Zelda Wii U Tech Demo Vs Monolith Soft's "X"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

(Thread inspired from ign wii u boards)

Some facts: Zelda HD Experience is real-time, but there's no direct feed video of the tech demo. The Zelda Tech Demo also has no sound, music/sound was just added by youtubers. The Zelda HD Tech demo was also displayed almost 2 years ago as well.

So obviously comparing an off-screen shot to a direct feed is a little bit unfair, but the comparison is still doable. Is there a gap between the capabilities of both games and how wide is it?

X is still in the early developmental stages yet we already see high quality character/monster models that come close, match, or slightly surpass the models in the Zelda tech demo. I must say though, the animations in the Zelda Tech Demo look slightly better than the ones seen in Monolith's X, but that's because it was a cinematic, but still.

Reflections in the Zelda Tech Demo compared to X look significantly better, but seeing as the tech demo is using a marble floor, clearly it would. I can't detect any use of ray tracing in any of these videos which would be nice to have, but the Zelda Tech Demo does make good use of anti-aliasing in comparison to X. I have to hand it to X for that impressive draw distance though, the scale is massive and the game still manages to maintain it's graphics and performance fidelity.

The tech demo ill eclipses an early massive skyrim capacity open world game,but are there still any doubts that the next Zelda will outshine the tech demo as it traditionally tends to do?

I must say though, if the next Zelda possessed tessellated hair ( :> ), I'd be the happiest man on earth. <:p

well the zelda tech demo does look better and i'm sure the next zelda game will look even better but Xeno still wins for me (at the moment) because achieving those visual in such a huge and detailed world is beyond impressive imo

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'd say X is definitely comparable to the Zelda tech demo, at the very least, and, seeing as that's the case, I can't wait to see what Zelda will actually look like on the Wii-U

Zelda Tech demo

What i liked- The lighting and shadows were amazing as well as other visual effects like the smoke, fire and Navi's light trail. Great animation and Art. Spiders high res textures.

What i don't like- looked Low polygon, no AA or bad AA, The water seemed very flat, small room, some low res textures. Scripted

X

What I liked- Large Environment, waterfall and cloud effects, mech animation, looked high poly, improved character animation in battle compared to xenoblade, dismemberment, grass everywhere

What I don't like- some choppy animation, flat water, some low res visual special effects, Art direction could be better, color palate, texture pop-in, the face at the end of trailer was very low poly (well at least the hair was), low res textures on some enemies

Zelda Tech demo

What i liked- The lighting and shadows were amazing as well as other visual effects like the smoke, fire and Navi's light trail. Great animation and Art. Spiders high res textures.

What i don't like- looked Low polygon, no AA or bad AA, The water seemed very flat, small room, some low res textures. Scripted

X

What I liked- Large Environment, waterfall and cloud effects, mech animation, looked high poly, improved character animation in battle compared to xenoblade, dismemberment, grass everywhere

What I don't like- some choppy animation, flat water, some low res visual special effects, Art direction could be better, color palate, texture pop-in, the face at the end of trailer was very low poly (well at least the hair was), low res textures on some enemies
That's a big one for me. It almost looks washed out.

One thing that is really impressive to me about X that I didn't notice before is the Shadows are all real shadows. It does all of this with real shadows, they aren't compressed and blocky or round, background objects like trees cast shadows, cut off limbs cast real shadows, and the players and monsters all cast real shadows while doing all of this other stuff. The shadows also highlight that the ground is uneven, not just textured rocks because the shadows distort when they hit the geometry. It impresses me because as far as I can tell, they took no shortcuts with that! Really impressive.

For me is Monolith's X since it's an actual game. With Zelda, everything can happen but as Jace pointed out, Zelda games surpass the tech demos even with different art style. :)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I have 2 concerns about X
1. that is isn't really a good story based rpg and is more of a monster hunter-esque game... I hope the multiplayer is just a mode like in the last story... but deeper/bigger and that there is still a great single player story driven game there

2. that the game wont have environmental diversity... I want what xenobalde gave me.. radically different environments... though the first xenoblade trailer didn't really show much diversity either if I remember correctly

I have 2 concerns about X
1. that is isn't really a good story based rpg and is more of a monster hunter-esque game... I hope the multiplayer is just a mode like in the last story... but deeper/bigger and that there is still a great single player story driven game there

2. that the game wont have environmental diversity... I want what xenobalde gave me.. radically different environments... though the first xenoblade trailer didn't really show much diversity either if I remember correctly
2. Is the key to living up to xenoblade's epicness

Xeno games are notoriously long, I think even if it were a MMO or a PSO styled MMO, I doubt this will be the entire game map (especially because it only showed one city), and being Monolithsoft, and the cast, I doubt this is all there'll be to environment diversity.
As for actual game structure, what the final game will be... I wouldn't think too much on it from the video. It's not a trailer it's a teaser, I mean, without the black parts that mention the names of the staff and the shulk-like hero shoe-horned in at the end, this would be an internal presentation to show off features of a game engine. I strongly feel that this game wasn't meant to be shown yet and this trailer was thrown together in a week's or less time. (There is just too much stuff left in unpolished for an actual trailer, stuff that would take less than 5 mins to fix, I'm not sure anyone is that type of developer, even those we'd consider lazier would show concepts like this through bull-shots, FMA videos, or concept arts instead, unless they are just showing something that would normally be an internal video)
But yeah, it's really too early to tell anything about anything really, features can come and go... but honestly, I hope it manages to do something like what Pokemon is trying with X and Y and make a game that feels both offline and online. With the personal offline story experience, but still something where your friends can come in on your adventure and can join you or what not. Maybe have some features post game of adding in new quest content for post game, but having a satisfying narative adventure before hand. Right now, I'm hoping 2 things, the doll combat is as detailed or more detailed than the on foot combat, and that you do make your own character and play as yourself (in their game world).

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
it's not even close IMO. the zelda demo blows X out of the water. the reflections, particle effects, lighting (dat lighting), animations, attention to detail... there's really nothing in that X trailer that isn't done better in the zelda demo.

i'm glad you guys are excited for the game and everything, but from a graphical standpoint, X doesn't even look that good. it's OK for a current gen game.
edit: i take that back. the environments look pretty good for a current gen game, assuming it's actually rendering the entire world and not just zones like xenoblade.

it's not even close IMO. the zelda demo blows X out of the water. the reflections, particle effects, lighting (dat lighting), animations, attention to detail... there's really nothing in that X trailer that isn't done better in the zelda demo.

i'm glad you guys are excited for the game and everything, but from a graphical standpoint, X doesn't even look that good. it's OK for a current gen game.
edit: i take that back. the environments look pretty good for a current gen game, assuming it's actually rendering the entire world and not just zones like xenoblade.
I can agree with that. I think the Zelda demo just had more to show is all though so I counted that fact out of the evaluation.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

Well yeah, that's the caveat - scale. And Xenoblade's scale was impressive, even with some loads. Consider its Wii contemporary, The Last Story. You could comfortably fit TLS's hub (Lazulis) in XB many times over, in quite a few different XB areas. Xenoblade traded off detail for massive scale; X looks like it will do the same.

The Zelda tech demo has a much narrower scope (we're talking about one room here), and it's not gameplay. Even still...just on a pure eye candy level, it's prettier to my eyes, despite all of the above. I loved the TP art style, and I really hope they don't retire it outright for the painterly look of SS (although I loved that, too).

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

Well yeah, that's the caveat - scale. And Xenoblade's scale was impressive, even with some loads. Consider its Wii contemporary, The Last Story. You could comfortably fit TLS's hub (Lazulis) in XB many times over, in quite a few different XB areas. Xenoblade traded off detail for massive scale; X looks like it will do the same.

The Zelda tech demo has a much narrower scope (we're talking about one room here), and it's not gameplay. Even still...just on a pure eye candy level, it's prettier to my eyes, despite all of the above. I loved the TP art style, and I really hope they don't retire it outright for the painterly look of SS (although I loved that, too).

i agree. for the reasons you stated, it doesn't even make sense to compare X to the zelda demo anyways, but here we are haha.

If it doesn't make sense to compare X with Zelda graphically, then it doesn't make any sense to compare Battlefield 3 with BLOPS 2 (or compare any games for the matter).

Let's stay on topic.

Still don't know why people were mad with WW not looking like the Space World demo. It was ugly and creepy as Hell.

But I do expect it to be an improvement over what the demo gave us, regardless of style.

Still don't know why people were mad with WW not looking like the Space World demo. It was ugly and creepy as Hell.

But I do expect it to be an improvement over what the demo gave us, regardless of style.
I guess people were dealing with feelings of surprise after they expected to get a more realistic looking Zelda.
I'm personally not a fan of the cell-shading art style for WW HD looks fantastic in my opinion.

I get what you are saying, and why you are saying what you are saying, because stylistically Zelda looks leaps and bounds better, but there are only two characters in that that cast shadows, and Link and the Spider both look lower in Polygon count than the player characters and enemies in X. They also are running a completely scripted animation so it's hard to say which parts are working harder. The Zelda trailer has better Lighting in it, and the characters cast a reflection on a reflective surface, but it's textures don't look as completed (although it could just be because it's a tech demo) and the water is basically the same, except X has much more of it. (Actually, I take that back, the both feature tessellation, but Zelda's is more complete than I thought. I thought they both seemed completely incomplete, but that's not true especially if it interacts with the bats or fairy, to which I am having a hard time to tell. Both cast reflections of environments, but I can't tell if Zelda's also cast a reflection for the active game objects, X doesn't, yet at least... Actually, I'm even less sure, Zelda's still looks more advanced, but I'm not sure how much more advanced, they definitely seem like they could be re-using the same assets, it makes me wonder if Monolith did the Zelda demo because of it.We already know they did the Character animations in Skyward Sword, it's entirely possible they did this given that all it was is character animations)
It really is hard to compare these two titles, one being open world and the other being a small closed space, but I still think X looks over all more impressive because the things that it shows it doing are more impressive technical feats. That said, stylistically, it's not as impressive, Zelda demo is "prettier" (mostly due to lighting). I don't mean to step on your toes or anything, just explain why I think it's more impressive than the Zelda demo. Compared to Xbox360 and PS3? I dunno, it's more complicated, I think I'm more stuck on answering that one because I feel like the game is possible to do on those systems, especially if some sacrifices are made, and that said it's a largely incomplete plains area. I'm not sure if this is Monolith trying to show how much they are pushing the WiiU with that over all choice, only more of a book mark to show all they've already accomplished with it's details.

Speaking of Wii U adventure/RPG tech demos, this one might be the best because it stars Doshin the Giant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDe2rb4K7OY&hd=1

Okay, so that's not Doshin, but it is some giant humanoid creature with very long arms. And dare I say it looks like it will be another splendid RPG on Wii U.

Aki

It's hard to say if the next Zelda will eclipse it's tech demo, but I think it will. The reason why I say that is because after having replayed Uncharted 3 recently, the tech demo doesn't look much better, if it even looks better, than UC3. I think it's definitely possible that Nintendo can surpass the tech demo. However, unless they use a similar art style to the tech demo, the comparison will be hard to make.

I think the Zelda HD Demo is getting a little bit too much credit to the point where the graphics artist is taking the credit from the actual texture artist who made the entire place look as beautiful as it does.
Monolith's X is very early and if they could hire a better texture artist (and change the color palate), I'm sure it could actually look a lot more impressive than it does now stylistically.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

I get what you are saying, and why you are saying what you are saying, because stylistically Zelda looks leaps and bounds better, but there are only two characters in that that cast shadows, and Link and the Spider both look lower in Polygon count than the player characters and enemies in X. They also are running a completely scripted animation so it's hard to say which parts are working harder. The Zelda trailer has better Lighting in it, and the characters cast a reflection on a reflective surface, but it's textures don't look as completed (although it could just be because it's a tech demo) and the water is basically the same, except X has much more of it. (Actually, I take that back, the both feature tessellation, but Zelda's is more complete than I thought. I thought they both seemed completely incomplete, but that's not true especially if it interacts with the bats or fairy, to which I am having a hard time to tell. Both cast reflections of environments, but I can't tell if Zelda's also cast a reflection for the active game objects, X doesn't, yet at least... Actually, I'm even less sure, Zelda's still looks more advanced, but I'm not sure how much more advanced, they definitely seem like they could be re-using the same assets, it makes me wonder if Monolith did the Zelda demo because of it.We already know they did the Character animations in Skyward Sword, it's entirely possible they did this given that all it was is character animations)
It really is hard to compare these two titles, one being open world and the other being a small closed space, but I still think X looks over all more impressive because the things that it shows it doing are more impressive technical feats. That said, stylistically, it's not as impressive, Zelda demo is "prettier" (mostly due to lighting). I don't mean to step on your toes or anything, just explain why I think it's more impressive than the Zelda demo. Compared to Xbox360 and PS3? I dunno, it's more complicated, I think I'm more stuck on answering that one because I feel like the game is possible to do on those systems, especially if some sacrifices are made, and that said it's a largely incomplete plains area. I'm not sure if this is Monolith trying to show how much they are pushing the WiiU with that over all choice, only more of a book mark to show all they've already accomplished with it's details.

you just outlined, as mike d did, why it doesn't really make sense to compare these two trailers. they're trying to accomplish different things. while i thought the zelda demo looked great (even if it isn't mind blowing or whatever), X just looks kind of meh IMO. it's got a very bland color palette, and it's just not that much improved, even from a technical standpoint, over what we've been seeing for years. i'm looking for more out of a brand new $350 console than what i'm seeing with X. want great looking giant monsters? check out lost planet 2. want impressive over worlds? check out just case 2. i do think X's over world looks pretty good, just not a big improvement over anything else, and the most impressive thing would be if it was seamless instead of separate zones like xenoblade. time will tell though. it's got a lot of dev time left to go, and we've only seen the one environment.