Zelda Wii U - Innovative Uses for GamePad

What are some innovative uses for the Wii U game pad that you think Nintendo will implement with the next major Zelda title? I'd be disappointed if it was only used to show a minimap/inventory. At the same time, I hope we don't see it used in a weird way- for example, what I would consider weird is holding the Wii U pad in front of you to aim the bow and arrow, which for me would kils the immersion for me as it doesn't really make much sense.

To be completely honest, I'm worried about what they might do and I kind of hope we can just use the pro controller and the Wii U pad can be left as something for a secondary player/optional peripheral.

What are you expecting it to be used for?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"Syndicat3" wrote: What are some innovative uses for the Wii U game pad that you think Nintendo will implement with the next major Zelda title? I'd be disappointed if it was only used to show a minimap/inventory. At the same time, I hope we don't see it used in a weird way- for example, what I would consider weird is holding the Wii U pad in front of you to aim the bow and arrow, which for me would kils the immersion for me as it doesn't really make much sense.

To be completely honest, I'm worried about what they might do and I kind of hope we can just use the pro controller and the Wii U pad can be left as something for a secondary player/optional peripheral.

What are you expecting it to be used for?
More than likely, Nintendo will not make it so you have to aim the GamePad at the screen for aiming weapons and the second screen will more than likely be used for the HUD, inventory, etc. like how it was used on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. That's about as far as I'd like to see them push the GamePad for the next Zelda on the Wii-U. Just having the second screen used like how it was on the 3DS would be just fine and was VERY convenient

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"Majorbuddah" wrote:
"Superfakerbros" wrote:
"Majorbuddah" wrote:
they'll probably do a lot of teh same stuff they did on the ds zeldas. that's all the wii u is, essentially. a giant ds.
That's what the GamePad is but the console itself...no
how could the gamepad be a dual screen when it only has one screen?
What I mean is that the GamePad acts as a second screen

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I hope it doesn't use the gamepad at all. I want another Motion Plus Zelda, that stuff was brilliant.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"juegosmajicos" wrote: I hope it doesn't use the gamepad at all. I want another Motion Plus Zelda, that stuff was brilliant.
Same here but with us being able to aim our items using the IR pointer controls instead of motion controls and for actions such as swimming to not require motion controls. Other than that, the controls were great!

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
"juegosmajicos" wrote: I hope it doesn't use the gamepad at all. I want another Motion Plus Zelda, that stuff was brilliant.
Same here. Skyward Sword had motion plus introduced in the middle of development. I want a Zelda with motion plus controls from the ground up.

After that they make a gamepad Zelda for all I care.

i thought i just read that they were disappointed that some people couldnt get the hang of the motion controls, and some people stopped playing mid way thru, so when the next zelda comes out, it will be optional to use motion control.. read that on ign boards earlier. if true, im kool with that. it will mean that motion wont play an extremely important part of the game because it will be designed to be played with the gamepad or motion control. so i dont see the next zelda being exactly like skyward sword in the control department. but i also cant wait to see what nintendo will do with the gamepad on what is arguably their most important, biggest franchise outside of mario. i can think of many interesting things they could do, but they will most likely surprise us all by doing something very unique with it. it offers tons of possibilities for dungeons and what not. cant wait.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think the problem with having options is that motion controls are held back by standard control options. You can't really harness its full potential if the game has to be designed to work with a regular controller. The opposite is true of the Wii gamepad as well. If there is a motion option, how can developers get the best out of the second screen?

I don't think Skyward Sword really gave us the full potential. It also had some hiccups in the controls (some that Battle Quest fixes). I think it is very apparent that Skyward Sword started its life as a game played with the regular wiimote and nunchuk.

The only way to make the option viable would be to design two completely different combat systems. Otherwise one option will end up gimped. Like if you choose motion, it's all direction based, if you choose buttons, the direction could be automatic and the focus would be more on timing.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
First off all, we are going to need a special strap that wraps around the GamePad that will allow you to securely fasten the GamePad to your hand while giving you the ability to reach the analog stick. If you are having trouble imagining it, basically picture what it would be like if you duct taped the GamePad to one of your hands so that you can see the screen. Great, now you have a shield! In your other hand, you hold a WiiMote - your sword.

The thing is, while the GamePad acts as the Shield, it also shows a map, and health indicators, and whatnot. Menu's also appear on the GamePad, but you make selections by point it the screen with the WiiMote. New item: Mirror Shield, it let's you see behind you, so as you are waving the thing around, it shows what is behind you. Yay!

I can feel it, your excitement levels are rising, but don't get too attached to the idea. It is after all, only my guess, as awesome as it may be. Also, no need to bother telling me how truly inspired this idea is, I already know.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Did anyone else pick up a Wii U Gamepad just to test DD's idea?

I don't think you would even need a strap. The gamepad has great ergonomics. You could hold it long ways and still use a control stick.

I don't see it happening, but it's fun to think about.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
"Acesonnall" wrote:
"Majorbuddah" wrote:
"Superfakerbros" wrote:
"Majorbuddah" wrote:
they'll probably do a lot of teh same stuff they did on the ds zeldas. that's all the wii u is, essentially. a giant ds.
That's what the GamePad is but the console itself...no
how could the gamepad be a dual screen when it only has one screen?
Didn't you just call the Gamepad a giant DS?
i called the wii u a giant ds. that's what it is, really. they looked at the success and unique gameplay on the ds and said "how can we bring this to our next console". i always thought that was kind of obvious...

I'd rather see Motion+ implemented again. The Zelda series is something I can't see gaining any innovation from the Gamepad. It would be traditional 3D Zelda controls, a step back to "B, B, B, enemy is dead" and aiming with analog sticks. Why? So I can pick the clawshot in real time? So I can look at a map? I've seen this before. the DS Zelda's did it, OoT 3D has done it. And holding up the Gamepad to activate the lens of truth doesn't really sound groundbreaking. Especially when you had third party devs talking about holding it up for a different view. As said before, SS had M+ added in midway through development. Wii Sports Resort may be a little rough around the edges, but the sword controls were honestly better. What's sad is that the Bug Net IN SS had better Motion controls than the swordplay.

A new Zelda that doesn't concentrate heavily on showcasing M+ like SS (I still love that game though, but I will admit that there was quite a bit of showcasing.), and concentrates itself on being a new Zelda, BUT with Motion+ built from the ground up and used appropriately, would be amazing. Meaning, I want to aim the bow or clawshot with IR, and keep the motion stuff to things like Bug Nets, the sword, and rolling or tossing bombs (That was cool.) Though if there is any skydiving involved in this game, I'm cool with that being controlled with the M+, that felt right. Where swimming worked well, but felt like an odd place to insert M+.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
If it has to use the pad, I would like to see different perspectives. Skyward Sword and Other M had gameplay involving a switch from 1st to 3rd.

It makes sense because different perspectives yield different benefits. First person is better for shooting and third is better for platforming (yes, i've played mirror's edge). If it has to be on the gamepad, let me aim with the gamepad because that is better than just DA, but if you love DA, you can just hold the controller still.

So I would like to see a game designed that has switching between this two perspective game modes be simply just looking at the other screen.

i would prefer the next zelda game to use the wii motion plus controller. nintendo has other franchises better suited to show off the innovative uses of the gamepad.

that being said, the gamepad could be used in so many ways for a zelda game.
  • drawing bombchu paths on the touchscreen[/*:m]
  • steering the beetle[/*:m]
  • they could make an item that uses the gamepad to show the player the environment from a different perspective, like a security camera.[/*:m]
  • minigames[/*:m]
  • making notes on map[/*:m]
  • inventory management[/*:m]
  • and a bunch of other stuff only nintendo could ever think of[/*:m][/list:u]

I tried holding the pad one handed, it's too hard to manipulate the stick and keep it stable if you're holding it up off your lap like a shield or view finder or whatever. My hands are pretty big too.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Eggers" wrote: I tried holding the pad one handed, it's too hard to manipulate the stick and keep it stable if you're holding it up off your lap like a shield or view finder or whatever. My hands are pretty big too.
Do what nerdman said, hold it sideways (sticks on the left side). Then you can hold it and get really good access to the right stick and 'x' and 'y', plus maybe 'ZR'.

Yeah that's much more manageable. I can still reach all four face buttons too, but it feels like I'd constantly press ZL ZR by accident. I believe it could work, but I don't believe Nintendo would try it. Anyway total shield control could be done even easier by mapping it to the remote. Holding the block button could switch from sword to shield control. I dont think it's necessary though. And actually one of the changes I'd like to see includes ditching the shield and the ability to block altogether in favor of dodging attacks and deflecting using sword swipes.