Your Unique Gaming Identity, From Childhood Until Today

Menashe

You know how on LinkedIn you have a unique business or professional profile that with a brief glance can tell a visitor what you're all about? From elementary school, volunteer jobs, early jobs, all the way up to where you're currently holding? In the same way, I believe we ALL have a unique gaming identity which I hope the new Enthusiast website will be able to portray in a profile. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what makes gamers who they are today as a gamer. So, I've been having fun trying out a questionnaire I made to try and build up people's unique gaming identities. So, if you don't mind, please fill out the following (and you can see mine right after.)

Gen 1 - 1972– (e.g. Odyssey, Telstar, Any of the Pong consoles)
- What systems did you own, if any?
- Name up to 3 games this gen that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

Gen 2 - 1976– (e.g. Atari 2600/5200,Astrocade, Magnavox Odyssey, Intellivision, ColecoVision)
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

Gen 3 - 1983– (NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, Commodore 64)
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

Gen 4 - 1987– (SNES, Sega Genesis)

Gen 5 - 1993– (N64, PlayStation, Sega Saturn)

Gen 6 - 1998– (GCN, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast)

Gen 7 - 2005– (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360)

Gen 8 - 2012– (Wii U, PS4, Xbox One)

Handhelds (Nintendo Game & Watch, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Game Boy Color, Virtual Boy, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PSP, PS Vita)
- Name up to 3 handheld games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

PC Gaming (MS DOS, Windows 1-3, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7,8,10, Linux, Apple, Mac)
- Name up to 5 PC games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

Mobile
- Are you an iOS person or Android owner, or both, or none?
- Name up to 3 mobile games that you enjoyed most

Arcade
- Did you play a lot of Arcade games when they were at the height of their popularity?
- Name up to 3 arcade games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)

Genres
- What are your top 3 gaming genres?

Favorite Games
- What are your top 5 games of all time?

Social
- What social media, websites or apps do you use or visit most frequently for gaming news, gaming culture, or connecting with other gamers? (4chan, Reddit, Facebook, IGN, Polygon, Twitter, Instagram, Twitch, Youtube, etc)

Creative Expression
- Which outlet/s do you use to express or share your passion of gaming? (Making Youtube videos, Streaming on Twitch, Writing on Message Boards, Blogging, Programming Fan Games, VGM Remixes, Gaming Fan-Art, Gaming Memes, Cosplay, Participating in Tournaments, Attending Events, etc)

Competitive Gaming
- Do you consider yourself a competitive gamer?
- Do you compete for fun with friends or in serious competitive matches or ranked matches?
- Do you consider yourself an amateur competitor, semi-pro, or pro?
- Which competitive games did you focus on most in the past and now?

Menashe

Gen 1 - 1972–
- n/a

Gen 2 - 1976–
- n/a

Gen 3 - 1983–
- cousins owned an NES
1. Super Mario Bros 2
2. Mega Man 2
3. Super Mario Bros 3

Gen 4 - 1987–
- SNES
1. Super Mario World
2. Earthbound
3. Earthworm Jim

Gen 5 - 1993–
- N64
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Star Fox 64

Gen 6 - 1998–
GCN
1. Metroid Prime
2. Wind Waker
3. Eternal Darkness

Gen 7 - 2005–
1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Last Story

Gen 8 - 2012–
Wii U
1. Captain Toad
2. Wind Waker HD
3. Super Mario 3D World

Handhelds
GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS
1. Link's Awakening
2. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
3. Pokemon

PC Gaming
All Windows, Apple II
1. Grim Fandango
2. Dark Souls
3. Bioshock
4. Red Alert
5. Planescape: Torment

Mobile
Android
1. AdVenture Capitalist
2. Punch Quest
3. Pyramid Solitaire Saga

Arcade
- played a lot of Arcades
1. Mortal Kombat
2. Killer Instinct

Genres
1. RPG
2. Experimental Indie
3. Adventure

Favorite Games
1. Metroid Prime
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Dark Souls
4. Grim Fandango
5. Final Fantasy 7

Social
Reddit, Facebook, Youtube

Creative Expression
Writing/Blogging, Attending Events

Competitive Gaming
n/a

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
This is an ambitious line of questioning.
- Name up to 3 games this gen that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)
Nada, before my time.
Gen 2 - 1976– (e.g. Atari 2600/5200,Astrocade, Magnavox Odyssey, Intellivision, ColecoVision)
Also before my time, but I had a neighbor friend, and his dad a a 2600. Pong (Video Olympics), Galaxian, Asteroids...I watched more than played, though.
NES. Best Christmas gift ever. Super Mario Bros and LoZ (my brother got it for his birthday on vacation, away from the console, so all we could do was admire the gold cartridge) go without saying. I probably spent more time on Castlevania III than other games, but R.C. Pro Am and Ivan Ironman Stuart's Off Road were also in heavy rotation.
Genesis. Sonic 2, Aero the Acro-Bat, and DOOM (32X) were tops. Scared the ever loving crap out of myself playing DOOM.
Didn't own any. My ex had a PS, though, which I got to play in college. Driver and Driver 2 took up a hell of a lot of my time, but Intelligent Qube was one that really stands out. I was terrible at that game, but I played it a lot.
PS2. GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas were pretty much all I did later in college. Sure, I got back to Shadow of the Colossus and Gran Turismo 4, but the PS2 years were all about Grand Theft Auto for me.

I remember the first time I watched a friend play GTA3. It looked like the future. That's when I knew I had to have a PS2.
Wii. Nintendo finally pulled me back into the fold. LoZ: TP, Fragile Dreams, and Prime 3/Trilogy (hat tip to Other M, Wii Sports, Trauma Center, etc.) stand out at the moment.

Twilight Princess was the one, though. I was burnt out after so much GTA, and the PS3 was way out of my price range. I was ready to take a long, maybe permanent, break from gaming. But LoZ:TP hooked me. I'd play all night, then call in sick to work...and then play more Zelda instead of sleeping. I was addicted. It's probably the reason I didn't "grow up" from playing videogames. Also coincided with probably the happiest part of my life.

Also shout out to Wii's FPS. I went to work on two hours of sleep many time from staying up and playing COD4/Reflex, Black Ops, GoldenEye, Conduit, etc. I sunk more hours into FPS than anything else, probably. You'd think I'd be good at them by now.

[And, of course, Vanquish on PS3 needs a mention. Lucky to have friends with a PS3, so I got to play BioShock and Infinite, but Vanquish stands out as one hell of an experience.]
Wii U. MH3U, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon...and more to come.
Handhelds (Nintendo Game & Watch, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Game Boy Color, Virtual Boy, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PSP, PS Vita)
- Name up to 3 handheld games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)
I got my ex a GBA and a DS. Was gifted a 2DS.

On GBA - Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission (Fusion holds a lot of sentimental value)
On DS - GTA: Chinatown Wars, LoZ: Phanton Hourglass
On 2DS - LoZ:ALBW, MH4U, LoZ: Triforce Heroes
PC Gaming (MS DOS, Windows 1-3, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7,8,10, Linux, Apple, Mac)
- Name up to 5 PC games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)
Nada.
Mobile
Android. I've spent the most time with Puzzle & Dragons, and PewPew.
Arcade
- Did you play a lot of Arcade games when they were at the height of their popularity?
- Name up to 3 arcade games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories)
There was one arcade close to me, mid-90s. Played Ridge Racer every weekend, for what seemed like a long time.
Genres
I suppose it's action/adventure (a sufficiently vague term) up top, then everything else. Racing, FPS, RPG, whatever-the-hell-MonHun-is, etc. come after.
Favorite Games
Oof. That's a thread all its own.

-Super Metroid
-Metroid Prime
-GTA 3
-LoZ: TP
-flex (probably Vanquish or Fragile or something; depends on my mood)
Social
- What social media, websites or apps do you use or visit most frequently for gaming news, gaming culture, or connecting with other gamers? (4chan, Reddit, Facebook, IGN, Polygon, Twitter, Instagram, Twitch, Youtube, etc)
I'll occasionally peruse GoNintendo and Gamasutra, but for the most part, I just follow google news links.
Creative Expression
- Which outlet/s do you use to express or share your passion of gaming? (Making Youtube videos, Streaming on Twitch, Writing on Message Boards, Blogging, Programming Fan Games, VGM Remixes, Gaming Fan-Art, Gaming Memes, Cosplay, Participating in Tournaments, Attending Events, etc)
I'm here, so I think that answers that question.
Competitive Gaming
- Do you compete for fun with friends or in serious competitive matches or ranked matches?
-Not really.
-Fun, mostly.
-Below amateur.
-FPS, mostly.

- What systems did you own, if any? Nope
- Name up to 3 games this gen that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Uh, I played Pong in a museum once?

- What systems did you own, if any? Nope
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Nah

- What systems did you own, if any? Nothing
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Super Mario Brothers is my most played NES game...but through the Wii VC. Does that count? Not really anything else to say here.

- What systems did you own, if any? I had a Mega Drive (What a Genesis was called over here) when I was very young.
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Sonic 3 and Knuckles, playing with my mum as she was Sonic and I was Tails...very vague memories but still. Mortal Kombat 3 I used to play around a friends. That's about all I can remember really to be honest.

- What systems did you own, if any? I owned 64 (still have today) and Playstation. Maybe a Saturn too but can't remember.
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Star Fox 64 is my favourite game of all time......Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 are the next two biggest impacts on me for sure among many others.

- What systems did you own, if any? I had Dreamcast, GCN and PS2. Recently came into possession of PS2 again.
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Sonic Adventure on DC, Melee on GCN, DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 on PS2....those were the ones I played the most on their respective systems probably.

- What systems did you own, if any? I have Wii and 360
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Halo Reach....

- What systems did you own, if any? Wii U and Xbone
- Name up to 3 games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Smash Wii U, ZombiU, NintendoLand...only owned a Xbone for about a week now and only have Halo 5 so doesn't seem fair to say that.

- What systems did you own, if any? In my house I have GB, GBC, GBA (somewhere), (a half broken) DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL.
- Name up to 3 handheld games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) Sonic Advance I played a ton of back then..... SMB3 on GBA.....Super Mario 64 DS.....seems unfair to limit all handhelds to this one section.

- What systems did you own, if any? I currently have a 8, had a Vista or XP years ago probably. Just have a Acer Aspire e 15 laptop right now.
- Name up to 5 PC games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) I don't do much PC gaming....hell its only really been the last year I've done stuff on Steam. Portal 2 is my highlight, one of the best games I've played. Worms.....uhh...and my Steam backlog?

Mobile
- Are you an iOS person or Android owner, or both, or none? I have an iPod Touch, so that lol
- Name up to 3 mobile games that you enjoyed most Gravity Duck, Flow and QuizUp.

Arcade
- Did you play a lot of Arcade games when they were at the height of their popularity? I wasn't born in the 80's heh.
- Name up to 3 arcade games that left the biggest impact on you (either based on amount of playtime or fond memories) I have played in Arcades a lot, there's this place called Eastbourne I'd visit on the south coast of England and the pier there had an arcade....I'd play the racers, Ghost Recon, Time Crisis, air Hockey, etc..

Genres
- What are your top 3 gaming genres? Hmm, probably Platformers, Adventure and Shoot 'Em Ups I guess

Favorite Games
- What are your top 5 games of all time? Star Fox 64 is my all time favourite but in no particular order Wind Waker (HD), Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Dead Redemption, Halo: Reach...

Social
- What social media, websites or apps do you use or visit most frequently for gaming news, gaming culture, or connecting with other gamers? (4chan, Reddit, Facebook, IGN, Polygon, Twitter, Instagram, Twitch, Youtube, etc) IGN, YouTube, this place

Creative Expression
- Which outlet/s do you use to express or share your passion of gaming? (Making Youtube videos, Streaming on Twitch, Writing on Message Boards, Blogging, Programming Fan Games, VGM Remixes, Gaming Fan-Art, Gaming Memes, Cosplay, Participating in Tournaments, Attending Events, etc) I do make YouTube videos, but I suppose I mianly share my love of gaming on forums/message boards.

Competitive Gaming
- Do you consider yourself a competitive gamer? Not really but I do follow the Smash scene a bit.
- Do you compete for fun with friends or in serious competitive matches or ranked matches? More the former but both
- Do you consider yourself an amateur competitor, semi-pro, or pro? Amateur
- Which competitive games did you focus on most in the past and now? I used to be in a Mario Kart Wii clan like 6 years ago...but other than following competitive Smash a bit....nothing really.
Done!

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
- My brother had a Pong console that I played in the early 80s. At that age, I was still able to beat my father at Pong.

- We had an Intellivision
- I loved our Intellivision. Played the crap out of Lock 'n Chase, He-Man, Q*bert. My neighbor had a Coleco Vision, and I'd find a reason to go over and play his system. I remember the Intellivision had these joystick controls glued onto the disk control below, but ours broke off quickly, so we just used the circular disk to control it.

- My brother had the Commodore 64, and I had the NES
- For me, it was all about The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Super Mario Bros. 3. (With the Castlevania and MegaMan games close behind.)Those were the games of that system that I spent the most time with. I had close to 30 games by the time I sold the system.

- SNES
- I played this system like it was my job. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten A Link to the Past, start to finish, getting every item, every heart, etc. People used to call me when they were stuck, I would boot up my system and walk them through it. Super Mario World was just amazing to me. When I finally got all the hidden exits, including all the Special World, and you got to see the game with inverted colors, I was stunned and in awe. Another game I played a lot was ActRaiser. That game was everything. And of course, Super Metroid. Words cannot describe how much time I put into that game, over and over again.

- N64, PlayStation
- Everyone will mention it, but playing Super Mario 64 for the first time... that was a huge moment. It changed gaming. Then Ocarina of Time came along, and I was sure that gaming could not get any better than that. My friends used to come over to my house and play Golden Eye for hours. We never got tired of it. The first PlayStation game I played was Resident Evil. I remember turning off all the lights in my room, closing the curtains... first hallway upstairs when the dog jumps through the window, I screamed, threw the controller and decided lights on was a good idea.

- GCN
- For me, the games of the GameCube era that were biggest for me were Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime. Wind Waker made me smile, Eternal Darkness made me jump, and Metroid Prime was an epic experience where I was in control of the story.

- Wii, PS3
- The first game I bought for the Wii was Twilight Princess, and I proceeded to sink 52 hours into it quickly. Super Mario Galaxy changed Mario all over again. and Metroid Prime 3. Each one entertained me, challenged me, and just made me enjoy gaming so much.

- Wii U, PS4
- The Wonderful 101 was a game I didn't think I would like, then I fell in love quickly and was so sad when it was over. Between the gameplay, the dialogue, and the story, every part was perfect for me. Splatoon was another game that I thought wasn't for me because I don't play online, competitive games, but something about it's style and the nature of it clicked with me, and I learned I could be a Splatting Beast. Pikmin 3 has been my other favorite game this gen. The graphics are gorgeous, I cared about the Pikmin (I get very upset when one dies at the end of a day), and it just embodied everything I love about gaming - joy, challenge, fun.

- Game Boy, Game Gear, Game Boy Color, GBA, NDS, 3DS
- Being able to play Zelda on the go, especially one so like ALttP made handheld gaming come alive for me, so Link's Awakening always holds a special place for me. A Link Between Worlds brought back everything I loved about A Link to the Past and upped it to the next level. And the first New Super Mario Bros was like visiting an old friend who had gotten a makeover and made you remember what you loved about the original and enjoying all that had changed.

- Windows, Apple IIE
- The King's Quest games were my childhood. I've played them all, and to say I was obsessed may be an understatement. That was another "social" game, because if you got stuck, you called a friend, and they were like "Throw the bridle on the snake", something you may never have even considered. Also, there was a game called Quest for Camelot, I believe, that was like King's Quest, but dealt with King Arthur and all it's awesomeness.

Mobile
- IOS
- I've done the Words with Friends and Angry Birds, but haven't really gotten into Mobile Gaming.

Arcade
- I remember playing the original Donkey Kong and Ms. Pac-Man in the arcades, but the arcade game that I spent the most money on as a child was Rampage. Loved destroying everything and eating all the helpless citizens.

Genres
- Adventure/Action, Platforming, RPG

Favorite Games Series
- I changed it to game series because it would most likely have been me listing different Zelda games. 1) The Legend of Zelda, 2) King's Quest, 3) Metroid, 4) Super Mario Bros., 5)Final Fantasy

Social
- Facebook, IGN, Twitter

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Before my time

Before my time

Before my time

Before my time

I owned the N64 but I did want to get a PlayStation
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64

GameCube and PlayStation 2
Super Smash Bros Melee, Shadow of the Colossus, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Final Fantasy X

Wii and PlayStation 3
Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and inFAMOUS 2

Wii-U and PlayStation 4
Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros 4, and Shovel Knight

GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, DSLite, and 3DS
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Golden Sun

Not a PC gamer albeit I did spend time playing flash games

Mobile
Android
Clash of Clans, Badlands, QuizUp

Arcade
Nope :p

Genres
Adventure, Platformer, RPG

Favorite Games
It's hard for me to do my 5 favorite games of all time but I can definitely name my favorite game of all time; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Social
TNE, IGN (Previously), FaceBook, YouTube, MNN (Previously)

Creative Expression
I guess posting online about video games :p

Competitive Gaming
Nah
I'll do a bit of each
Amateur
Super Smash Bros

repomech

resident remnant robot relic

Nope. I guess I played a pong system once or twice.

Gen 3 - 1983–
(NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, Commodore 64)
Didn't own. Friend across the street. Cousins. Babysitter brought one over so I could play TLOZ when I had the chicken pox.

Super Mario Bros - series 1, 2 & 3 (fuck you, chose)
The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania

Gen 4 - 1987–
(SNES, Sega Genesis)
We had a SNES.

Fuck you, three.

Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana

Gen 5 - 1993–
(N64, PlayStation, Sega Saturn)
We had a PS1. Occasionally borrowed or rented an N64.

Symphony of the Night
Mario Kart 64
Ocarina of Time

Gen 6 - 1998–
(GCN, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast)
Had a PS2.

NBA 2K3
Dynasty Warriors 3
Okami

(shout out to Shadow of the Colossus)

Gen 7 - 2005–
(Wii, PS3, Xbox 360)

We have a Wii. Been playing them for years in killer multiplayer sessions (Rockband, Sports & New Super Mario Bros Wii). We also have a PS3 (still active).

Fuck you, three.

Wii Sports & Sports Resort
Rockband
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Monster Hunter Tri
Skyward Sword
Demon's Souls

Gen 8 - 2012–
(Wii U, PS4, Xbox One)
I'm strictly Wii U so far. This gen is still very much forming, but the local multiplayer with Mario Kart 8, Taiko no Tatsujin and Super Mario 3D World have been some of the best times I've had on any game system. I have similarly loved the online multiplayer sessions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Splatoon.

(Nintendo Game & Watch, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Game Boy Color, Virtual Boy, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PSP, PS Vita)
I had a (probably bootleg) Donkey Kong Game & Watch in the 80's. Also played my first GF's Gameboy a bit with Tetris and Castlevania. I beat Super Mario Bros 2 on what I later learned was a GBA. But I basically got on the handheld bandwagon with the 3DS.

Fuck you, three.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Monster Hunter (3&4)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Fire Emblem (Sacred Stones & Awakening)
Advance Wars (Days of Ruin, Dual Strike)
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Super Mario Bros 3D Land & MK 7
Picross (DS & e series)

(MS DOS, Windows 1-3, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7,8,10, Linux, Apple, Mac)
This list is constructed to favour console gaming histories over PC. Until recently they were two different worlds each as rich as the other.

So... Fuck you, five. :p

I got into adventure games back when they used text parsing, and I still feel that was superior to point and click.

King's Quest 4 (shout out to 3, 5 & 6)
Hero's Quest 2: Quest for Glory (shout out to 1)
The Conquests of Camelot
Tetris
Might & Magic 2
Silpheed
Loom
Mech Warrior 2 (shout out to 1)
Dark Legions
Warcraft 2 (shout out to 3)
Tie Fighter
Hind
Starcraft
Starcraft 2
X-Com
FTL

Shout-outs to Fallout 2, Wing Commander 2, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Civ 5, Vette, Sopwith, Plants vs. Zombies, etc.

Flirted but only recently have I really clicked with one fully: Hearthstone.

Puzzle & Dragons has become a regular though.

Ms. PACMAN
Double Dragon
Terminator 2
Street Fighter 2
Taiko no Tatsujin

That doesn't even begin to do it justice but it's a nice slice.

I have no idea anymore. I like strategy. I like platforming. I like RPG customization. I like rhythm. I like tactical action. I like exploring interesting worlds.

No.

At this time? Here.

Creative Expression
Real life local multiplayer and conversations.

Competitive Gaming
Sure.

For fun.

Amateur.

Fighters (mostly Capcom, SF 2 in particular), Strategy (mostly Blizzard, Starcraft 1 & 2 and Hearthstone in particular), Mario Kart (64, Wii, 7 & 8), Souls PvP (Demon's, Dark 1 & 2), Splatoon.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Gen 1 - 1972–N/A

- My parents owned an Atari and I have an Intellivision kicking around somewhere. I wasn't alive when it came out though.
- I have no idea. I just loved playing with the nifty controllers as a little kid!

- NES!
- Dragon Warrior, Crystalis, and Mendel's Palace.
I love the art direction in all of them but the stories in DW and Crystalis.

- SNES...but my Mom bought a Sega for herself.
- Street Fighter II, MegaMan X, Super Mario RPG.
All amazing games. I remember drawing SFII and Megaman characters constantly and sort of learned character development from them. Mario RPG was just awesome and really a great RPG.

- N64
- Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Harvest Moon 64 (runner up WCW/NWO Revenge).
Super Mario showed me what freedom felt like in a video game. Zelda was the ultimate masterpiece in epic storytelling. Harvest Moon 64 was the game I played when I was a depressed as a 6th grader through 8th grade. I would get lost in that world because I was an angsty tweeny bopper.

- GCN
- Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Killer 7.
ED was an amazing concept and I worked to buy a surround sound system just to experience the game that way. Tales of Symphonia was the last good RPG I would play for a long time that was actually epic in scale that didn't feel like a random story. Killer 7 showed that games could be art even if it was a bit on the sadistic side.

-Wii
- Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy.
Xenoblade was the unexpected hit of the Wii. I bought it on a whim from ebay without really knowing what it was about other than people on TNE saying it was good. They...were...so...right. Wii Sports was a paradigm shift in gaming that I enjoyed thoroughly. Super Mario Galaxy was simply an amazing aesthetic journey that was a good world to get lost in.

- Wii U
- Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U. I chose these three because they really opened me up to online gaming.
I normally don't game with other people but would rather get lost in a world that tells the story of a people (epic.) Even though the system is criticized for its lack of online features, I was able to get over that with TNE. This website had many great alternatives and has gotten me much more into gaming as a whole. I'm hoping Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda U will replace some of those on this list in the future though.

- Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, new Nintendo 3DS, Game Gear
- Golden Sun, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the one everyone hated), Pokemon Blue.
Golden Sun was one of the best RPG's and somehow came in this tiny package. TMNT was a game I bought at a garage sale as a kid of GB and played it even though I died everytime I ran into those stupid electric...everything. Everything in that game f'n hurt you! Pokemon Blue was a great game as a 7th and 8th grader to play. I made soooooo much money drawing Pikachu's for people it was stupid. $$$

- MS DOS, Windows 3, 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, 10
- Leisure Suit Larry, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Toribash.
Leisure Suit Larry was just plain stupid and I was able to answer the questions to see how old you were as a kid. I saw pixelated bewbs. That's about it.
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego was a great game for a nerd like me who would read encyclopedias for fun...
Fallout 3 was my first real introduction into massive open-world RPG's and I freakin' loved it.
Skyrim was another great addition. I would just randomly walk around and find things to do. I was having a rough time as an educator and this was my solace (other than my wife.) It was one of the things that kept me from being stressed out all the time.
Toribash is a game that is kind of like a combination of a physics based fighting game, paper/rock/scissors, a turn based rpg, and 3d chess. It is the only game I've been actually world ranked at. I managed to be the best in the world the summer before last in the Ninjutsu mode. I've sunk away too much time in the game and originally played it because there are long lines to wait in-between turns. I would make comic art or do freelance work when I wasn't actively playing. Well...I started getting winning streaks all the time. Then I done got gud. Now I'll play hacky-sack with your head after I kick it off in that game.

Mobile
- Android
- Knights of Pen and Paper...umm...that's it?
I don't really use my phone for gaming. I hate the interfaces and the emptiness of most games on mobile. The lack of tactile buttons drives me up a wall. I mostly put different ROM's on my phone and use it as much as a neato space age gadget as I can. Gaming is for consoles and PC.

Arcade
- When I could! Yes!
- X-Men, Simpsons Arcade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...aww man...I ran out of quarters!
Seriously though, these were the main games I played. They were similar in play and gave you a pretty good playtime for what you paid for.

Genres
- RPG, Adventure, Fighting

Favorite Games
- Xenoblade Chronicles, Killer Instinct Series, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Fallout 3, Eternal Darkness.
You probably didn't expect Killer Instinct but I love the mechanics of that game! I would have bought an Xbone for it but it is coming to PC!

Social
- Twitter, I run that like a news feed. Facebook occasionally but I'm beginning to hate it more and more everyday due to the passive aggressiveness it exudes. TNE (of course.) IGN forums. XDA for mobile hacking stuffs. If I'm doing research on a game I may read Neogaf if I happen to show up there. I tend to avoid following people on Youtube because I just don't like watching video for some reason. I'd rather read.

Creative Expression
- Occasionally I'll write here or come up with an article. I discuss games with friends over drinks. I used to do some comics for various groups (most notable Lionhead Studios paid me for a run of 90 comics in their forums viral style.) I have an idea for a graphic novel that I may try to make into an actual indie game in the future and have talked with some developers around here about the idea and it seemed to go well. Maybe next summer. Otherwise, I do the occasional drawing for my classroom or design woodcut t-shirts. I'm working on a "Rollzerker" Splatoon shirt right now actually.

Competitive Gaming
- Do you consider yourself a competitive gamer? No and yes. I get real competitive with people I know here on TNE. Online I have no desire to compete against the equivalent of a PC AI on level KILL KILL KILL. On Toribash I'll do tourneys occasionally.
- Do you compete for fun with friends or in serious competitive matches or ranked matches? Mostly fun with friends. Rarely competitive but I've been thinking about doing some Smash competitively.
- Do you consider yourself an amateur competitor, semi-pro, or pro? I would say amateur competitor but if I had the time I could probably go semi-pro.
- Which competitive games did you focus on most in the past and now? Toribash, Splatoon, Smash Bros Wii U. The past I would say Killer Instinct.

Menashe

This list is constructed to favour console gaming histories over PC. Until recently they were two different worlds each as rich as the other.

So... Fuck you, five. :p

I got into adventure games back when they used text parsing, and I still feel that was superior to point and click.

King's Quest 4 (shout out to 3, 5 & 6)
Hero's Quest 2: Quest for Glory (shout out to 1)
The Conquests of Camelot
Tetris
Might & Magic 2
Silpheed
Loom
Mech Warrior 2 (shout out to 1)
Dark Legions
Warcraft 2 (shout out to 3)
Tie Fighter
Hind
Starcraft
Starcraft 2
X-Com
FTL

Shout-outs to Fallout 2, Wing Commander 2, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Civ 5, Vette, Sopwith, Plants vs. Zombies, etc.
That's a good point. How would you you divide the generations of PC gaming? For me, it started with the early Apple-II and Macintosh era, then the MS DOS era with all the Summvm point and click games, the Windows 95 era with Tomb Raider, Half-life 1, Red Alert, Starcraft, Diablo, etc, and then everything from when Bioware switched from doing 2D games (Baldur's Gate series) to 3D games (Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic) and onwards. But I doubt that's a proper classification.

It's just hard to lump them into nice clearly distinguishable timelines like with consoles, where each new piece of hardware has its own beginning and ending. PC Gaming becomes a bit of a blur to me because there's no real end of a generation felt in a finite way. That's why the only thing that's distinguishable for me is when I either switched to entirely new hardware (from Apple to Windows-licensed), major operating system switches (MS DOS to Windows), or technology upgrades that affected gameplay majorly (2D graphics to basic 3D graphics, and then to amazing 3D graphics.)

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Gen 1 - 1972–
N/a

Gen 2 - 1976–
N/a

Gen 3 - 1983–
Grandparents owned an NES. Only game I ever really got into was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project.

Gen 4 - 1987–
N/a

Gen 5 - 1993–
N64 was my first console. I have so many happy memories with that thing. Way more games than just the 3 I will list had a huge impact on me as a gamer and as a person.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Gen 6 - 1998–

Gamecube was the first console I got very early on after launch. Definitely one of the most excited moments of my life when I finally got to play it on Christmas morning.

1. Metroid Prime
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
3. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

Gen 7 - 2005–

Wii was the first console I got on launch day. I remember going down to Wal-Mart on launch night but they already had allocated all of their systems to people who had been waiting in line for up to 48 hours. I woke my dad up early that Sunday morning to run across town in Athens GA to check out the electronics stores. I had heard that Best Buy had 40 systems, so I thought they might be the best bet. I was heart broken when we drove by and I saw that there were about literally 300 people in line. We were going to turn around and go home when I noticed a couple of people standing in front of the Toy's R Us next to the Best Buy. I convinced my dad to drop me off. I was 7th in line, and the TRU had 10 systems! I was over the moon with happiness. Totally didn't mind waiting outside for about 4 hours in the cold. Fantastic memory. Wii was also the first system I played a "Zelda" title on.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Wii Sports
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Gen 8 - 2012–

Wii U was the first console I bought on my own. I was the first person in the Atlanta metro area to pre-order a Wii U at a Gamestop. It's probably my favorite system ever.

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
3. Mario Kart 8

Handhelds

My first handheld system was a black 3DS XL. I've since upgraded to a Hyrule Edition New 3DS XL.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising
3. Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars

PC Gaming

A few different Window's versions.

1. Mass Effect
2. Half Life 2
3. Bioshock

Mobile

N/a

Arcade
N/a