to be a set of systems with a number of cross functional features.

-I except to see the handheld version released in 2017 and the console version released in 2018.

-I expect that Nintendo will try to reinvent the wheel in terms of control, again.

-I expect that this time they will have at least one decent launch title.

-I expect both systems to act like a hub for all of Nintendo's mobile apps and games.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Okay here is my prediction (more like wish, but we'll call it prediction for the sake of the thread), and it's what I've been saying and hoping for in all my other NX posts. And yes, I know a good portion isn't completely realistic, but I can dream.

Dual Screen Handheld that functions as a handheld/console.
Dongle to connect to device that can put the games from the handheld dual screens onto your TV or monitor. (Reverse Wii U gamepad)
Motion controls/accelerometer in controller
One library of games.

This works for those that prefer a handheld. (I'm looking at you Japan.) Or a console for those that aren't into handheld gaming.
On par with Xbone and PS4 - and for Nintendo games, this is sufficient. (Nintendo has an artistic style to their games that age extremely well versus attempts at photorealism.)

Controller will be slightly larger than New Nintendo 3DS XL. Clamshell top screen will be recessed enough that control sticks on controller (2 of them) could fit inside the closed controller. This way you still have something or portable size. (Or maybe they'll come up with a design that is still portable and doesn't need closed.

Cartridge based games.
Expandable internal memory.
Cloud storage. Can load all digital purchases from Wii U to cloud.

Launch window games:
Zelda NX
a Mario 3D game (in the style of Sunshine or Galaxy)
Retro Studios Game
Pikmin 4
Smash 4 (with all DLC already released)
MK8 (with all DLC already released)
Splatoon (with a few updates to make it worth a re-purchase if necessary)

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
-2016 release for home console NX

-Cross platform development between the two very easy and streamlined

-There will be a new tablet controller, a new pro controller, and a console

-Tablet controller is fully portable. By itself, it's more tablet than handheld

-True handheld will be released in 2017

-Tablet controller can be bought by itself. Part of Nintendo's mobile gaming approach

-2 console SKUs. One with tablet, one without

-console comes with console controller

-Rotary bumper buttons on new pro controller

-NX syncs with tablets, phones, and other electronic devices.

Last edited:

Odo

Great thread!

Release: I used to believe November 2016, but since December, I believe it will come out in 2017.

Architecture: I stick to my first idea when they announced the codename NX. It's a multi device platform running an unified Nintendo OS. All generations from that on will just be a more powerful device running the newest version of Nintendo OS, like iPhone/iPad.

Devices: The first device is a big one that lets you play on TV, a home console. The second one, later on, will be the smaller device, a handheld console. Nintendo then will be able to release other devices running the same OS. The big one is going to be more powerful to deliver games like Xenoblade while the smaller one is suited for games like Pokemon. It's like iPad/iPhone strategy. The development is easy since they'll be coding games for the same OS and some games will come out for both. The bigger one will run Wii U games and the smaller one will run 3DS games. Later, there will be many device options available, something like the biggest one, the medium, the smaller, the tiny, the cheaper, etc, like iPhone 5c,6,6s,6s plus. Nintendo fans will pick up their favourite.

3rd party support: I don't know what they will do, but if I were they, I'd try to bring big multi AAA games like EA Sports, Minecraft, Lego, etc. I don't believe that Nintendo can go on with only their lineup + Japanese games + exclusive ones.

Online features: They will keep miiverse and we'll have to download VC games over again. I don't believe that NX will be ready to run all VC games that are out today. They won't pull this off. eShop and online gaming will be much better though, much more standard than it is today.

Controller: I don't know.

Physical game: I don't know if it'll be CD or cartridge, but I bet it's going to be the last generation with physical games. NX successor will be 100% digital only and something like 40% of NX releases will be digital only.

Specs: I don't know the details. But more powerful than PS4. No reason to be less in my opinion.

Last edited:

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I'm super late to the party (I've been reworking my theories on the NX these past couple months), but by some amazing feat we still know as little about the NX now as we did nearly two months ago.

What it is: Nintendo's next home console, the replacement of the Wii U.

Name: Something with Nintendo in it. Prior to the Wii brand all Nintendo home consoles had Nintendo in the name (even the GameCube was the Nintendo GameCube) and I think with them moving away from the Wii brand we will be getting back to that.

Release date: Friday, November 18th, 2016.

Price: $349 (or $399... my guess is it will depend on how Sony prices the PS4K--Nintendo will want to beat it). It is worth noting there will be no pack in game.

Specs: 8GB's of good RAM, a nice 8-core ARM CPU (A72-based?--power efficient, yet would still likely beat or match the PS4K), a GPU more powerful than the PS4, but relatively weaker than the PS4K, 500GB HDD. Uses the same custom discs as the Wii U (no Blu-ray support), but with dual layer. 4K support.

Controller: It will have a screen, but much like with motion controls and the GamePad it will more off to the side and not the focus. Rather it will simply be as part of the natural evolution of the controller. The screen will be smaller and will use free form technology to mold around the buttons and save space. Other than that it has a more classic form factor, all your standard buttons, sticks, as well as gyro sensors and a new addition to the controller. What that will be I'm betting is going to surprise us all.

First party launch games: Zelda U/NX, something for "everyone" (think Wii Sports/Nintendo Land), and maybe a new 3D Mario (I'm very iffy on this).

First party launch window games (launch-March 31st 2017): Super Smash Bros. 4(K) (SSB4 NX port), Pikmin 4, new IP, Mario Maker NX port, some big game I can't even imagine, and Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Retro's new game? the outrage would be beautiful)

Third Party Support: Pretty much all the third parties will be on board at launch. Expect a few more "unprecedented partnerships" and rushed ports of FIFA and Madden.

Handheld connectivity: This is where I have reworked my theories the most. I have toned it down a decent amount and do not think it will be as huge of a focus for Nintendo. The handheld will release around Summer/Fall 2017 and while we will see a number of games here and there (Smash, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing) featuring cross play and cross connectivity it will not be advertised as a big system seller for either the handheld or console, instead it will mainly just be advertised as a game feature. The handheld will still be able to do remote play and all of that though (and the home console the reverse).

System features: System wide chat, achievements (more on this later), Miiverse, eShop, another impressive browser (for a console), a UI that resembles the Wii U but with new twists (custom themes at launch please?), a return of screenshots and now footage capture (likely limited to 2-5 minutes or something because this is Nintendo), and of course all your usually streaming apps like Netflix and YouTube.

MyNintendo connectivity: The system will have achievements, but instead of just a usual and ultimately pointless Gamerscore or whatever you also get MyNintendo points (not a whole lot per achievement, but they will add up). The MyNintendo rewards will likely only work with Nintendo Published titles.

"Gimmick"/"Hook": I have no idea what it will be, or if it will be part of the controller or system itself, but I am willing to (avatar) bet there will be some sort of hook and that it will surprise us all.

Reveal: The hardware will be revealed on a live stage mid-May (11th?). This event will be similar to those the PS4 and X1 had in February and May of 2013 respectively. Only 2-3 games will be shown, it's main goal will be to help build hype and talk going in to E3 and to clear E3 up to focus exclusively on games and price.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm personally expecting the NX to be a family, like Iwata said, with a home console and a handheld. I expect a decent amount of titles to be shared between the two, such as Smash, Kart, Animal Crossing, etc. due to them sharing more similar architecture and so Nintendo doesn't have to make two different versions of all of their games. However, for games that are too demanding for a handheld or for games that make usage of a specific "gimmick", they'll be exclusive to their respective platforms. The home console will probably retail for $300 with PS4-level hardware (Not hard to do as the PS4 wasn't even a beast when it came out). The handheld will have a 540p screen (They can't have the handheld use too much power otherwise the battery life will suffer), superior hardware to the Wii-U in some areas (Probably RAM or something) and inferior hardware in most others (GPU, CPU, etc.), due to it being a smaller electronic with no fan to keep things cool, but still more capable than the Vita and 3DS with an asking price of $200. Both will include some kind of "gimmick", the former because Nintendo's home consoles need to stand out from their competitors, as several of their home consoles have shown, and the latter because handhelds have lost of marketshare to other mobile devices. Launch-wise, I'm expecting a typical console launch with one or two heavy hitters in the launch window (Zelda U for the NX console and maybe a port of Sun & Moon for the NX handheld)

I'd say this is all reasonable

As for third-party support, I can see the NX home console having better support than the GameCube, especially with how most games are multiplatform these days, provided that they don't use alien hardware, but it definitely won't compare to the PS4/XB1's support. The handheld should have 3DS-level support overall, maybe a bit less or more, seeing as Sony probably won't make a Vita successor and handhelds have lost a lot of market share this gen

A year wiser and laptop still in shambles.
Whats that? A cheap replacement laptop with the same specs? No upgrade? Well, I guess it'll have to do.

A day after some rather explosive news, Nintendo NX remains a mystery, mostly. Sure, some things can be inferred but I will not let that sway my prediction.

It's taken quite the internal battle to come to a clear conclusion, Gurren Lagann: The Lights in the Sky are Stars levels. I'm going to have to stick with my guns, most of them at least.

Total graphics machine, overpowering PS4 (and Neo since that jump doesnt seem so hard to reach). Ethernet Port. Optical audio. Sensor Bar port that will not be used.
I dont know all the tech stuff, but its gonna be a beast, my client, Brock Lesnar, the reigning, defending, champion, conqueror of the streak....

So no hybrid, I think I'll subscribe to the Nintendo OS/Family of Systems idea, although I think handhelds should be phased out at some point in lieu of mobile games. We're getting a console first, a handheld should come later, will be the afterthought this time around, all focus on the Home NX.

Whats the gimmick then? The big "do not steal" idea? Well, there's two. For one, we're taking things back back back on top of the world. Cartridges, to eliminate the terrible load times and out-of-the-box waits of other current-gen consoles. These things are gonna look awesome.
Next big deal is holographic memory. Yes, big, fast memory for downloading your games and apps. Completely new gen.
Honestly, its tough to really know what the hook is. This is why I'm so troubled by the hybrid idea, because that seems like a reasonable hook, but I hope Nintendo surprises here.

I feel like there will be some modular element to the console too, I'd like to think the cloud processing server thing has some merit but I dont think Nintendo has the servers. Hell, even Microsoft doesnt have the servers. Something though.

Controller will be a refined gamepad: better ergonomics, roller-wheel bumpers (this will change gaming!), real triggers, gyros everywhere, battery life unlimited, maybe a smaller screen but higher-res. Its gonna feel good. I have been toying with the thought that, in order to appeal to the shitty 3rd parties, that the console either be bundled with a non-screen controller or have the screen detachable. I think people should just sack up and learn to love the screen, but thats just me.

400$ at launch. Won't be a tough sell, by then Trump will be POTUS and we will all be living much more wealthy lives.

Games:
Zelda NX
Mario 3D Galaxy
Mario Kart 9
Nintendo Land 2
Excite Truckbots
Hyrule Warriors 2 or Legends port
Pikmin 4
Spla2n
Retro Studios Souls
Super Mario Maker port
Monster Hunter 5
Capcom vs Nintendo
Super Mario Wrestling
Dragon Quest 11
Final Fantasy 15
Some other japanese games
Some other exclusives
I dont think Western 3rd parties are going to be on board immediately. Maybe if NX takes off, but not before.
Except Ubisoft, they will be there.

Either way, this launch lineup will be huge.

Oh, Animal Crossing will be a launch title of sorts as well. Its gonna be part of the UI of the console, easily connecting with the Animal Crossing app and charmingly holding all of the system features and games alongside being cute Animal Crossing fun.

VC will no longer exist. Well, you can still buy games but they will push you towards a subscription service.

I'm pooped, I have more thoughts but I've already laid out enough pipe for my dreams.

oh, there will be at least 1000 friend slots, if not just unlimited, available to fill. This is just bases solely on Miitomo numbers, if you want to add 1000 friends there I think Nintendo would like you to transfer those over to their game consoles.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Here are my final thoughts right now:

-Will use a revised and improved version of the Gamepad that is both smaller and lighter, but with more streaming tech that allows full remote play wherever you go. This is part of the "hybrid" portion of the system, even though it's still a full-fledged console

-Hardware wise will be at around the level of the NEO, possibly a bit more powerful.

-Gamepad touch-screen is now detachable rather than built into the controller, which allows two things: Conventional couch gaming is still the norm, but games are designed for both conventional means and dual-screen gaming mind. It is up to the player if he/she wants to utilize it. This negates having to buy two controllers, which keeps costs down.

-The Supplemental Computing Device will be coming out after the NX because the SCD will in fact be the NX handheld, and not some separate device. The SCD can be used for things such as cloud computing, giving games a slight boost in graphics if the developers choose to. It can also be used for MyNintendo perks such as discounts in games and coins for "charity." In other words, donating your computing power for other things. There are many other possibilities though

-Launch games will include, but not limited to: Zelda, Pikmin 4, Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy 3, and others. Games for the rest of year 1 will include remasters of select Wii U titles, FFXV, Dragon Quest, a slew of AAA 3rd party titles from Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Square-Enix, and others.

-Cost will be $300-350US like the Wii U price point

And now I'm toolazy to post anything else, but that's my gist for now.

Whats the gimmick then? The big "do not steal" idea? Well, there's two. For one, we're taking things back back back on top of the world. Cartridges, to eliminate the terrible load times and out-of-the-box waits of other current-gen consoles. These things are gonna look awesome.

Games:
Mario 3D Galaxy
Mario Kart 9
Spla2n
Retro Studios Souls
Except Ubisoft, they will be there.
only things I was right and "eeeh ok thats a reach but ok" on.
To be fair to myself, I switched to the hybrid bandwagon pretty shortly after this post, and was full speed leading into the Eurogamer rumors.

I still think 400 price point is likely, as well as 1000 friends list.

Home console you can take on a go like a handheld.
Although yeah considering the dock has no power (though its speculated that the dock allows for some overclock mode), even if we reverse it, a handheld you can dock at home like a home console, its still a hybrid.
Lets go a bit further, you can also use the handheld itself like a home device, by removing the joy-cons and using it as a TV screen like a home console or by using it in its makeshift couch co-op mode.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't understand, what's the requirement for a system to be a "true home system"? One of these?

The NS works the same way any old home console works, and plays games on your big TV with a traditional Dual Analog controller. I don't see a single functional difference between it and the PS4, for example.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Well, I was fabulously wrong. No reverse Wii U streaming and a completely revised chipset. F-minus on my grade as a prognosticator. I should've gone into weather reporting instead.
I don't see a single functional difference between it and the PS4, for example.
Because there isn't one...so long as you leave it docked. In its dock, the only difference between Switch and PS4 or XBone is outright power headroom. Hell, it's like Nintendo was reading some of the comments here. "Well, if you want a 'traditional' console sitting next to your TV with a 'traditional' input method, we'll make it work that way, too." You could choose to never use the device's mobility, and end up with an even more "traditional" console experience than the Wii U because you're sitting on your couch with this:

Not even a touch screen. Which is, for me, one of the bigger surprises here. Two-screen gaming looks to be dead.
how's it a hybrid?
...because of logic? Because picking it up out of the dock turns it into a portable device?

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I agree with @Odo that the NX is not a console, but at this point none of us are changing our definitions of what a console is.

Two-screen gaming looks to be dead.
Hallelujah. Granted, as a handheld I somewhat lament the death of two screen gaming (Albeit mainly for cock blocking any chances of 3DS/DS support); On the home-living room side of things, the death of two-screen gaming is a huge load off my mind. No more shoehorned two screen gimmicks getting in the way of otherwise well designed games interfaces. (Granted, two-screen gaming was occasionally implemented well, I just found that it got in the way far far more often than it actuality helped.)

Goodtwin

I'm going with the recent hybrid setup rumor. I have envisioned that as a logical direction for Nintendo to go, and believe it can work. They have the low latency streaming tech dialed in so having it work seamlessly on the tv is no issue.

Spec wise I think it will have a 700 Gflop gpu, the new ARM cpu function a similar to x86, probably 8 cores. I'm guessing 4GB of HBM memory. On paper, it will look weaker than X1, but thanks to the more modern components, they will get better performance per flop.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts

Holy shit, I think I was pretty close.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So my original prediction above I know to be wrong, but I did modify it on the NX Discussion thread back in September:

My thoughts on the NX are currently this:

-Hybrid device with detachable controllers that include haptic feedback, and scrollable triggers
-5-6inch screen (touch?) with a 720p resolution
-Hardware is comprised of a modified ARM-based System on Chip, likely nVidia's Tegra processor
-The NX dock not only allows for TV screen gaming, but also houses additional hardware to scale games up to 1080p, and other effects might be added
-In terms of social interactions, the NX will work similarly to the 3DS in that NX systems on the go can communicate with each other, and exchange information such as what games you've played, accomplishments, and many other things.
-Nintendo uses an in-platform currency using the famous Mario coins which are tied to your account. These coins are collected by such things as playing games, socially connecting with others across the world, and can be used as discounts for games, Amiibo, DLC, etc. Coins can also be gifted to other friends or strangers.
-The official NX app for mobile devices allows all the same type of interactions and communications as the NX, but cannot play NX games. The NX app however connects with all official Nintendo apps such as Pokemon GO, and Super Mario Run in some fashion
-???
-NX announcement happening on September 23rd
-Price will be set between $250-300 US
-Nintendo officially unveils the new Virtual Console system service which will act like a Netflix subscription. Pay a monthly fee, and you can play any Virtual Console, and as many as you want. This will be exclusive to the NX platform, and not be possible on the NX app.
-Launch date of NX system is March 3, 2017 with Zelda: Breath of the Wild as one of the many Nintendo launch titles. BotW exclusive Amiibo will launch the day after on March 4th
Based on my more recent prediction, I am right about it being a hybrid device, using ARM from Tegra, and a 5-6in screen. Now, I am wrong about the scrollable triggers, and most likely wrong about haptic feedback as well. Nintendo did say the dock houses no additional hardware, so I am probably half-right, given that we know there's this vent, which has the possibility of having two different hardware configurations based on if it's docked or in portable mode.

I was wrong about the reveal date as well, but as far as the social stuff, a Switch App for mobile devices, the price, release date, launch titles, MyNintendo integration, that all remains to be seen. I'm keeping rest of my predictions as is. I do think the price will be in that 250-300 range, which based on the nVidia Shield Portable's launch price back in 2013 of $349US, that does seem like a possibility.

Now, back when the NSP first launched, it housed a Tegra 4 processor, which won't run circles over much now, but it was at the time more powerful than almost anything that smartphones had. From what I can gather quickly, performance puts it I'd say between the PS2 and PS3 level of graphics, which isn't too bad for a mobile device. In 2016 though, surpassing PS360 levels of performance is practically a guarantee with a Tegra X1, or even the Tegra Parker.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
- I am a 2017 NX believer.

*- I think NX will be a "family of consoles with handheld / home console".

- I think Nintendo will go with a cartridge based medium with a twist. They will only build one game, but depending on which you plug that game into it will read the game as handheld or home console.

- I think Nintendo is gonna market NX as the "secondary console" for all homes. And leave MS/PS to fight it out at the top.

- These are the launch titles I think will be there.
1. Splatooner2
2. Monster hunter 5
3. LoZ
4. Mario platformer.

- And this is my wildcard slot. This is the slot were it can nail a ton of people and we're all shocked. So this spot is reserved for games such as Wii Sports, Mario Maker, Animal crossing. Something of this nature at launch is a must.

- I believe that Nintendo comes in very aggressive with price point and models. I think you will be able to choose to buy a handheld or home console separate. Or that a deluxe version with both will be sold at an aggressive price point.

- I think NX will easily "speak" to other devices you may have. Phone / tablet / laptop / TV I think it's gonna be very connectable.

- First party and third party alike will be there. But it will be more unique titles not just "all of EA sports games". More in lines with games like SPLATOON from Nintendo, and W101 from platinum. That's the type of support I mean.

EDIT: - I don't think it will be much more powerful than a PS4. I predict some are gonna view it as "weak hardware". Any bump in power is fine by Nintendo. But they tend to keep power to a min to save money on selling the hardware. That's why I think I could be viewed as underpowered.

ANSWERS START HERE!!!!!
- Correct (#team2017)

*- Correct it is a handheld home console.

- Correct and correct and wrong. #teamcart, also they will only build one game. Wrong on it will go in the console or handheld. It's crazy but the handheld part of Switch is the console. Anyhow i got the last part wrong.

- Wrong, and correct. Wrong in the fact they are not marketing this as the 2nd console. Switch is goin for its own big market. Correct as far as Nintendo leaving MS and PS to fight it out.

- Launch titles based just on what we saw in the Trailor.
1. Splatoon - correct
2. MH5 - not in Trailor
3. LoZ - correct
4. Mario Platformer - correct
5. Wildcard slot - not in Trailor

- Yet to be seen price points and models.

- Yet to be seen if it will talk to other devices. I will now say I'm gonna be wrong about this one. The Switch will "talk" no problem with Switch. Other devices look like they will not connect. As of now I will say I'm wrong on this.

- Correct 1st and 3rd party are there on the trailer and that list of partners atleast for now looks promising.

- Correct I have seen certain people say it's gonna be right under X1 or inbetween it and the WiiU on power. I totally expected this.

EDIT: * indicates that my intent to explain Switch in my prediction could be looked at as a wrong instead of a correct depending on what a family of consoles is.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I think NX will be a "family of consoles with handheld / home console".

I said this ^. And Switch is a family with handheld / home console. When I made this statement I was thinkin along the lines of Switch that's why I counted it correct. @FriedShoes you think I should put an * beside it? Like the Pats should have to for there "deflateGate" scandal?

I think NX will be a "family of consoles with handheld / home console".

I said this ^. And Switch is a family with handheld / home console. When I made this statement I was thinkin along the lines of Switch that's why I counted it correct. @FriedShoes you think I should put an * beside it? Like the Pats should have to for there "deflateGate" scandal?
Yes, please, because its wrong.
When people like @Shoulder say "family of consoles" they dont mean a hybrid device like the Switch, they're talking about standalone devices that share common architecture and OS. Think of the iPad, iPhone and iPod, this is a family of devices.

This confusion does raise a point that could be discussed further. From what it sounds like, you see the Switch as two consoles bundled in a box. If so, Nintendo's done their job, but it really is just one functional console, the screen unit, that has the ability to take one 2 forms like a Transformer, essentially 1 hybrid console.
Thats how I see it at least, and how I think most others do.

Odo

If it doesn't have processing inside the dock, it's not hybrid.

It's a tablet that mirrors to the TV. My iPad does that.

It's a handheld console. If 3Ds had a dock that could make their screen mirror to the TV it wouldn't make 3Ds hybrid.

Odo

I don't understand, what's the requirement for a system to be a "true home system"? One of these?

The NS works the same way any old home console works, and plays games on your big TV with a traditional Dual Analog controller. I don't see a single functional difference between it and the PS4, for example.
I can buy a pro controller for my iPad and play it on the TV. So there's no difference between an iPad and a PS4. The same for the Nvidia shield.

a mobile device who mirrors to TV doesn't make it hybrid. Lots of devices do the same: tablets, PC, laptops, phones, PSVita TV, etc.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If it doesn't have processing inside the dock, it's not hybrid.

It's a tablet that mirrors to the TV. My iPad does that.

It's a handheld console. If 3Ds had a dock that could make their screen mirror to the TV it wouldn't make 3Ds hybrid.
Any other sophistry you'd like to add to this list? Most people here weren't saying there would be additional power in a docking station (it was an option some had mentioned here and there). Plus, I don't know of anyone who was thinking "hybrid" as in like a Prius car (powered by gas or electric); people were saying hybrid as a cross between a handheld's portability and a home device's power to look good on a TV. Throughout the NX waiting thread, having a tablet-y controller that streamed to the TV was one of the main ideas bandied about for it being a hybrid. And of course that idea has antecedents (as does the removable controllers idea). The 3DS streaming to a TV would've been nice (and I totally wanted that for MH4U, believe me), but it wasn't going to be capable of playing Nintendo's current-gen home console games without some significant changes to the games; the tech simply wasn't there to do it well and do it affordably. Now it is, and now you'll be playing the present home console Zelda in a device that can go anywhere. Feel free to make up whatever definition for "true hybrid" that is presently convenient to you, but a device that is mobile and still plays Nintendo's home console games is exactly what I thought a hybrid would be (if not in the particulars of the CPU/GPU and native screen resolution, I concede).

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can buy a pro controller for my iPad and play it on the TV. So there's no difference between an iPad and a PS4. The same for the Nvidia shield.

a mobile device who mirrors to TV doesn't make it hybrid. Lots of devices do the same: tablets, PC, laptops, phones, PSVita TV, etc.
So what is it that the NS is lacking that keeps it from being a true home console? Yes, it's true that it's a different kind of system. But where I stand, that is because it does more. In my eyes, the NS is both a true home console and a true portable.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So what is it that the NS is lacking that keeps it from being a true home console? Yes, it's true that it's a different kind of system. But where I stand, that is because it does more. In my eyes, the NS is both a true home console and a true portable.
which, btw, and by definition, also makes it a TRUE hybrid

also I want to reiterate something that people tend to gloss over a lot... there is a difference between just a portable that can display on TV, and what the Switch is doing

1. the games are designed from the beginning to be optimized to look good on both screen types, not just graphics, but menus
2. it delivers single device multiplayer... this one seems to be almost entirely ignored in the is it a hybrid debate, but is a deciding factor for me

you can argue it isn't a TRUE hybrid all youw ant but that is just a no true Scotsman falacy... utter drivel

the idea that what makes it a hybrid is what makes a car a hybrid is hilarious.. the word hybrid existed long before the type of car... and for the type of car its only meaning is that it is both an electric car and a gas car... just as the switch is both a handheld and a console

what is the difference between a handheld and a console... if you say power than I guess the wii and wii u were not consoles eh? and all old consoles cease to be consoles when new ones come out... that would be a stupid definition of a hardware type, and no rational person subscribes to it

a handheld gaming device is a self contained fully portable game system.... the Switch checks that box... you can take the whole system on the go with no additional parts, wires, no additional screen.. a single unit held in your hand (and don't cite the joycons as making it not a singular unit, as doing so would imply we have never had a handheld device, as the games have always been separate, in the old days, sow ere batteries... that would just be another, and far worse, no true scotsman falacy

a console gaming device is a system with an external controller/controllers that attaches to your TV.. PERIOD.. arguing it is anything other than that is just stupid... and the Switch hits every part of that definition

the definition of hybrid as we have used it to describe what the NX could be for 3 years now is
"a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture." if a console and a handheld are 2 different devices, and the Switch is a combination of those 2 categories... IT IS... then the Switch is a f'n hybrid

can we just get past this Odo? you have been on the other side of the hybrid debate since you joined us here... and you become thwarted at every turn

first you said it would be impossible for the tech to be a step up (or not a step down) from the wii u and ps3/360.... wrong

then you argued the other aspects of a console experience, like multiplayer not working... wrong

now you are trying to change the very definition of 3 separate words

you took such a hard negative stance on the hybrid before you even understood what we meant when we used the term... and you have found 1 stubborn reason or another to stick to it... you even became frustrated by nintendo's direction while still denying that would be their direction... to the point that you made posts about leaving here, not talking about NX anymore and going to different systems for your gaming needs

this is all f'n stubbornness...

we don't require you to admit you were wrong.. but just drop the protest, it has gotten silly and incoherent

the Switch is a portable device... FACT
the Switch is a home console... FACT
By being both a portable device and a home console, the Switch is a hybrid gaming system... FACT

there is no grey area, no room for debate... this is just silly, no matter how much you want to have been right all of those years ago, it wont rewrite reality to meet your changing definition of 3 words

it is OVER

but you have a quick out...

you can just change from denying what the switch is in the face of all evidence by simply declaring that you don't LIKE what it is... and that is fine.. nobody will say you are wrong in that perspective.. it is your personal preference, we may disagree with you about whether or not what they are doing is good or bad... but we wont argue that you are wrong when you say you personally don't like it...

so can we just move on from surreal reality denial please?

it is over...

the NX is the Switch, a hybrid system... the holocaust was real... Al Gore lost the 2000 presidential election... etc...

Odo

which, btw, and by definition, also makes it a TRUE hybrid

also I want to reiterate something that people tend to gloss over a lot... there is a difference between just a portable that can display on TV, and what the Switch is doing

1. the games are designed from the beginning to be optimized to look good on both screen types, not just graphics, but menus
2. it delivers single device multiplayer... this one seems to be almost entirely ignored in the is it a hybrid debate, but is a deciding factor for me

you can argue it isn't a TRUE hybrid all youw ant but that is just a no true Scotsman falacy... utter drivel

the idea that what makes it a hybrid is what makes a car a hybrid is hilarious.. the word hybrid existed long before the type of car... and for the type of car its only meaning is that it is both an electric car and a gas car... just as the switch is both a handheld and a console

what is the difference between a handheld and a console... if you say power than I guess the wii and wii u were not consoles eh? and all old consoles cease to be consoles when new ones come out... that would be a stupid definition of a hardware type, and no rational person subscribes to it

a handheld gaming device is a self contained fully portable game system.... the Switch checks that box... you can take the whole system on the go with no additional parts, wires, no additional screen.. a single unit held in your hand (and don't cite the joycons as making it not a singular unit, as doing so would imply we have never had a handheld device, as the games have always been separate, in the old days, sow ere batteries... that would just be another, and far worse, no true scotsman falacy

a console gaming device is a system with an external controller/controllers that attaches to your TV.. PERIOD.. arguing it is anything other than that is just stupid... and the Switch hits every part of that definition

the definition of hybrid as we have used it to describe what the NX could be for 3 years now is
"a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture." if a console and a handheld are 2 different devices, and the Switch is a combination of those 2 categories... IT IS... then the Switch is a f'n hybrid

can we just get past this Odo? you have been on the other side of the hybrid debate since you joined us here... and you become thwarted at every turn

first you said it would be impossible for the tech to be a step up (or not a step down) from the wii u and ps3/360.... wrong

then you argued the other aspects of a console experience, like multiplayer not working... wrong

now you are trying to change the very definition of 3 separate words

you took such a hard negative stance on the hybrid before you even understood what we meant when we used the term... and you have found 1 stubborn reason or another to stick to it... you even became frustrated by nintendo's direction while still denying that would be their direction... to the point that you made posts about leaving here, not talking about NX anymore and going to different systems for your gaming needs

this is all f'n stubbornness...

we don't require you to admit you were wrong.. but just drop the protest, it has gotten silly and incoherent

the Switch is a portable device... FACT
the Switch is a home console... FACT
By being both a portable device and a home console, the Switch is a hybrid gaming system... FACT

there is no grey area, no room for debate... this is just silly, no matter how much you want to have been right all of those years ago, it wont rewrite reality to meet your changing definition of 3 words

it is OVER

but you have a quick out...

you can just change from denying what the switch is in the face of all evidence by simply declaring that you don't LIKE what it is... and that is fine.. nobody will say you are wrong in that perspective.. it is your personal preference, we may disagree with you about whether or not what they are doing is good or bad... but we wont argue that you are wrong when you say you personally don't like it...

so can we just move on from surreal reality denial please?

it is over...

the NX is the Switch, a hybrid system... the holocaust was real... Al Gore lost the 2000 presidential election... etc...
Wow.

For me it's not hybrid. It's not my definition of hybrid. It's a tablet that mirrors to the TV.

I'm not committing any war crime, the #team-not-hybrid exists. Go look it up on google.

I respect your opinions and you need to respect mine.

I opened that thread about leaving the Nintendo boat because I had and felt like sharing it here. I could just left the forum but I didn't because I like the communit. Plus I asked for suggestions to what to play on other consoles. That thread was great.

I don't believe it's hybrid and I have the same concerns about NS that for example Shawn Long has and he's on TNE crew. What's the problem with my opinions?

Again, the idea of NS not been hybrid is out there and I don't care if you find it surrreal.

Actually, why did you take all this work to write all this ridiculous reply to me? Cmon, lol.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Wow.

For me it's not hybrid. It's not my definition of hybrid. It's a tablet that mirrors to the TV.

I'm not committing any war crime, the #team-not-hybrid exists. Go look it up on google.

I opened that thread about leaving the Nintendo boat because I had and felt like sharing it here. I could just left the forum but I didn't because I like the communit. Plus I asked for suggestions to what to play on other consoles. That thread was great.

I don't believe it's hybrid and I have the same concerns about NS that for example Shawn Long has and he's on TNE crew. What's the problem with my opinions?

Again, the idea of NS not been hybrid is out there and I don't care if you find it surrreal.

Actually, why did you take all this work to write all this ridiculous reply to me? Cmon, lol.
Shawn Long does not express or represent all thinkings of TNE.

That is all he does not approve this message.

Wow.

What is a hybrid then, does such a thing exist in your mind? You mentioned that the dock portion would need some internals for this to be a hybrid. I mean even if that were the case, I fail to see how that differs much from what the Switch is now.

Odo

I'm just saying that there are people out there that have concerns about NS, including Shawn Long. I'm saying this to him because mighty is calling me conspiracy theorist and being rude for no reason just because I said that it's not hybrid.

I'm not using Shawn Long to support my opinions. As far as I kown he didn't said it's not hybrid, but he as well as many people out there are sharing concerns about the NS.

I don't even have many concerns about it, it just doesn't fit my hybrid description. As I said before, for me, if it's just a tablet that mirror the game to the TV once it's on the dock, that's exactly it: a mobile unit that mirror the screen to the TV.

Calling Swithc hybrid is the same as calling Zelda an open air adventure or whatever that is.

A hybrid would require processing in both units, the mobile unit and the home unit. Meaning that the console would process the game in the home unit like a home console and once you leave home it would use the mobile chip to provide handheld experience. That would mean the best experience for both of the worlds: (1) a handheld experience consuming less power and offering more battery time and (2) a console experience where the mobile chip isn't the ceiling of the home processing power, among other things (please don't judge my idea just on those two examples right now ).

Anyway, the Switch solution as tablet who mirrors the game using that dock is elegant, I'm not denying that, but I still see it just as a Nvidia Shield done right. That's it. The Nintendo Nvidia Shield. I don't see all this hybrid revolution.

I mean if you plan on expanding those ideas later I wont judge yet.
"The hybrid revolution" is purely a Nintendo fan thing, because the reason we would be excited for that prospect is the idea of a unified library. And yeah, its being handled slickly and elegantly according to the trailer, which is nice, wont set the world on fire but its a cool feature. "Holy shit Skyrim on the go" is something I heard exclaimed a lot watching reaction videos the last few days so theres something to the concept.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I guess if we're talkin about how we personally "define" Switch really your gonna get different answers from many people.

I think it's a family of consoles rolled into one. You can do a multitude of things with this being like a family of consoles, yet it's all tied up in one devise. It's really quite amazing in that aspect.

For me tho does that make this a hybrid? Does it make it a handheld? Does it make it a console? The first thing they showed on the trailor was a dude my age playing Zelda in his home on the big screen. I'm gonna do this, I am that guy. For me the Switch is Nintendos next console. No hybrid, no handheld, for me it's just there next consoles after WiiU making it there 7th console in the mainline. I think that's where it falls for Nintendo aswell.

Now this Dosent mean someone can have there qualms with my definement of what the Switch is for me. It's gonna be a handheld for some, a hybrid for others, or the next Nintendo console for those like myself.