Your Wii U impressions so far

As most of you know, the Wii U has been on shelves for a little over a year now. I figure now is a good time to reflect on the first year and discuss how we're all liking/hating it so far.
Personally, I feel like this is the most unimpressed I've been with a new console. I've loved my time with it, but never felt blown away or awed at how this is the next step. I imagine a lot of people feel this way from what I'm hearing about the Xbone and PS4. My first console was the SNES, then the N64. the 64 blew me away due to the first 3D system I owned. Gamecube was the first system I saved my pennies for and bought myself, felt really gratified about it, and Luigi's Mansion was such a splendid title. Similarly, I worked at a crappy job to afford the Wii, and it was such a revolution for me. Conversely, the Wii U just feels...there. I bought it because at the time, Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 were set to release in a month's time, and Aliens Colonial Marines wasn't cancelled yet. So after playing through Mario U, it just sat there.
Even now, I look at my collection. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Zombi U and a few more. While these are some great titles, Pikmin 3 was the only one that really stole my heart (figure of speech). I bought Wonderful 101 today and only got the first mission done, so maybe this will be the first title to make me appreciate the system more. It's weird though, I love all my games, but often times forget about the console itself, especially whenever the 3DS gets a new release. It's usually the other way around as I tend to give more time to consoles than handhelds.
A little theory I have is that because my first introduction was New Super Mario Bros U, followed by the announcement of delays and cancellations for the above titles I mentioned, that it spent a lot of time not being used. When the software started releasing steadily in August, the introduction was beneath me. If I bought the U in August with Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell and Mario U, maybe I'd feel more "blown away" by it.

Anyways, my rant is over. What are your thoughts on the U so far?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
To not get way more words here than needs to be said.

I have enjoyed and played it since day one rarely without missing a day too play. I've very much enjoyed it.

I personally feel it will be the next GameCube. Not in a bad way! In the way in which years from now people will say it was the console with the best games.

-Mike

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
10/10 -- for gathering dust, that is. :>
Nah, in reality I've gotten a ton of really great gaming out of it already. I think I'm close to 400 hours of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and probably around 200 hours between the two COD games playing here with TNE. Besides that, I've played a lot of unique and fresh games that have already ingrained themselves in me, such as Zombi U, Wonderful 101, and Super Mario 3D World. And then there's Pikmin 3, which I need to pick back up and finish.
I have zero regrets about this system already, and we're only starting 2014.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
First several months were a snooze fest for me in reality, hardly had anything I really enjoyed playing for a lot. Wish I had waited until fall of last year to get one, but then I had literally nothing else on the wii to buy and I've finished up all but a couple of games for it.
2d mario.. I just don't enjoy them much anymore. Pretty much burnt out on them still haven't finished the luigi dlc. Sonic transformed I actually really liked, but that game's constant tendency to crash caused me to dislike the wiiu version really quickly, and I ended up getting it off steam and play it there regularly. Darksiders 2 ended up the same way. The rest of the launch games i ended up getting were time wasters until something I really wanted came out aside from tekken which i was hoping to like but didn't. August was the next real time I truly started to enjoy the system, and it's been that way since.
Pikmin 3 started it, followed by rayman legends, sonic lost world, mario 3d world, wonderful 101 and somewhat zelda wind waker in no specific order. Too bad I really don't have the time to play them as much as i'd like now.

This whole generation of consoles has felt like a continuation of the last.
Nintendo failed to show that they're invested in the GamePad by coming out with truly game changing experiences.PS4 is the most returned console; best selling games are cross-generational games.Xbox One is $500. Microsoft have failed to prove that Kinect 2.0 is worth it. Best games are mostly cross-generational.Micro-transactions are back in the form of jumbo transcations.Incomplete games are being released and nobody bats an eye (GTAV).
I'll give PS4 and Xbox One the benefit of the doubt, considering it's barely been 2 months for these guys, but Nintendo better bring it in 2014 unless they plan to ride out this generation in mediocrity, only releasing one or two games of critical acclaim a year.
I really want to see what the Wii U can do with the 3DS's legs.
Here's what 3DS did this year:Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, SteamWorld Dig, Gunman Clive, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move, Rune Factory 4, Kokuga, Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo, HarmoKnight, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers, Picross e, Nano Assault EX.
Exclusives: 19Unofficial Timed Exclusives: 1 (SteamWorld)Remakes/Remasters: 3Multiplats: 1

Here's what Wii U did this year (Technically a few months, because there was pretty much nothing for the majority of the year):Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut, Skylanders Swap Force, Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, Pikmin 3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, Star Wars Pinball, Mutant Mudds Deluxe, Edge, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, CastleStorm, LEGO City Undercover, Toki Tori 2, Knytt Underground, LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Resident Evil: Revelations, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party, Disney Infinity, Cloudberry Kingdom, Dr. Luigi, New Super Luigi U, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, DuckTales Remastered, Wii Sports Club
Exclusives: 9-10Remakes/Remasters: 6Multiplats/Cross-generational: 19
Considering these facts, which looked like the more obvious choice to consumers this year? That's right, the Nintendo 3DS. Simply put, the Wii U didn't look like a Nintendo console. It looked like some confused wannabe PlayStation/Xbox with occasional Nintendo exclusives.
Step it up this year, Nintendo.

I got mine launch day and I loved every second of it. There were times where I had not much to play I will admit, but I had a blast. I truly feel that this is a next gen console with next gen ideas

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I am very happy towards this wonderful little machine. I got it in January last year, two months from release date. I went through enough trouble to get it then and I think I let my hype get out of hand since all the trouble I went through to get it. I had a blast with NintendoLand and the graphics were very crisp and impressive for me. Then I stopped playing it for a while until I got monster hunter which didn't click with me, and returned it for call of duty, which was fun at first but eventually traded it in. I think I played my Wii U very little until August came, and man, when I got pikmin 3 I remembered the reason why I got one in the first place. I began having a blast, and I just kept enjoying my Wii U more with Rayman Legends and Wind Waker HD and 3D World and games like that. I am very satisfied overall with the console, there are just a few adjustments that I would love if they were made. Also I can't wait to see what Nintendo and indies have n store for it.,

We got our first WiiU for Christmas last year. My husband and oldest child were addicted to new SMBU, but I was not hooked until Pikmin3. We opted to purchase a 2nd wiiU for our bedroom, instead of a PS4 or XBone, because its a gorgeous user friendly system and provides everything we need for an EXCELLENT price. The system itself is great & I cannot wait to see where the games library is headed ;)

JoshV

I picked the system up at launch with 3-4 games. I played ZombiU almost exclusively until I finished it and loved every minute. Every once in awhile my system would freeze with certain games and I'd have to completely unplug. Very annoying. After an update, never had that issue again. It's a Netflix box when I don't feel like playing anything and an awesome one at that thanks to the Gamepad. I've purchased more games in 2013 than any other 2 years that I've been gaming. My backlog is bigger than it's ever been at any point. Though I have some time now to clean up the library until Bayonetta 2 releases.
I was initially impressed with the system and more so as it keeps improving. The Gamepad is the only controller I use (except Pikmin), while Pro is for multi. I've really enjoyed all of my 2013 software purchases, the interface, and the system extras. The word drought is completely lost on me. I game on 3 platforms, but in 2013 90% of that was on the Wii U. Monster Hunter has a bit to do with that, but I've never at any point since launch been left wanting games.
I'm pretty pumped going into 2014 considering what's been announced and I'm curious about what they're still keeping quiet on. Other than early freezing issues, my only other complaint would have been smudges, but I took care of that with a retro skin.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Great thread (you should turn it into an article, CoV).

I've had a blast with my Wii U, but a big part of that is the community here. I've gotten to play online with a bunch of you, and gotten to hear you (via a very charitable gift) and literally spend hours of time with good people as a result. Even though I considered many folks here friends before, I feel like now we've genuinely hung out together. And I wouldn't trade that for any other console.

And there have been some great, great memories for me with the games. I finally got to play all of Wind Waker on it (and I got to play the definitive version). I stayed up way too late chasing Silent Bob on my speed wall in NFS (probably haven't played a racer this much since RR Type 4). I've gotten to play indie releases like MSF and Trine 2 that sometimes make me wonder why I even bother with "big name" releases at all.

But I do feel ya on not being blown away by the console itself. It's my first HD console, but teh shineez have never really been a big deal to me. It doesn't have the wow factor of motion controls or going 3D or being a first home console. It doesn't have a dramatic visual bump. I still think it's a really good console, but it doesn't get my trousers all in a ruckus like the Wii did.

"Blockstar" is ingenious.

I really like LEGO City Undercover. It's quickly become one of the console's most unsung gems.

I thought the launch was rather lackluster as I primarily played NSMBU (did have AC3) and I reviewed COD: Black Ops 2 and Transformers Prime. I also picked up a few virtual titles which held my interest for a short time. The launch of the virtual console was when I felt it began to pick up, but still disappointing. Even after the Wii supported N64, we somehow don't have those on Wii U.
I felt it really picked up over the summer. I got Mudds Deluxe (had the 3DS game), then got Super Luigi U. I was playing the console a lot more. We also finally got some quality virtual console games too in the Mega Man series and Super Metroid was recently released. Now that W101, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club; I finally have a sufficient list of games to play and all is well.

Aki

Overall, I've had a very pleasant time with Wii U and would have to say that the first year of owning it has been great and I don't regret being an early adopter.
I picked mine up on launch and with about 10 games and thought that it was awesome. While many complained that the launch was stale due to the games being out on other systems, I purposely skipped out on them on other consoles and picked them up for Wii U instead. So right off the bat, I had a bunch of stuff to play. I consistently played it up until a few months ago, by which time I had beaten most or all of the titles that I own for the console. I think it's worth mentioning that my personal GOTY this year was a Wii U game, WW HD. I have no doubt that I'll continue to enjoy the system because I know that more Nintendo titles are on the way.
I also very pleased with how Nintendo has handled the system. To avoid confusion, I'm not talking about marketing or any of that, I'm strictly talking about the OS updates, expansion of the eShop, adding features like Miiverse, this and that. I think the console has come a long way since day one and I believe that it will get better.
My annoyances with the console are minor, however, they may be pretty big to others. I hate the fact that you can't navigate the eShop or the settings with a Pro Controller. I hate that wireless headsets aren't supported. I also feel like Nintendo is moving to slow when it comes to the VC.

Overall, I've had a very pleasant time with Wii U and would have to say that the first year of owning it has been great and I don't regret being an early adopter.
I picked mine up on launch and with about 10 games and thought that it was awesome. While many complained that the launch was stale due to the games being out on other systems, I purposely skipped out on them on other consoles and picked them up for Wii U instead. So right off the bat, I had a bunch of stuff to play. I consistently played it up until a few months ago, by which time I had beaten most or all of the titles that I own for the console. I think it's worth mentioning that my personal GOTY this year was a Wii U game, WW HD. I have no doubt that I'll continue to enjoy the system because I know that more Nintendo titles are on the way.
I also very pleased with how Nintendo has handled the system. To avoid confusion, I'm not talking about marketing or any of that, I'm strictly talking about the OS updates, expansion of the eShop, adding features like Miiverse, this and that. I think the console has come a long way since day one and I believe that it will get better.
My annoyances with the console are minor, however, they may be pretty big to others. I hate the fact that you can't navigate the eShop or the settings with a Pro Controller. I hate that wireless headsets aren't supported. I also feel like Nintendo is moving to slow when it comes to the VC.
I agree 100 times over with the way Nintendo is slowly updating the VC.

Aki

So... nobody expected better in the games department?
I don't think that realistically the game department could've been better. It has a good amount of exclusives and third party big hitters. What would you have added that Nintendo could've realistically put out so excluding stuff like Elder Scrolls and GTA?

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I'm not crazy about the gamepad being the focus. Games like RE:R and Duex Ex don't support the wiimote for aiming, and I would have preferred that option over what the gamepad is offering.
I do like the gamepad for non-gaming stuff though. It's great for Miiverse and the Internet browser, but I don't buy consoles for that stuff.
I love asymmetrical gaming for the living room. We still fire up Mario Chase now and then. I am super pumped for Mario Kart 8.
/incoherent rambling

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The fact I play it all the time I think says it all. That's not to say it's perfect, hell, no console is perfect, but what the Wii U does have is great games, and great hardware.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
How so?

It can be written around how the Wii U is a very good console...but it's not revolutionary. It's great fun, but if anyone feels a slight sense of "where's the magic?" then it's probably because of what we've come to expect as magical transformations (the promise of motion controls, 3D gaming, massive visual improvements, etc.).

I'm not crazy about the gamepad being the focus. Games like RE:R and Duex Ex don't support the wiimote for aiming, and I would have preferred that option over what the gamepad is offering.
Y'know, I hadn't thought of that for Deus Ex, because I've pretty much played it as a stealth game more than a shooter. But if I had IR aiming? I'd be playing it as one, for sure.

I just don't see why the Wii U can't get the same type of internal support the 3DS gets. There were only 9-10 exclusives on the Wii U this year with 6 of them being remakes/remasters. The only original content from Nintendo this year on Wii U was Pikmin 3, W101, LEGO City Undercover, and Super Mario 3D World. Not even. 3 of those games came out Q3 and Q4. The only original exclusive that came out between march and august was Game & Wario. Not a terrible game, but not a big release either.
I'm just glad Nintendo is looking to outdo 2013 this year with games like DKCR:TF, MK8, Smash Bros 4, X, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and hopefully SMTxFE. That's already 7 original exclusives right there. AAA third party support might be looking a little a dry on Wii U in 2014 for now, but I'm not too sure how many people will be affected by that if Nintendo is able to deliver the goods themselves. I'm pretty satified with third party games from mid-budget and low-budget studios. Unless an AAA game takes advantage of the Wii U's features (like Most Wanted U and Batman did), I'm going to get it on PC so I can play the definitive version of the game. I just don't want to see any more droughts.

I just don't see why the Wii U can't get the same type of internal support the 3DS gets. There were only 9-10 exclusives on the Wii U this year with 6 of them being remakes/remasters. The only original content from Nintendo this year on Wii U was Pikmin 3, W101, LEGO City Undercover, and Super Mario 3D World. Not even. 3 of those games came out Q3 and Q4. The only original exclusive that came out between march and august was Game & Wario. Not a terrible game, but not a big release either.
I'm just glad Nintendo is looking to outdo 2013 this year with games like DKCR:TF, MK8, Smash Bros 4, X, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and hopefully SMTxFE. That's already 7 original exclusives right there. AAA third party support might be looking a little a dry on Wii U in 2014 for now, but I'm not too sure how many people will be affected by that if Nintendo is able to deliver the goods themselves. I'm pretty satified with third party games from mid-budget and low-budget studios. Unless an AAA game takes advantage of the Wii U's features (like Most Wanted U and Batman did), I'm going to get it on PC so I can play the definitive version of the game. I just don't want to see any more droughts.
Nintendo has had a tough time learning HD. I've seen that reported numerous times over the past year. So it's obviously easier to make 3DS games. Also, the 3DS has 1.5 year head start, so they have already been comfortable making games for it. Where were the first party 3DS titles in its first year? OOT 3D (sort of), Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus Uprising.
Nintendo has been having this funk learning their own console and taking it's time publishing out solid games. They wait for it to take off for a half year and take the "OMG" moment to say we really need titles out the door yesterday. Wii U and 3DS started off on the same page.
Wii U will be off running this year, and it will show. Donkey Kong will get things started, Mario kart 8 will throw the gasoline on, and the bomb drops when Smash 4 is out the door. Everything else is extra, extra, extra, extra, toppings on this cake.

Aki

Let's face it, it's less expensive making games for 3DS and there's a lot less risk involved. When you release games on the home consoles, you're competing with the big boys. When releasing Wii U games not only is Nintendo competing with third party devs who support their console, but they are also competing for shelf space with the best from SCEA, MS Game Studios, Bethesda, 2K, Rockstar, EA, Atlus, Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft, Squeenix, Namco, SEGA and more.

Oh yeah, I'll be the first person to understand that they've been having a tough time switching to HD. I'm just saying that from a technical standpoint, they could have done better and probably will now that they've gotten some experience.
@Aki64 I wouldn't say that developing for the 3DS naturally presents less of a risk, as if the system was doing Vita numbers, nobody would want to develop for the system. Atlus, Capcom, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Namco, and SEGA are all on the 3DS as well with all those companies and EA and Activision being on the Wii U. So why isn't Nintendo not competing for shelf space? Because the factors that determine that are how well your system sells in comparison to the competition.
The only people who really worry about competing for shelf space are the companies whose games don't typically sell all that well, but even then, if your games don't usually generate mass appeal, you're probably making money by selling digitally.
EDIT: I'm actually not sure how much of what I said in this comment is even relevant. Feel free to ignore it.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Nintendo has had a tough time learning HD. I've seen that reported numerous times over the past year. So it's obviously easier to make 3DS games. Also, the 3DS has 1.5 year head start, so they have already been comfortable making games for it. Where were the first party 3DS titles in its first year? OOT 3D (sort of), Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus Uprising.
Nintendo has been having this funk learning their own console and taking it's time publishing out solid games. They wait for it to take off for a half year and take the "OMG" moment to say we really need titles out the door yesterday. Wii U and 3DS started off on the same page.
Wii U will be off running this year, and it will show. Donkey Kong will get things started, Mario kart 8 will throw the gasoline on, and the bomb drops when Smash 4 is out the door. Everything else is extra, extra, extra, extra, toppings on this cake.
NIntendo didnt say they had a tough time of learning HD.
They said they mismanaged their team allocation when they sent everyone to work on 3DS games. Ergo not enough people to finish the added work of HD content

As for me? Well Im just waiting to see the content I know will change the narrative upon how people view this system and what they like in it.

I know its coming.

Wii U first year had a rocky start but I wouldn't count it out yet due to all the exclusives that are coming out this year. Last year had various delays which I'm expecting won't happen this time. I'll give year one a C+ since 1stQ & 2ndQ lacked flow of games and 3rdQ & 4thQ is when they picked up sales and AAA game releases.

I own over 20 games for it already. I play it often and watch things on it pretty much daily. So for me its been a pretty great year, with some lows but luckily those didnt last long. And still I want it to get better.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Between my job and home life, I don't have a ton of time to devote to gaming. Less than 10 hours a week I would say, and that's a max. (Sometimes more if I can binge on a weekend.)

With that being said, I have loved my WiiU so far. Do I wish there were more games? Yes, but also between my 3DS, WiiU, and WiiU eShop games, I currently have a backlog.

To date, the WiiU has been what I hoped it would be. I'm enjoying the experience the GamePad provides, even if it's just a place for the map and items on games. It's convenient. Also, the GamePad is great when using Netflix. That Qwerty keyboard makes surfing simpler. The off-screen gaming has been a huge plus. I was able to do New Super Mario Bros U without using the TV. (during a busy TV watching season, that helped me beat the game and keep up on Game of Thrones and other shows.)

For me, Nintendo's newest console has been a win.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
With the recent press and anonymous devs claiming Nintendo is difficult to work with and the counter argument from Renegade Kid devs , do you think the quality of game on Wii U are the same as the 3DS ??

From the games, I have played so far, I would say yes. Of them, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, and even Arkham City were all well done and thoroughly enjoyable. But my definition of a worthwhile experience, whether it be TV/Movie/Book/Video game, is when I'm done, was it enjoyable and worth my time. From all the things I have played on the WiiU so far, I would say yes.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I've loved it. I didn't get my Wii U until March and I have a wide range of tastes in video games so personally I didn't get effected much by the first half of the year drought. For me the GamePad is perfect, for one it fits perfectly in my hands, for two even just having a map or inventory on the screen adds a lot to the experience, and that's not to mention how awesome asymmetric multiplayer, off-TV play, being one of the best TV remotes, and navigation of menus, Miiverse, and eShop is! As of late it has become hard for me to use a "classic" controller.
Though I do admit the Wii U had quite a few problems last year, but I'm willing to overlook most of them due to last year being it's first year. I have every hope Nintendo will fix the remaining problems this year.

With the recent press and anonymous devs claiming Nintendo is difficult to work with and the counter argument from Renegade Kid devs , do you think the quality of game on Wii U are the same as the 3DS ??

From the games, I have played so far, I would say yes. Of them, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, and even Arkham City were all well done and thoroughly enjoyable. But my definition of a worthwhile experience, whether it be TV/Movie/Book/Video game, is when I'm done, was it enjoyable and worth my time. From all the things I have played on the WiiU so far, I would say yes.
That's great (and encouraging) to hear! :D

Love my Wii U.
Didn't always love it. That period between launch and summer last year was ridiculous. You had this game heavy launch, one of the most plentiful in history followed by months of nothing. Nintendo had to finally pull out Earthbound just to give people something new to play. It was pretty pathetic.
That said, I get a lot of play out of the Wii U that isn't games. The Web Browser is perfect for watching YouTube and it's a great remote for the TV. It's also a great conversation piece when people see it and get to use it. I think Nintendo did "home entertainment" right.
The games situation has certainly improved now. I recently picked up ZombiU and might grab Lego City Undercover for cheap. Lots of great eShop titles coming though I feel Nintendo needs to kick up their production on Virtual Console titles. The slow trickle just doesn't do it for me.
I'm glad to have picked up the console though. Even just for Super Mario 3D World.