Zelda Reveals, your hype meter ?

Ex-Actarus

Ok, we're just few weeks away from the Zelda Wii U reveal.

There is NOTHING more excting in videogames that a new Zelda Reveal.

NOTHING !!!

So I would like to know what was your Hype meter ( from 1 to 10 ) for Zelda game reveals.

I'm only referring to home console Zelda games here.

- Link to the Past- 8
I didn't know anything about Zelda at the time, but I kept hearing friend talking about it.
Then I saw a trailer...

- Ocarina of Time - 10
I think there are only 2 games I litteralu could nto sleep because I was waiting them so much : Halo 2 and Ocarina of Time.
After playing Mario 64 imagiing palying Zelda in a 3D wolrd was sick at the time ! But When you dream about something and the reality even surpass the dream... That's Ocarina of Time.

- Majora's Mask - 6
Very disappointing Reveal. It looks to much of the same and didn't like those masks at all. I was never into it even when ! played the game.

- The Wind Waker - 0
I'm not talking about the game but the Reveal.
My brothers and myself were so shocked byt that first trailer. Waht the hell they did to Link ?
I remember debatting online that this was a joke made by Miyamoto. We kept waiting for the real Reveal the same day and the day after :)
It's funny how the game is loved today, that's wasn't like that after SpaceWorld Reveal I can tell you that...

- Twilight Princess - 11
The ONLY times I litteraly drop tears during the Reveal.
Every Nintendo fan will remember that Reveal forever !!!

- Skyward Sword - 5
I was very underweilmed by the trailer. I didn't like the artsyle and the Link charadesign and even the music. It was a Meh Reveal. But as Wind Waker, the reception for game was very different.

Now let's hope that the Zelda Wii U Reveal will be as exciting that the Zelda Wii U Tech demo
BELIEVE !!!

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I only remember the debacle that came after the Wind Waker reveal, not the reveal itself, and I've only seen the reveals for Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, the DS Zeldas, and A Link Between Worlds. The Twilight Princess reveal was epic, the Skyward Sword reveal was pretty good, the DS Zelda reveals were meh, and the A Link Between Worlds reveal was also pretty good...IMHO, of course

Yeah Zelda SUPRISE reveals are great. Too bad Nintendo lately is always saying "yeah btw we have a new Zelda, we'll show it off next year".

It's not just Zelda either, the Smash Bros trailer last year would have been 10 times better if the year before they didn't say "yeah we're planning a new one"

The fact we know it's coming ruins most excitement.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Yeah Zelda SUPRISE reveals are great. Too bad Nintendo lately is always saying "yeah btw we have a new Zelda, we'll show it off next year".

It's not just Zelda either, the Smash Bros trailer last year would have been 10 times better if the year before they didn't say "yeah we're planning a new one"

The fact we know it's coming ruins most excitement.
^This but, if they don't tell us about what they're going to show off in the future, the whiners are going to complain about them not having any games in development or that there's nothing to look forward too. It really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation

^This but, if they don't tell us about what they're going to show off in the future, the whiners are going to complain about them not having any games in development or that there's nothing to look forward too. It really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation
Yeah, but then you get the people complaining about what we're getting now? A Zelda in the future is cool Ninty, but what about now? The Wii U is out now in case you forgot Ninty. What are you doing Ninty.

God Ninty

:p

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
a half life 3 announcement would be more exciting
A Half-Life 3 announcement is also never going to happen

:msilly:

Yeah, but then you get the people complaining about what we're getting now? A Zelda in the future is cool Ninty, but what about now? The Wii U is out now in case you forgot Ninty. What are you doing Ninty.

God Ninty

:p
Sounds like the Wii/Wii-U Board in a nutshell

ASuch

The Salt Master
A Half-Life 3 announcement is also never going to happen

:msilly:
Source Engine 2 tho

it'll be their third engine

and it's already been confirmed to be in the works

they'll do a double announcement for this: they'll show off their multiplayer games, Left 4 Dead 3 and Team Fortress 3, while showing their single player games, Portal 3 and Half Life 3

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Source Engine 2 tho

it'll be their third engine

and it's already been confirmed to be in the works

they'll do a double announcement for this: they'll show off their multiplayer games, Left 4 Dead 3 and Team Fortress 3, while showing their single player games, Portal 3 and Half Life 3
That's the perfect way to set yourself up for disappointment, man. Don't worry, I'll be here to provide a shoulder for you to cry on

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
wtf else are they going to announce with source engine 2? they're not just gonna stop making video games
Of course they're not going to stop making video games. It's just that I doubt they'll show off to many major games at once. At most, they'll show off one major game and that'll be about it

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
As COV said, you can't top the surprise reveals. Twilight Princess was a one-shot thing. That was a combination surprise + Celda hangover cure, and that's not replicable in present conditions.

My hype level will simply depend on what they show. Skyward Sword was a fantastic game, but the reveal didn't do the art style justice, and I was a bit disappointed in the E3 presentation as a result.

Ex-Actarus

As COV said, you can't top the surprise reveals. Twilight Princess was a one-shot thing. That was a combination surprise + Celda hangover cure, and that's not replicable in present conditions.

My hype level will simply depend on what they show. Skyward Sword was a fantastic game, but the reveal didn't do the art style justice, and I was a bit disappointed in the E3 presentation as a result.
I agree Twilight Princess reveal will probably never be topped.
But you never know...
Imagine if the trailer starts and you see Retro's logo, you will go nuts !!!

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Not that hype. It's the gamepad.

-Choosing items via touchscreen like WW HD is slower than in Skyward Sword
-Likely dropping directional swordplay for one button combat
-Unlikely that we'll be able to move and aim FPS-style like in SS. We'll probably be aiming with gamepad

I'm hoping they go lite on the gamepad, and make the game-world the star of the show.

I think Nintendo should drop trying front and center the GamePad entrely like they have with 3D for the 3DS.

Dual-screen has been a standard since 2004 when the DS released so there's really nothing Nintendo can do to surprise people with the GamePad. Nintendo should rather use the GamePad as a tool to take Zelda to new heights and if they can't do that, just leave it out entirely like they did with tropical freeze.

Plenty of other chances to make the GamePad the star of the show.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

a half life 3 announcement would be more exciting
Not really.

Half Life 3DS though.

LOL.

The Gamepad Should be used like it is. The Ultimate interface. Dont make it the show, but you should be aware that its how you're interacting with many many many factors of the game.
It should be the "lens" of the world so to speak.

EvilTw1n

Not that hype. It's the gamepad.

-Choosing items via touchscreen like WW HD is slower than in Skyward Sword
-Likely dropping directional swordplay for one button combat
-Unlikely that we'll be able to move and aim FPS-style like in SS. We'll probably be aiming with gamepad
All very true, but after playing WW, I'm OK with one-button combat. I missed the awesome Motion+ controls, but the Zelda combat template is sufficient with streamlined fighting, IMO. And hopefully there are some neat things they integrate with the GamePad.
I'm hoping they go lite on the gamepad, and make the game-world the star of the show.
I could get down with that. I spent dozens of hours just riding around Hyrule in Twilight Princess.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think 1 button combat would work better if they dropped Z-targeting. Make combat arcade style like the 2D games. Having a lock-on system with one button combat is like putting on scuba gear to get into the bathtub.

EvilTw1n

After playing a lot of MH, I now see some beauty in non-Z target combat. But all 3D Zelda makes its bones on 'dat Z-targeting. For anything beyond low-level scrubs, it's also about dodging, rolling, and countering.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm cool with one button combat as long as like Mike suggested, blocking, dodging, countering, and other such things get put in place. But Zelda could never be Dark Souls, so why do I even ask for this from Zelda.

Ex-Actarus

I'm very excited to see the Zelda U and after seeing what they want with Mk8 my expectations are very very high.
The thing is tbat Mario Kart games have never been the graphical showcase of Nintendo platform.

Mario Kart 8 is the best looking game on Wii U. Not even close...

So now imagine how Zelda Wii U could look like :) ?

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Currently my hype level is at 28/10.

I'm fully expecting to be disappointed (for one thing, if it doesn't have M+ controls I'll be disappointed), but I'm not going to let that minor detail stop my hype for the reveal! :mgrin::msilly:

Well, for Zelda Wii U, my hype is off the roof. I really loved WWHD and ALBW, and seeing how both have elements that will be present in Zelda U, I think Zelda U might end up being my favorite.
I only remember really following the reveals of Skyward Sword, OoT3D, WWHD and ALBW.
For Skyward Sword and OoT3D, I didn't follow E3 news live, I only went to websites to catch the news. So, my reactions were more like "woah, it looks beautiful, and Motion+ controls must be great!" or "It will be great to play OoT on the go!", but nothing above that.
For WWHD, I remember I watched the Direct live, and I was ecstatic, because it was Wind Waker reborn in HD, plus Zelda on Wii U earlier than expected, plus I was imagining Wind Waker with all the issues I had with it fixed (which ended up happening).
I didn't watch the ALBW reveal live, but I was excited nonetheless. I was kinda expecting that Direct to have it, and I was sooooo glad it was returning to the Zelda roots. I was more excited to the Earthbound VC reveal though :p

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Im going to enjoy watching this game being released thoroughly

I really enjoyed my time with Skyward Sword. I was busy playing that and Xenoblade for the entire summer back in '12.

Im expecting something strange and new but familiar. Most interested in the new mechanics and combat that it should bring

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen

I disagree.. I think the conditions are exactly right for that kind of push.... the disappointment of gamers with the wii, the poor reception of the wii u, the zelda series becoming more and more criticized with each entry for its stagnation and refusal to modernize

that being said.. I do NOT think Nintendo will step up to the plate to surprise us...

but they could

this is the first HD zelda (well true HD, not an uprez port), and there are a ton of modernizations that could be put into the series for the first time... including voice acting... they have also been over-recycling in the series with music and even the game engine (which I am positive is the same engine that was used on the n64 just adapted... because skyward sword still has fucking dithering issues)... so a step away from that could be HUGE

if they modernize zelda while keeping it ZELDA... it could be like a wake up call to all the former nintendo fans that no longer acknowledge them

I dont think it'll happen... but it COULD... even more so than with TP because gamers are frustrated with the entirety of nintendo now not just a single iteration of one franchise...

consider this
- full voice acting (controversial for sure)
- a massive and super detailed world
- a strong cast of characters that aren't caricatures
- new and exciting items
- modern game traversal (climbing, more animations, etc..)
- new music
- more interesting combat
- significant wii u specific elements that dont feel gimicky
- a story that diverges a bit from what we expect

EvilTw1n

It's going to be hit the big fucking eye and smash A to win.
...which is to say, 3D Zelda. :p
I disagree.. I think the conditions are exactly right for that kind of push.... the disappointment of gamers with the wii, the poor reception of the wii u, the zelda series becoming more and more criticized with each entry for its stagnation and refusal to modernize
I agree with most of what you say, save for this. There might be people disappointed from the Wii, but I don't think Skyward Sword got nearly the same flak as Wind Waker got.

(I'm not sure what it'll take to make gamers happy. Zelda is stagnating, so Nintendo entirely switches the art style, adds in the type of motion-control combat people had always wanted, flips the progression structure, and at long last gives a plot origin story...and that's still too stagnant.)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Zelda is laging behind, especially when you consider the modernizations made to mario with galaxy, and now with mario kart too... The whole franchise feels dated

As I said, it needs new music, it needs better graphics (and for goodness sake no more dithering artifacts), it needs some new gameplay mechanics all around (new items, better climbing and maneuverability), it needs to do SOMETHING about voice acting, it needs make improvements to basic interactions and interface...

You may not think that skyward sword gets as much flak as wind waker... I argue that people simply didn't care about skyward sword... It is as if it was the last straw and people stopped caring about the franchise entirely... All of the attention on link between worlds was like the hype for a franchise reboot... I would say that skyward sword was zelda' mario sunshine... And now we need zelda's mario galaxy

Skyward sword wasn't met with aggression but rather apathy

hogge

Zelda is laging behind, especially when you consider the modernizations made to mario with galaxy, and now with mario kart too... The whole franchise feels dated

As I said, it needs new music, it needs better graphics (and for goodness sake no more dithering artifacts), it needs some new gameplay mechanics all around (new items, better climbing and maneuverability), it needs to do SOMETHING about voice acting, it needs make improvements to basic interactions and interface...

You may not think that skyward sword gets as much flak as wind waker... I argue that people simply didn't care about skyward sword... It is as if it was the last straw and people stopped caring about the franchise entirely... All of the attention on link between worlds was like the hype for a franchise reboot... I would say that skyward sword was zelda' mario sunshine... And now we need zelda's mario galaxy

I think you hit the nail on the head there.
The first few games, up until Ocarina of Time (apart from Zelda II) were trail blazers, advancing gameplay and graphics with each iteration. Ocarina of Time proved that 3D adventure games are viable.
I feel that Aonuma has been faffing about with weird art styles and gimmicks rather than actually trying to advance the franchise. If he wants to add new features to the franchise formula, then that's FINE. If the sailing from Wind Waker would have become an integral part of the Zelda, then we could probably have something even more fleshed out than what's in Assassins Creed by now. But no. First it was sailing, then it was the wolf, then there were trains, then you rode birds. And the worst part is that the wolf mechanics were a chore. Every single time I had to turn into a wolf, I went "God damn it, not this s**t again". That's a sentence you NEVER should be remotely close to saying in a Zelda game! Not to mention, the time wasted on these pointless mechanics have meant that this trailblazer franchise has lagged behind.

And voices in Zelda shouldn't be controversial at all. This is a REALLY old franchise. It came out during a time when no games at all had any voices. Still during the N64 games, it was forgivable to not have voices, since OoT was a huge game and cartridge space was limited. It's not "part of the formula", it's a guy who's in charge of what used to be the proudest, most valuable franchise in the world of gaming, who's behaving like his team is a bunch of college kids making a ten week game project going "Hey, let's make a fangame, with a twist that NEVER would end up in a commercial product. And it doesen't matter if our final product isn't AAA grade stuff, because we're just students, still learning how to make games". And it's not even like it's true that Zelda never had voices. Voices were practically the selling point of the Satellaview Zeldas.

In conclusion: Zelda used to be gaming gold. The most solid franchise out there. Essentially each entry was the best game of all time at the time of release. Game of the Year by default. By the time Skyward Sword came out, the franchises perfect reputation had been ruined by cash-ins noone cared about (Four Swords, Crossbow Training), abominations that at least at first pissed everyone off and still divide the fans (Wind Waker), two games that just felt old and tired (TP and SS) and just too many portable iterations for anyone to be able to keep track. Not to mention that gamers had lost fate in Nintendo by this time, due to how they had left their old fans for dead, not giving a damn of what they want.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I am beyond hyped for the new Zelda game. Have yet to be disappointed in a Zelda title. Each one has captured my full attention and created a world that I have gone back to multiple times. I have faith that Zelda U will be the best Zelda yet. Pulling in the things we loved about Oot, TP, and SS (minus the motion controls, I'm okay with those going away) and adding new elements.

Still trying to figure out how I can watch the digital presentation at work...

EvilTw1n

I'm all for Zelda getting even more freshened up (after all of these years, Link still has trouble with ladders, while protagonists in Assassin's Creed gracefully traverse roof tops), but if the modernization of Zelda is mostly about voice acting and more modern Twilight Princess-y graphics? It'll certainly be more modern, but in the most superficial ways possible. Skyward Sword may have been met with apathy, but it wasn't for want of evolution within that game, IMO.

I do wonder how Hyrule Warriors will come together. If Nintendo is going to try out voice acting in the Zelda universe, there's no better place to break the ice. And if Team Ninja is fully co-developing it, I hope for some different combat mechanics and animations.

terribledeli

isn't using that sucky pickaxe
I rarely focus on the Zelda reveal since they're often eighteen months (or more) out.

Maybe I'm getting too old for hype reveals.

I was pleased to see Hyrule Warriors but I couldn't get excited since I knew it would almost be a year till it was in my hands. Now, with all the new information coming out now, I'm getting into the mode.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I think you hit the nail on the head there.
The first few games, up until Ocarina of Time (apart from Zelda II) were trail blazers, advancing gameplay and graphics with each iteration. Ocarina of Time proved that 3D adventure games are viable.
I feel that Aonuma has been faffing about with weird art styles and gimmicks rather than actually trying to advance the franchise. If he wants to add new features to the franchise formula, then that's FINE. If the sailing from Wind Waker would have become an integral part of the Zelda, then we could probably have something even more fleshed out than what's in Assassins Creed by now. But no. First it was sailing, then it was the wolf, then there were trains, then you rode birds. And the worst part is that the wolf mechanics were a chore. Every single time I had to turn into a wolf, I went "God damn it, not this s**t again". That's a sentence you NEVER should be remotely close to saying in a Zelda game! Not to mention, the time wasted on these pointless mechanics have meant that this trailblazer franchise has lagged behind.

And voices in Zelda shouldn't be controversial at all. This is a REALLY old franchise. It came out during a time when no games at all had any voices. Still during the N64 games, it was forgivable to not have voices, since OoT was a huge game and cartridge space was limited. It's not "part of the formula", it's a guy who's in charge of what used to be the proudest, most valuable franchise in the world of gaming, who's behaving like his team is a bunch of college kids making a ten week game project going "Hey, let's make a fangame, with a twist that NEVER would end up in a commercial product. And it doesen't matter if our final product isn't AAA grade stuff, because we're just students, still learning how to make games". And it's not even like it's true that Zelda never had voices. Voices were practically the selling point of the Satellaview Zeldas.

In conclusion: Zelda used to be gaming gold. The most solid franchise out there. Essentially each entry was the best game of all time at the time of release. Game of the Year by default. By the time Skyward Sword came out, the franchises perfect reputation had been ruined by cash-ins noone cared about (Four Swords, Crossbow Training), abominations that at least at first pissed everyone off and still divide the fans (Wind Waker), two games that just felt old and tired (TP and SS) and just too many portable iterations for anyone to be able to keep track. Not to mention that gamers had lost fate in Nintendo by this time, due to how they had left their old fans for dead, not giving a damn of what they want.
Nintendo is angry at their fanbase. They have been for the longest time. They have every right to be too. So they changed strategy with the Wii but they still tried, brought back Sin and Punishment, Punchout ect.

The gamecube kinda proved to them that they cant take anything for granted.

So yeah tehy're kinda pissed at them.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Not to mention that gamers had lost fate in Nintendo by this time, due to how they had left their old fans for dead, not giving a damn of what they want.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The thing is is that Nintendo has never given a damn about what the fans were asking for or wanting. They've always done whatever they thought would work or be interesting or whatever. No one ever asked for a two-screened handheld or analog sticks or motion controllers but Nintendo did them anyways. The kind of games Nintendo makes and their quality is about the same as it's always been, it's just that, with the Wii and DS, they had more casual titles than usual but, even before then, they had plenty of casual titles. It's just that no one really distinguished games as casual or hardcore back then and, over time, Nintendo began to gradually lose a lot of their home console audience because they kept and still continue to appeal to the same audience they did back in the day, an audience that is no longer the majority, for better or for worse. Granted, there are some stuff I would like Nintendo to do better or differently as I don't view them as perfect, not by a long shot, but I still feel that they're supporting their old-time fans no differently than they have before