Zelda U has been delayed....

Ex-Actarus

I'm in shock... :(
So Xenoblade Chronicles X and Starfox are going to be the 2 big games of 2015 for Nintendo, right ?

Guys...
It's official, the NX is coming next year and Zelda U it's the launch title. No way around it...

Last edited:

Ex-Actarus

I get the delay, but not why they won't show it. I get the feeling this E3 is going to suck.
NX... That's the "ONLY" logical explanation. Iwata said they won't talk about NX this year. So if Zelda is NOT EVEN shown at E3 it's because the game is being moved to NX. #Twilight Princess2.0

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I'm actually ok with this. I was worried there were too many things for me to play this year. It took me months to plow through Xenoblade Chronicles and I know I will practically be living in X during my spare time. What scares me is that it looks like it will have far more playability than the last one.

Star Fox will be a great game for the holidays. I don't know if I would purchase it if Zelda were coming out within a month of it without some intense multiplayer online.

I hope Zelda does something amazing. We all know Nintendo doesn't release a game until its ready. They are fine artists. Finishing things on a time has never been a stereotypically fine artist thing to do unless you are involved with commercial art which is usually made to catch attention and be devoid of any deep meaning. I think Nintendo is inspired right now and seeing how far they can take things which is perfectly fine with me.

Also, keep this in mind from the Picasso of our era:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
-Shigeru Miyamato

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It's going to be the Wii U swan song, and the fact that it's coming later gives us an indication of the rest of the Wii U lifespan, and maybe what Nintendo has in store for us with NX....

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Is this good or bad for Zelda U...?
Yes.
@EvilTw1n @Goodtwin

So I was wrong, looks like Nintendo might stretch out wii u games and then ditch it for a year just like the wii.
I'm not surprised in the slightest. It's Zelda. This is what Nintendo does with Zelda.
I get the delay, but not why they won't show it. I get the feeling this E3 is going to suck.
It's like they're scared shitless after Twilight Princess to show off a game for a few E3 presentations. The absolute only reason to not show anything at all (not even another teaser) is if they're scrapping the art style. Which seems highly unlikely. It doesn't even make sense if it really is the plan to launch NX with a Zelda (which is also unlikely, given the time frame); it's not like they'd have anything to lose by showing off a formal trailer. We've gotten a screen shot, a teaser cinematic, and a few teases of gameplay. An actual trailer would be pretty well timed for this E3, really.

But...Zelda gonna Zelda.

And if LoZ is sitting this E3 out? Well, guess you're up, Retro.

[...I'll forgive if we get a Twilight Princess HD remaster.]

Goodtwin

This is typical Nintendo, but I honestly didnt think they would do it with how poorly the Wii U is doing. I guess the hope would be that they have a couple unannounced games coming this year, and that will be the big surprise at E3. Thats a big hit to this years lineup, no getting around it. Perhaps 2016 is looking so shallow for Wii U software that holding back Zelda actually made sense. Im sure they are finding a ton of new possibilities with this new huge world they have created, and ultimately, if the delay means a much more alive world, then I am all for it.

@Ex-Actarus

Still coming to Wii U bro, sorry, just like Twilight Princess still came to Gamecube, this game will land on Wii U. I could see it releasing on both, but its not skipping the Wii U.

Ex-Actarus

This is typical Nintendo, but I honestly didnt think they would do it with how poorly the Wii U is doing. I guess the hope would be that they have a couple unannounced games coming this year, and that will be the big surprise at E3. Thats a big hit to this years lineup, no getting around it. Perhaps 2016 is looking so shallow for Wii U software that holding back Zelda actually made sense. Im sure they are finding a ton of new possibilities with this new huge world they have created, and ultimately, if the delay means a much more alive world, then I am all for it.

@Ex-Actarus

Still coming to Wii U bro, sorry, just like Twilight Princess still came to Gamecube, this game will land on Wii U. I could see it releasing on both, but its not skipping the Wii U.
I never said the game would skip the Wii U... I said #TwilightPrincess2.0 !!! That's pretty self-explanatory.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/28/nintendo-says-e3-will-just-be-focussed-on-wii-u-2015-games/

This is pretty neat imo. I wonder what we'll see. I know delaying a game ultimately helps it polish it up and everything, but Nintendo has had trouble with the HD development. A lot of games were announced in 2011/2012 that only released last year. And Yoshi still hasn't come out.

Interesting....
Nintendo - "Zelda U will be Skipping E3."

Nintendo - "E3 will be focused on Wii U."

vJLWe - Copy (2).jpg

Ex-Actarus

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/28/nintendo-says-e3-will-just-be-focussed-on-wii-u-2015-games/

This is pretty neat imo. I wonder what we'll see. I know delaying a game ultimately helps it polish it up and everything, but Nintendo has had trouble with the HD development. A lot of games were announced in 2011/2012 that only released last year. And Yoshi still hasn't come out.

Interesting....
This is VERY, VERY, VERY odd...

Since when you show games that are only releasing the same year at an E3 event ? Never !!!! It never happened before ! I challenged ANYBODY to bring a E3 where there wasn't a single game shown that was released the year later or even later.

I hope that EVERYBODY now understands that the Wii U is done... You don't support a console that is selling 3 million units a year ! That's pure nonsense ! The Wii and the DS sold more than 20 million units in a single year ( several times ) ! That's more than the Wii U will EVER sell.

Nintendo is switching gears and putting ALL its resources in NX. Expect no games from Retro or EAD Kyoto coming to Wii U. The big studios have move on NX. And it makes ALL THE SENSE IN THE WOLRD !!! Why investing dozens of millions in games for a console that is pretty much dead ? It's better for Nintendo to invest that money in a console that can sell more in 1 year than the Wii U did in ALL its lifetime. Period.

I'm happy Iwata made that move, it's something I've been saying for years on this forum and it's happening.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

Since when you show games that are only releasing the same year at an E3 event ? Never !!!! It never happened before ! I challenged ANYBODY to bring a E3 where there wasn't a single game shown that was released the year later or even later.

I hope that EVERYBODY now understands that the Wii U is done... You don't support a console that is selling 3 million units a year ! That's pure nonsense ! The Wii and the DS sold more than 20 million units in a single year ( several times ) ! That's more than the Wii U will EVER sell.

Nintendo is switching gears and putting ALL its resources in NX. Expect no games from Retro or EAD Kyoto coming to Wii U. The big studios have move on NX. And it makes ALL THE SENSE IN THE WOLRD !!! Why investing dozens of millions in games for a console that is pretty much dead ? It's better for Nintendo to invest that money in a console that can sell more in 1 year than the Wii U did in ALL its lifetime. Period.

I'm happy Iwata made that move, it's something I've been saying for years on this forum and it's happening.
8f632.gif

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
This delay is reminding me of when it was announced only about a month ago that Uncharted 4 was going to be delayed into 2016. But here's the interesting thing. I recall that while there were a few people who disliked the delay, the responses was more leaned toward the good side. People thought it was a good thing because it would allow the game to be polished and better as a result with more development time.

By contrast, it's just seems there are more people who are upset with the Zelda delay, than when Uncharted 4 was delayed. No immediately some people will say how the PS4 is doing much better than the Wii U, so having that AAA title for the holidays is crucial, but it still doesn't change the fact that no developer should have to rush the game.

Now maybe I'm rushing to judgment myself, but it just seems that overall, the delay for Zelda is more negative than the Uncharted 4 delay.

Thoughts?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

I'll play.

I say this is the same Nintendo that turned e3 on it's ear last year and did there own thing.

This year they will totally focus on this years offerings and do there own thing again and just focus on 2015 with what they show.

Nintendo "Oh you think we should do that?"

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I know one thing, no Zelda @ E3 means it's going to go through some major changes somehow between now and when it releases in terms of what gameplay we have seen....

What changes are uncertain, but Nintendo obviously doesn't want people to play Zelda in its current state....

Probably because they don't want to send any mixed signal between how it is now and what it will be like when it's finally done....

I wonder if we aren't going to see some major shit or overhaul of Zelda U.... At least from what little we have seen....

jghtg.jpg

jghyh.jpg

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Funny thing about the 64DD version of Ocarina is that it shares more in common imo with the open world we have seen in Zelda U than any Zelda that has come out since....

You could see Nintendo had all the pieces in place to create a more free form open world in Ocarina, given the extra space the 64DD offered in terms of memory....

It's interesting that Nintendo has waited this long to revisit the idea of a more free form, open world Zelda experience....

I get that same feeling I got seeing those early screenshots of Zelda 64 that I get when I look at Zelda U.... It's like Deja Vu....

Only this time, at least it would seem, that Nintendo is going full steam ahead with this idea....

Last edited:
Majora did the whole "persistent world changing" thing pretty well, but the three day cycle was almost a 'cheat' rather than say Animal Crossing.

So it would be interesting to see if Nintendo decided to go back and do what they wanted Ocarina to be.

And hell, maybe they're not retooling anything. I guess we'll find out e3 2016...

Shoulder

It's possible they scrapped the idea because it simply wasn't possible on the N64. If I recall correctly, space was also an issue with OoT's cartridge a measly 32MB, which at the time was the largest cartridge for the N64 (64MB cartridges were used for Conker, RE2, and Pokemon Staium if my memory serves).

It is possible the world wasn't fully realized because it would've required too much space. Now, we know Nintendo to be wizards in space saving, because even today you see a game like Mario 3D World, and it's only 1.6GB, so in theory it could've almost fit a GCN disc had there been just a little bit more of compression. Impressive I say.

With regards to Zelda U though, space is of course not an issue, nor is horsepower, so Nintendo are probably at the point where they can finally realize the true potential of Hyrule they always wanted, and as such want to take as much time as needed.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Actually about the 2015 thing at e3 I'll do ya one better.

This really should not surprise anyone. Let's take a look back at last year I remember @LightsaberBlues and I commenting on it during the show.

A ton of stuff Nintendo showed was "look for it in 2015". It actually became kinda a running joke for us that everything they showed was for 2015.

Now couple that with the fact that Nintendo loves to show actual gameplay footage and not just clips or a FMV. Everything they will show this year will not be a tease. This will be a "This year is it's release, and this is what it will look and play like".

Now why would they do this? Well because there Nintendo for one, and two I think they love to do what the other guys are not. Let me explain

MS and Sony both love to show you videos of the most epic Shiz ever, EVEN if the game is still 2 years out. Also last year it was kinda a joke about how many "movies were shown from MS and Sony. And man that's frustrating I wanna see gameplay".

Think think again Nintendo last year went with a Treehouse and literally a whole day of them and there games when the competition was just showing movies and giving dates.

This year they are getting it right with having a whole day again which was a huge success. BUT they are fixing there wrongs of showing games that are so far out that it really dosent matter if there their or not because there so far out. They will only show games for the near future and grow the hype because there almost here WHILE giving us a huge days of gameplay in there conference and the treehouse to follow.

Shoulder

Actually about the 2015 thing at e3 I'll do ya one better.

This really should not surprise anyone. Let's take a look back at last year I remember @LightsaberBlues and I commenting on it during the show.

A ton of stuff Nintendo showed was "look for it in 2015". It actually became kinda a running joke for us that everything they showed was for 2015.

Now couple that with the fact that Nintendo loves to show actual gameplay footage and not just clips or a FMV. Everything they will show this year will not be a tease. This will be a "This year is it's release, and this is what it will look and play like".

Now why would they do this? Well because there Nintendo for one, and two I think they love to do what the other guys are not. Let me explain

MS and Sony both love to show you videos of the most epic Shiz ever, EVEN if the game is still 2 years out. Also last year it was kinda a joke about how many "movies were shown from MS and Sony. And man that's frustrating I wanna see gameplay".

Think think again Nintendo last year went with a Treehouse and literally a whole day of them and there games when the competition was just showing movies and giving dates.

This year they are getting it right with having a whole day again which was a huge success. BUT they are fixing there wrongs of showing games that are so far out that it really dosent matter if there their or not because there so far out. They will only show games for the near future and grow the hype because there almost here WHILE giving us a huge days of gameplay in there conference and the treehouse to follow.
It is interesting when you think about how some people thought Nintendo had a bad E3 last year because they...showed gameplay footage all week for their games? And yet, somehow showing a cinematic cut-scene of a trailer of a game is somehow better?

I, for one don't mind they are focusing on stuff for 2015. We still have a lot of content coming out between now and Dec 31st, and of course there are unannounced games as well. How many is another story, but Nintendo has said games, and not game, so I'm expecting at least 2-3 games that are currently unannounced, and at least one will make its way onto the Wii U in 2015.

I said this before, but IF the NX is both unveiled and launched in 2016, Nintendo may want to keep supporting the Wii U until the very end. It is also possible Nintendo want to keep "supporting" the Wii U platform, so Backwards compatibility will still be included.

Odo

NX... That's the "ONLY" logical explanation. Iwata said they won't talk about NX this year. So if Zelda is NOT EVEN shown at E3 it's because the game is being moved to NX. #Twilight Princess2.0
I don't believe NX will come out before November 2016.

If we need to wait until NX to play this Zelda, it'd suck a lot!

Or

NX will come out first half of November 2016

But it's unlikely, I think. Wii U is not that dead.

This delay is reminding me of when it was announced only about a month ago that Uncharted 4 was going to be delayed into 2016. But here's the interesting thing. I recall that while there were a few people who disliked the delay, the responses was more leaned toward the good side. People thought it was a good thing because it would allow the game to be polished and better as a result with more development time.

By contrast, it's just seems there are more people who are upset with the Zelda delay, than when Uncharted 4 was delayed. No immediately some people will say how the PS4 is doing much better than the Wii U, so having that AAA title for the holidays is crucial, but it still doesn't change the fact that no developer should have to rush the game.

Now maybe I'm rushing to judgment myself, but it just seems that overall, the delay for Zelda is more negative than the Uncharted 4 delay.

Thoughts?

Any "bad" news from Nintendo turns to "Nintendo is doomed" theory.

Nintendo isn't making games for mobile = Nintendo's doomed!
Nintendo is now making games for mobile = I knew it, Nintendo's doomed!
Nintendo is, of course, working on a new console = You see that? Nintendo's doomed!
Nintendo will delay Zelda = OMG, They now delay games!!! Nintendo's doomed!

Ex-Actarus

@Odo Wii U is not dead because Nintendo will still release game for it in 2015 and 2016, but They moved on. It takes at least 2 years to develop a game, you won't have ANY Nintendo studio starting to develop a game on Wii U today ( so for a 2017 or 2018 release ).

@mattavelle1 , last year Nintendo stole the show. But clearly this year, E3 won't be as strong. And with Nintendo already saying that Zelda Wii U won't make any appearances. Nintendo has some good and bad years at E3, I'm afraid E3 2015 will be poor, but thankfully E2016 will be amazing.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I'm not especially interested in speculating on the potential commercial ramifications of this delay. My bottom line is that a 2016 (2017?) release window provides the developers a better opportunity to realize something special. Good.

My attitude to the claim of a 2015 target from the beginning has been "heh, see you in 2016!". I feel like a delay was always the more likely outcome than a 2015 release. But they really doubled down on that 2015 claim recently. So much so that I was starting to get ever so slightly concerned they were going to meet it - and I say concerned because I think it would have inevitably been a somewhat disappointing game world if they had - beautiful perhaps, but spartan. The size of a game world just doesn't have quite the stand-alone appeal it once did - in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the more innovative games of the near future abandoning sparse sprawl and expanse in favour of collapsing game worlds into unprecedented density and richness of interactivity. When it came to this Zelda, "see that mountain over there - you can go there!", had less resonance for me than the potential of a compelling pitch for 'what there is to do along the way'.

Goodtwin

@Odo Wii U is not dead because Nintendo will still release game for it in 2015 and 2016, but They moved on. It takes at least 2 years to develop a game, you won't have ANY Nintendo studio starting to develop a game on Wii U today ( so for a 2017 or 2018 release ).

@mattavelle1 , last year Nintendo stole the show. But clearly this year, E3 won't be as strong. And with Nintendo already saying that Zelda Wii U won't make any appearances. Nintendo has some good and bad years at E3, I'm afraid E3 2015 will be poor, but thankfully E2016 will be amazing.
So........Last year everyone was expecting Nintendo to have the best E3? Im not saying that E3 looks great from what we know about right now, but if Nintendo is passing on showing Zelda, then that leads me to believe they feel confident in what they do have to show. There could be a title or two that totally blindsides people, and instantly have everyone talking.

I agree with @repomech on the vast world needing to be worth exploring. Empty fields with a few random enemies isnt going to cut it. I would also like to see villages with more than a handful of people living there, and shops and mini game stores to visit, and actually acquire useful items or abilities. I think the world can and should feel much more alive than ever before, and that likely brought about lots of new ideas. I love Zelda games, and have littel doubt that this one will end up great as well. I hate delays, but with Nintendo, you know its for the best and you kind of knew it was coming anyway.

EvilTw1n

I hope that EVERYBODY now understands that the Wii U is done...
Every console is "done" after a few years on the market. That's not exactly news. Showing off NX in 2016 would most likely mean a 2017 release; if it's a Wii U replacement, then it would give the U the usual 5 years on the market. There's probably a grand total of zero people here who thought the U would go beyond 2017.
I'm not especially interested in speculating on the potential commercial ramifications of this delay. My bottom line is that a 2016 (2017?) release window provides the developers a better opportunity to realize something special. Good.

My attitude to the claim of a 2015 target from the beginning has been "heh, see you in 2016!". I feel like a delay was always the more likely outcome than a 2015 release. But they really doubled down on that 2015 claim recently. So much so that I was starting to get ever so slightly concerned they were going to meet it - and I say concerned because I think it would have inevitably been a somewhat disappointing game world if they had - beautiful perhaps, but spartan. The size of a game world just doesn't have quite the stand-alone appeal it once did - in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the more innovative games of the near future abandoning sparse sprawl and expanse in favour of collapsing game worlds into unprecedented density and richness of interactivity. When it came to this Zelda, "see that mountain over there - you can go there!", had less resonance for me than the potential of a compelling pitch for 'what there is to do along the way'.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. If size is what you want, just go pop Twilight Princess back in and wander around (@CitizenOfVerona did that recently).
So........Last year everyone was expecting Nintendo to have the best E3? Im not saying that E3 looks great from what we know about right now, but if Nintendo is passing on showing Zelda, then that leads me to believe they feel confident in what they do have to show. There could be a title or two that totally blindsides people, and instantly have everyone talking.
We shall see. Retro sure has been quiet...

(And I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to have another Platinum collab secretly in the works.)

In Twilight I'm currently at the Snowpeak Temple, and I'm noticing how the world is made.

It's empty, but there are quite a few caves or hillsides to climb, holes in the ground to dig, etc. It's fun exploring in that childhood sense of going into the woods behind your house and seeing what you can find. I'm liking it for sure, but it's still relatively empty for the size it is.

The last few Zelda games (Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask 3D) really bring back that dense world to explore. LBW has so much shit to do and uncover, where Majora has a smaller world filled with more interesting characters to get side quests from. There's always a mini--game/store to find. What I want from Zelda U is a mix of the two.

One the one hand I can go into "childhood" mood and just find caves and rocks to bomb, but whenever I want, I can talk to almost any random NPC and get an update to the Bomber's Notebook (a quest log for those who haven't played).

Games are evolving quite a bit, it's a bit frustrating to see Zelda kinda glued to the Ocarina of Time blueprint so stubbornly. I love the games, but on the Wii U, it can and should be so much more. Hopefully this delay is meaningful and not just a "we're still learning how to use the gamepad"

edit: If Zelda U is just a "Cat Mario" than I'm out :p

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I'm almost certain that Nintendo needs more time to figure out how to create a seemless open world....

It's something Nintendo has never really done before in terms of creating an open world type game that can compete with the contemperary open world games we have been playing for the past few years....

My guess is it is proving more trying than they had anticipated.... Creating the best open worlds in video games is no small task, and even the best game Dev's (R*) that make these kinds of games pump countless resources and manpower into them for years to get it right....

The bar for open world games has been raised considerably over the corse of just the last 5 years.... It's something I imagine Nintendo is taking into account when developing this new Zelda game....

EvilTw1n

I'm almost certain that Nintendo needs more time to figure out how to create a seemless open world....

It's something Nintendo has never really done before in terms of creating an open world type game that can compete with the contemperary open world games we have been playing for the past few years....

My guess is it is proving more trying than they had anticipated.... Creating the best open worlds in video games is no small task, and even the best game Dev's (R*) that make these kinds of games pump countless resources and manpower into them for years to get it right....

The bar for open world games has been raised considerably over the corse of just the last 5 years.... It's something I imagine Nintendo is taking into account when developing this new Zelda game....
Well, there are plenty of challenges with any Zelda. Part of this one is technical; I was only half-joking a few weeks back when I said "look at the tree pop-in" (ever-so-slightly visible at 4:40, and there was some texture popping throughout). Wind Waker was open, but the islands were quite small. Nintendo got more accustomed to zone loading; Twilight Princess is an open world structured game, but is built around loading to simplify rendering and draw distance. So EAD's technical challenge is to build a world bigger than Twilight Princess without zone loading, while also filling it up with as much content-per-screen as a game like A Link Between Worlds. And do it with minimal pop-in, a locked framerate, and a new art style. That's a pretty daunting challenge on its own.

Then you look across the office and realize Monolithsoft has already cracked how to make a seamless, open world. And they're launching their game before EAD. That's a big challenge.

Then you realize there are probably a good chunk of younger gamers who have spent time in AC or GTA as their open-world gaming introduction, and this will be their first Zelda.

It's no wonder this game got delayed.

Koenig

The Architect
Yes.

It's like they're scared shitless after Twilight Princess to show off a game for a few E3 presentations.
That is about the same thing as them being scared of good PR, which, to be honest, sounds exactly like them at this point. Twilight Princess was hands down one of Nintendo's finest momments at E3; I can't think of any valid reason they should not strive to top it.

EvilTw1n

That is about the same thing as them being scared of good PR, which, to be honest, sounds exactly like them at this point.
It seems like they're freaked out about showing off games too far before launch. Their pattern since then has been to show off games closer to their development completion. Which is just dumb. You generate hype by showing a game. Who cares if it's another year off from launch? Hype me up. That's the only way to generate consumer excitement.

That Twilight Princess reveal is one of the all-time great E3 moments. It isn't replicable (no "Celda" hangover right now), but you can still get people pumped up.

[I am starting to wonder if there's going to be some real graphical differences implemented, though. It's only April. They'd have until the game goes gold - presumably October - to hide little caves, add collectables, put in some NPC fetch questing, polish mini games, etc. That's not exactly a reason to delay a game for a year. But polishing the visuals is usually last in line in development, so maybe they could be dickering with the art on top of everything else.]

I just don't think Ninty can hype anything anymore.

These Ninty Directs, while cool, just don't do it. They always say "yeah we got a new Mario, wait til E3"

Then E3 pops around, they say an "okay" trailer, and people say "yup, that's the new Mario game we knew about since last February".

That Mega Man reveal video of Smash could have been a Twilight Princess thing if they did it for a live audience and they didn't say the year before "we got a new Smash in the works". They always spoil the surprise themselves.

Ex-Actarus

@EvilTw1n , Nintendo is NOT going to maintain a console 5 years in the market because it's the typical length for a gen.

Fist of All, the 5 years gen cycle is NO MORE ! Not a SINGLE console lasted 5 years last gen, they ALL without exception had a longer cycle ( Wii, 360, PS3, DS and PSP ). Why ? Because consumers were still buying consoles and games were still selling crazy ( GTA V anyone ? ). It's not like after 5 years Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft said " it's been 5 years now, we need to stop supporting our console and move one to the next gen". That's not how it work...

Secondly, 3rd party devs have deserted the Wii U for pretty much a year now. So Nintendo is supposed to supported the console by themselves for 3 years or more ? Come on ! They have to lose money, year after year, just because 5 years is the norm ( which is not anymore by the way ) ? No way !

Thirdly, NX. We've discussed it at length on other threads. Why announcing your next console in the middle of the gen of your console. You NEVER do that. Unless, you're moving on, that's what they're doing. And the delay of Zelda Wii U coincides with the Reveal of NX which will happen next year... It could be a coincidence, I give you that. But with the Twilight Princess precedent, I don't think so.

Koenig

The Architect
Nintendo needs to understand that E3 is the place to generate hype for new games, not the Nintendo direct. The former is ideal for reveals and generating hype, the latter is better for providing information. Nothing I say or anything anyone else outside of the board of directors says for that matter is going to change how Nintendo operates, but the fact is they are often lost in there own little world; completely oblivious to the whims and wants of the industry and market at large. At least however, they understand how to make great games.

EvilTw1n

@EvilTw1n , Nintendo is NOT going to maintain a console 5 years in the market because it's the typical length for a gen.

Fist of All, the 5 years gen cycle is NO MORE ! Not a SINGLE console lasted 5 years last gen, they ALL without exception had a longer cycle ( Wii, 360, PS3, DS and PSP ). Why ? Because consumers were still buying consoles and games were still selling crazy ( GTA V anyone ? ). It's not like after 5 years Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft said " it's been 5 years now, we need to stop supporting our console and move one to the next gen". That's not how it work...

Secondly, 3rd party devs have deserted the Wii U for pretty much a year now. So Nintendo is supposed to supported the console by themselves for 3 years or more ? Come on ! They have to lose money, year after year, just because 5 years is the norm ( which is not anymore by the way ) ? No way !

Thirdly, NX. We've discussed it at length on other threads. Why announcing your next console in the middle of the gen of your console. You NEVER do that. Unless, you're moving on, that's what they're doing. And the delay of Zelda Wii U coincides with the Reveal of NX which will happen next year... It could be a coincidence, I give you that. But with the Twilight Princess precedent, I don't think so.
The point from which a console is launched to when its successor is launched is its main life cycle. This isn't even a debatable point, and yes, for a home console* it's usually been 4-6 years. Sometimes you can stretch an extra year out. But new consoles don't launch because someone looks at a calendar; they launch because tech changes and sale curves bend. Would Nintendo keep Wii U on the market longer before launching a successor if the U were out-selling its competitors by a wide margin? Most likely. But its main life cycle lasting from 2012 to 2016 (or 2017, more likely) is not really historically unusual.

[*Handhelds are a touch different. The GBC was out for 3 years before the GBA launched. The GBA was out for 3 years before the DS launched. The DS, though, was out for 7 years before the 3DS, which was a good run, but was marked by serious revisions to the hardware that helped keep it fresh. I can see Nintendo continuing that practice.]

Last edited:

Odo

[I am starting to wonder if there's going to be some real graphical differences implemented, though. It's only April. They'd have until the game goes gold - presumably October - to hide little caves, add collectables, put in some NPC fetch questing, polish mini games, etc. That's not exactly a reason to delay a game for a year. But polishing the visuals is usually last in line in development, so maybe they could be dickering with the art on top of everything else.]

Guys, new Zelda U screenshots have just been leaked!!!!!!!!!!!

ZELDA U TECH DEMO - LINK CHARACTER DESIGN 2014

ZELDA U FINAL GAME - LINK CHARACTER DESIGN

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

Ex, you know as well as we do that they announced the name of NX and said we'd get more information on it next year for one reason and one reason only:
They were announcing the new mobile program, and at the same time, they wanted to reassure their fans that they weren't abandoning manufacturing their own hardware or leaving that market.
If they hadn't done something like they did, all the headlines would have said "Nintendo Leaves Home Console Market For Mobile, Goes 3rd Party".

Ex-Actarus

Ex, you know as well as we do that they announced the name of NX and said we'd get more information on it next year for one reason and one reason only:
They were announcing the new mobile program, and at the same time, they wanted to reassure their fans that they weren't abandoning manufacturing their own hardware or leaving that market.
If they hadn't done something like they did, all the headlines would have said "Nintendo Leaves Home Console Market For Mobile, Goes 3rd Party".
That's what some people believe, but I disagree. Iwata could have said "don't worry our R&D is still working on future consoles, we're not out of the hardware business" and that's it. Nope ! He decided to drop the name ( or the codename ) of the console and specifically said they would give details in 2016.

This was very surprising for MANY analysts. Not sure, Iwata needed to go that far. Of course by announcing a new hardware now, it clearly sends the wrong message regarding Wii U long term support. And the ultimate blow was the delay of Zelda Wii U next + the now show E3 2015 ( even more surprising ). This is again possibly a coincidence, but for ALL the gaming conspiracy theorists ( as myself ), it's another proof the Wii U is done.

Don't worry, you still get your 100$, even if I have the moral victory :)

Ex-Actarus

Nintendo needs to understand that E3 is the place to generate hype for new games, not the Nintendo direct. The former is ideal for reveals and generating hype, the latter is better for providing information. Nothing I say or anything anyone else outside of the board of directors says for that matter is going to change how Nintendo operates, but the fact is they are often lost in there own little world; completely oblivious to the whims and wants of the industry and market at large. At least however, they understand how to make great games.
I guess you're referring to SMT x Fire Emblem trailer. I have to say I'me very surprised they decided to unveil this now and not wait for E3. I hope this means they have enough stuff to announce at E3, but with the Zelda U no show, I'm not very confident... We'll see !

Koenig

The Architect
I guess you're referring to SMT x Fire Emblem trailer. I have to say I'me very surprised they decided to unveil this now and not wait for E3. I hope this means they have enough stuff to announce at E3, but with the Zelda U no show, I'm not very confident... We'll see !
I am referring to their entire marketing strategy for the past few years. Nintendo treats E3 like it is a garage sale event rather than the mass multimedia event that it is. Had it not been for Treehouse, last years E3 would have been terrible.

Ex-Actarus

I am referring to their entire marketing strategy for the past few years. Nintendo treats E3 like it is a garage sale event rather than the mass multimedia event that it is. Had it not been for Treehouse, last years E3 would have been terrible.
Still they had the best E3 last year, not bad for a company that did not even had a press conference :)

I really think Nintendo will go back to a traditional conference with NX. I don't think it would be wise to present a new hardware in a Nintendo direct style. The way the unveil the 3DS is the way to go : press conference follow by the ability to try the new device on the floor.

Koenig

The Architect
Still they had the best E3 last year, not bad for a company that did not even had a press conference :)

I really think Nintendo will go back to a traditional conference with NX. I don't think it would be wise to present a new hardware in a Nintendo direct style. The way the unveil the 3DS is the way to go : press conference follow by the ability to try the new device on the floor.
But I dare to say it was only because of the treehouse event. The actual direct they held was pretty poor all things considered.

I do agree however that a traditional press conference akin to how they announced the 3DS would be they way to go, but on that note I do hope they make the tree house event a regular occurrence at E3.